The real weight - record related

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I just got off the phone with a friend who accidentally let his landlord and property owner in his apt. and now they are telling him he cant have 2 full Xpedits on the floor because the house is just beams underneath and it could crash through etc.. They are asking him to disperse the weight to the outer corners (or some shit) or else move out. Damn! So I got to thinking... what does 100 records weigh on average? How much weight can a normal floor take? How much does a full Xpedit weigh? I know it sounds lame what they are saying but I used to crawl under houses daily in my job and I know that many older houses are only supported by cement pylons placed in various spots etc.. So in an earthquake or shifting I suppose it could be possible that the floor would just cave in under the immense weight of a large collection. But on the other hand.....in the 60's and 70's everyone had mad books and records in their homes and was it ever a concern then? Who knows?Well I'm just hoping there is no earthquake anytime soon.Does anyone have a good scale handy and the time to count out 100 records (or even 50)?Just curious.-Al

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    my flightcase weigh around 30kg when full..so around 80 records. minus the actual weight of the flightcase i'd say around 25kg for 80 records ?

i dunno..

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Thanks but I need just the weight of records to accurately figure. I was just looking for a scale we used to have but I can't find it.

I remember once at the SD record show a table collapsed when a vendor was setting up. It just split right in half and all his boxes were still sitting on the floor in tact. Lots of weight.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I went to the post office yesterday and weighed 20 records without packaging: exactly 5 kg which are 11 pounds. So 100 records should weight about 55 - 60 pounds max. Make sure to count 2LPs twice though.

Each record should wight about 0.25 Kilogramms which are about 0,55 pounds.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    2 lps = 1 pound
    give or take for disco sleeves vs gatefolds

OK so based on the input given I would say that just one of my shelves comes in close to 700lbs. Not to mention I have more than one of those shelves. So I wonder how much weight can the avrage hardwood floor take? How much does the heaviest refrigerator weigh? How much does a Honda Civic weigh?

-Al

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    So I just got off the phone with a friend who accidentally let his landlord and property owner in his apt. and now they are telling him he cant have 2 full Xpedits on the floor because the house is just beams underneath and it could crash through etc.. They are asking him to disperse the weight to the outer corners (or some shit) or else move out.

I worked for the Housing and Preservation Department in NY and I've never heard anything like this, and I've seen some seriously decrepit buildings. Its also illegal for them to demand him to move if he pays his rent on time. Last, a refirgerator weighs about 150-200 pounds.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    100 records should weigh around 50 lbs.

Hmmmm....
    Okay so how much does the heavies home safe weigh?
    He needs ammunition to fight this crap and so I'm looking for likely comparisons etc...

Hmmmm..

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i don't think you should worry too much... think back to old apartments that still had cast iron bathtubs... one of those filled with water plus a 200ld dude in there and the floor still aint gonna drop.

typically you have the kitchen / bathroom butting againt each other too.. so if you have the stove / fridge on one side of the wall and then a bathtub on the other im sure that can't weigh more than an expedit or two.

but for real i would put them against a wall cause theoretically he could cause the floor to dip i nthe middle from the wieght.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    So I just got off the phone with a friend who accidentally let his landlord and property owner in his apt. and now they are telling him he cant have 2 full Xpedits on the floor because the house is just beams underneath and it could crash through etc.. They are asking him to disperse the weight to the outer corners (or some shit) or else move out.

I worked for the Housing and Preservation Department in NY and I've never heard anything like this, and I've seen some seriously decrepit buildings. Its also illegal for them to demand him to move if he pays his rent on time. Last, a refirgerator weighs about 150-200 pounds.

It varies from state to state and city to city but in general a landlord can not evict a tenant who pays his rent on time. That's assuming he has a lease. If he's month to month the landlord need only give him a 30 day notice. I think the landlord is being a little out-of-line but he should just put the Xpedits in the corners of the room. If the landlord gets fussy about that your friend should stand his ground.

Is your friend on the ground floor? You can get special jacks that are designed to add support underneath the house.

• So I just got off the phone with a friend who accidentally let his landlord and property owner in his apt. and now they are telling him he cant have 2 full Xpedits on the floor because the house is just beams underneath and it could crash through etc.. They are asking him to disperse the weight to the outer corners (or some shit) or else move out.

Damn!

So I got to thinking... what does 100 records weigh on average? How much weight can a normal floor take? How much does a full Xpedit weigh? I know it sounds lame what they are saying but I used to crawl under houses daily in my job and I know that many older houses are only supported by cement pylons placed in various spots etc.. So in an earthquake or shifting I suppose it could be possible that the floor would just cave in under the immense weight of a large collection.

But on the other hand.....in the 60's and 70's everyone had mad books and records in their homes and was it ever a concern then? Who knows?

Well I'm just hoping there is no earthquake anytime soon.
    Does anyone have a good scale handy and the time to count out 100 records (or even 50)?

Just curious.

-Al

I have a 5x5 expedit that is usually packed real tight and believe me i have worried about it falling through. there is actually a crack down the corner near the expedit. and i have screwed in both expedit's i have multiple times in case of an earthquake. i can just picture the case just falling right over and going though the floor. paranoid? maybe?

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    i have screwed in both expedit's

damn

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

a floor is designed to carry two types of loads. dead loads and live loads. dead loads are the materials of the house itself + built in furniture. live loads are the weights imposed by use and occupancy. loads are determined in psf (pounds per square foot). a typical living room floor is designed for 40 psf. bedrooms are usually designed at 30 psf.

another important factor especially if your friend is on the second floor is stiffness (no ayo). stiffness is expressed as a fraction. clear span (the distance from face to face of the supports) in inches (L) over a given number. most times structure for habitable spaces is designed at L/360. So as an example: a floor joist appropriately selected to span 10 feet will deflect no more than 120"/360=1/3" under maximum design loads. drywall attached to the underside of this system is not expected to crack when the floor joist deflects 1/3" if your friend adds weight passed the maximum design load the floors will deflect more.

i would move the records as close as possible to bearing walls in the house. the house is designed to carry its forces directly to the bearing walls and down to the ground. by moving loads farther away from the bearing walls, you are forcing the house to move the loads further through the house.

hope this helps.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Cool thread, Al

What has troubled me more is when I'm moving thousands of LPs at a time, and the effects on the vehicle I'm transporting them in. Whether from a buy or down to the record show, the tires start bouncing and I'm scared the undercarriage is getting scraped up. Luckily I'm using an old car (Norm, the digmo is being picked up tonite), so it's all good. Then again, I think it had to go in for major repairs after my last huge haul.

• Cool thread, Al

What has troubled me more is when I'm moving thousands of LPs at a time, and the effects on the vehicle I'm transporting them in. Whether from a buy or down to the record show, the tires start bouncing and I'm scared the undercarriage is getting scraped up. Luckily I'm using an old car (Norm, the digmo is being picked up tonite), so it's all good. Then again, I think it had to go in for major repairs after my last huge haul.

thats your shocks/struts overloaded. big hauls are best done on a truck or other vehicle designed for it, but if not an option, make sure your shocks/struts are in order. bouncing around with that much weight is hard on the shocks and struts so roll slow (besides you'll brake slower so slow is the move).

another important factor especially if your friend is on the second floor is stiffness (no ayo). stiffness is expressed as a fraction. clear span (the distance from face to face of the supports) in inches (L) over a given number. most times structure for habitable spaces is designed at L/360. So as an example: a floor joist appropriately selected to span 10 feet will deflect no more than 120"/360=1/3" under maximum design loads. drywall attached to the underside of this system is not expected to crack when the floor joist deflects 1/3" if your friend adds weight passed the maximum design load the floors will deflect more.

Dude. You lost me with the equations.