Bay Area strutters stand up!!!

124»

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

J*el,

If you ever make it to Austin, go to Artz Rib House, Sam's BBQ, Salt Lick, Green Mesquite--hell, go damn near anywhere--and tell me that they don't put E&J to shame.
    sam's is all you need, and puts all sf bbq to shame. it really doesn't get much better.

Are they still open 'til 3 or 4 on weekends? First time I ever went there was '90 or '91 at a quarter to three in the morning. I think I saw God that night.

• HEY.

The guy who rides his dog on his Harley Davidson,
    the dog barks the whole time.

who seen it?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If we're talking bbq, soul food, etc, you can't forget about The House of Chicken and Waffles[/b] down the street from Everett and Jones at Jack London Square in the great city of Oakland. Meeting some friends there for lunch next week in fact.

That is officially the move. Late night nothing soaks up the excess alcohol in my system better.

Love how they took the "Roscoe's" name off the place but everything's still exactly the same down to the stupid names for all the specials ("Chantel's Creation," etc.).

2 reasons why Roscoe's didn't make it when they tried to move up to Oakland (OG is in L.A.)

1) When they first opened they made everything to order. This usually meant you could wait up to an hour before they'd get you a piece of chicken! So did made to order mean they were actually killing and gutting the chickens in the back for each individual order or what? Did they start a fresh vat of oil for each order and wait for it to boil or something???

2) They closed shop in Jack London and moved over to the Lake Merritt area for a while. The place took a BIG step down because they moved in the opposite direciton with their food prep. This time they pre-made all their chicken. The result was that it was usually cold when it got served to you. And, their service was still sloooowww. Not as slow as the Jack London experience, but still damn slow to get your food to you after you ordered.

Haven't gone to this latest manfiestation.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

HEY.

who seen it?

who wants to? thats just disgusting dude... (nobeastiality)

• 2 reasons why Roscoe's didn't make it when they tried to move up to Oakland (OG is in L.A.)

1) When they first opened they made everything to order. This usually meant you could wait up to an hour before they'd get you a piece of chicken! So did made to order mean they were actually killing and gutting the chickens in the back for each individual order or what? Did they start a fresh vat of oil for each order and wait for it to boil or something???

2) They closed shop in Jack London and moved over to the Lake Merritt area for a while. The place took a BIG step down because they moved in the opposite direciton with their food prep. This time they pre-made all their chicken. The result was that it was usually cold when it got served to you. And, their service was still sloooowww. Not as slow as the Jack London experience, but still damn slow to get your food to you after you ordered.

Haven't gone to this latest manfiestation.

That restaurant is so mysterious to me. They keep shit moving like a stash house-- it seems like they've had a good half dozen locations in Oakland, but seldom for more than 6 months to a year. Before the ones on Broadway and Grand they had one on MacArthur out by Fruitvale and another one that's escaping me.

Service at the new one is pretty good-- very friendly and quick, too.

Oh, by the way, I'm talking about chicken and gravy, mang.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

HEY.

who seen it?

I just saw that guy last weekend! Is he "famous" or something? I thought that shit was mad "striking".

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I live near where this used to be.

And I work near where this used to be (where you'd find me a lot in the early 90s).

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    on the down low and definitely "off menu" - Memphis Minnies will serve up Catfish Sandwiches!That shit is Spac-fuckin-tacular.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    ahhhhh... now ya'll got me missing the sucka free... i'm about to get me a plane ticket and head out there with a box of japanese lps for cool chris... any good fairs or anything happening soon?

peace.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    any good fairs or anything happening soon?

Yeah, Dog--Folsom Street Fair!

• any good fairs or anything happening soon?

Yeah, Dog--Folsom Street Fair!

I'd go, just to see that!!! (no hummus)