Modern Jazz

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Jazz, whether bop, hard bop, modal, spiritual, free, etc is maybe my favourite type of music, but I listen to hardly any modern jazz at all. I find quite a lot of it too be too fusion for my taste.The only modern jazz album I have is "Penumbra" by Bennie Maupin, which I really like, but then again Bennie Maupin was an artist I really liked for his 70's recordings.So has anyone got any post nineties or so recommendations for good jazz (that isn't fusion)?

Comments

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    soil and pimp sessions

does cinematic orchestra count?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    too fusion for my taste...Bennie Maupin was an artist I really liked for his 70's recordings.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The seventies Bennie Maupin work I liked in particular was Jewel In The White Lotus and as a sideman for Lee Morgan on Live At The Lighthouse, obviously he did some fusion too on Bitches Brew and with the Headhunters... but this isn't really the kind of fusion I dislike, I'm sure you know the type of modern fusion I mean?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

NO

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

NO

cinematic orchestra? jazz? what was i thinking?

NO

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've always thought of Cinematic Orchestra as more kind of trip hop or sumthin like that than jazz, but obviously they have a big jazz influence. And to be honest I don't have much of their stuff, I should probably look into em a bit more.

As for Soil and Pimp I like what I've heard of them yeah but have never got round to picking anything up by them. Anything you recommend?

I've always thought of Cinematic Orchestra as more kind of trip hop or sumthin like that than jazz, but obviously they have a big jazz influence. And to be honest I don't have much of their stuff, I should probably look into em a bit more.

As for Soil and Pimp I like what I've heard of them yeah but have never got round to picking anything up by them. Anything you recommend?

Jazzy not Jazz

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I dont like any of that contemporary modern jazz muzak bullshit. All those cheesy general midi sounds make me sick.

I did a recording today of some seminar and in between every session the sound guy would bump this horrible modern jazz through the pa. my eyes almost rolled out of my head when I heard..

Soil and Pimp are cool though. That shit sounds like jazz. Not the elevator at the marriot.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    soil and pimp sessions

I can't imagine listening to anything with this corny of a name.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    soil and pimp sessions

soil and pimp sessions

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    soil and pimp sessions

These guys just happen to be very good on their instruments which allows them to play some sort of jazz influenced punk type of thing.

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    soil and pimp sessions

Soil and Pimp is that

their song 'Scoop Out' off the really dope Black Finger Soundtrack

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Off the top, I'd recommend work done in the 90s'/00's by the following:

Joey Calderazzo (esp. The Traveler)
    Cornelius Claudio Kreusch
    Kenny Werner
    Robert Glasper
    Chick Corea Akoustic Band (not as fusion as you'd think)
    Gonzalo Rubalcaba
    Courtney Pine's stuff with Jeff Watts (The Vision's Tale, Within The Realms of Our Dreams)
    Indigo Jam Unit
    Sleepwalker with Pharoah Sanders

The Soilies are just too f*cking noisy to take for more than a few tracks on the spin but they must be great live. I would still recommend you check them.

Jazzy not Jazz

I think John Ellis does the keys on these Cinematic Orchestra projects. I used to gig with the dude back in the day when he had an orange Austin Maxi. Fantastic pianist, great writer too. He's definitely deep into his jazz, but yeah, this has that ambient, waves against the shore kinda vibe IIRC.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Quite good, isn't it?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Plumstead Radical Club
    Fly
    Colman Brothers
    Jose James
    Greg Foat
    Kamasi Washington

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    build an ark for daze. one of the best things about living in LA in the 2000s was having the whole ark around town playing together or separately from time to time.

some of kahil el-zabar's stuff is great, as well. i love the stuff with billy bang.

both of them are making spiritual jazz tho - not always modern sounding.

andy bey is a living legend and keeps putting music out. i'm so bummed that i missed his tour last year - he hasn't been around much lately.

joshua abrams - natural info
    http://eremite.com/album/mte-53

it sounds corny, but i think a lot of early idm/edm was basically modern jazz... or at least avant garde. (but not exactly cinematic.)

• Gondwana Records put out some good jazz records from the likes of Nat Birchall and Matthew Halsall.

In a similar vein there is also Finn Peters.

I've also got a lot of time for this Max Grunhard Quintet tune:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I ride for Vijay Iyer and Rudresh Mahanthappa

neil_something said:
    Nat Birchall

YES. One of Manchester's finest. Good to see he is getting some props.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    After binging on "classic" modal & progressive jazz from the '60s - '70s I thought I should give modern jazz a crack too.

Christian Scott - Who They Wish I Was

Badbadnotgood - Differently Still

Kamaal Williams - Early Prayer

Jimster

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Brandee Younger. I'm going to see her in September.

Duderonomy

DuderonomyJimsterElectrode

That DOMi & Beck vid is really quite amusing old chap.
    Music is a bit noodly though. They’re very talented but I’d still rate them if they just sat in the pocket of a nice simple groove.

• Yeah JD is a bit... well, he shows restraint in the size of his kit, which is a good start - nothing guarantees overplaying like a huge kit - but he still sort of overplays for my tastes. But then, that's jazz. A huge chunk of the genre flosses too hard for my ears. He's clearly very strong at it and they are clearly made for each other's playing, and I enjoy the occasional vid from them, but yeah. I'm not racing to download and 1x repeat.

you guys sound like you don't like jazz fusion