Who on here has a mother that rides for RAP MUSIC?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
It's not like my mother rides around in a donk with two 15" subs bumpin' Gucci Mane at full blast, but she does like her share of rap music(she is 52 and white, by the way). I was in her car yesterday flippin' through her cd book and besides Mary J, Alicia, Jill, Lauryn, Babyface, etc..I thought it was funny how much rap she owns.Some of the hip hop cds I noticed in there were:a few Jay-z cdsSnoop (who she refers to as "her man")two Kanye cds (who I think she might be in love with)Outkast (again, she has a thing for Andre)So-So Def Bass All Stars (ha)and a few others that I can't remember nowBut without a doubt, her all-time favorite has to be the Ghostface Ironman album..mainly because "All That I Got Is You" is on it. She cried the first time she ever heard it(when it first came out) and still to this day will shed tears when she plays it. I've probably bought/copied that cd for her at least 5 times now.So..who else has a mother that rides for hip hop?

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

My mom likes the rap. Her absolute favorite is Ice-T "I'm your pusher", and tends to like the late 80s/early 90s stuff best. She is 64 and white, just to keep the demographics tab going. I remember this one time I was at home, and was listening to Method Man Tical in the den (this was awhile ago), and I was about to take off. I asked her if she wanted me to turn off the music and she was like "No, you can leave it on, I like this." But my Dad can't stand hip hop. But he likes jazz, which my mom can't stand.

• cool..and that reminds me..my mom digs Method, too. Especially when the Mary J collab came out.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Because growing up I pretty much forced my mom to listen to my stuff, so she digs a bunch of my favorites too. Since she only speaks Spanish, she mostly likes the stuff that samples Latin records or has a similar sound. I'm always surprised when she's playing some hip hop when I come by, notably:

Any Tribe
    The Beatnuts - Let Off A Couple (Pretty obvious for the catchy loop)
    Outkast - Spottie Ottie Dopalicious (She really likes songs with horns)
    Big Daddy Kane - Set It Off (I'm guessing like most of us, the sample gets her)
    Public Enemy - Shut Em Down Remix (Or as she calls it, the "Da da da da dum" song in reference to the horns)
    The Alkaholics - Make Room (I love this song, I'm surprised she loves it too)

I'm gladly .

• Memo to Ego Trip: "The Middle-Aged Mother Rapper Show"

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    while i would hardly call my mom a fan of rap, she definitely had a helping hand in contributing to my early hip-hop addiction.

i can recall multiple albums she purchased for me back when the Parental Advisory sticker would prevent me from picking them up on my own (Her purchasing the K-Solo album for me when i was in 6th grade is a fond memory i have).

she would pick up rap posters for me at the local university (her bringing home an Ice Cube kill at will poster is another fond memory i have).

and it even trickled up with my family, as my grandma was the one to purchase Ice Cube's Death Certificate for me in the 7th grade.

later in life she did claim to think that Shadow's Entroducing was "pretty"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My mom put a Slum Village sticker on her old car.

She listens to a lot of rap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think the most ringing endorsement my mom ever gave hip-hop was her somewhat grim-faced tolerance of Run-DMC when I would play it in the car.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    My mom liked rnb more but she would work out to some hip-hop. She always supported my hip-hop and punk rock habits. She died in 2000 at age 47, God rest her soul.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    All my mom can really get with is the Roots earlier shit. She doesn't really like jazz but I thinks it's that mellow influence that she liked. I can't complain considering she's classically trained in piano, voice and flute.

• I remember my godmother picking me up from the airport in her Lexus 330 bumping my copy of Hell Hath No Fury. 54 year old Filipina by the way.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    A few times a year my mom mails me clippings of newspaper articles about hip hop. That's about the extent of it.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    My mom rides hard for Funky Cold Medina and Me So Horny

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    My parents ride hard for...

Dr.Dre
    Snoop (they actually went to a Ice Cube/Snoop concert last year! Shit yeah)
    Outkast
    Angie Stone

On the soul tip my moms is feelin' Alice Russell right now.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    thank god, my mom doesn't like rap!

• Thread of the day?