Ray Barretto: Acid (Gold) Matrix Q

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I got this gold label LP from a friend and it should be legit but the label fonts don't match the other scans I've seen.I showed it to Reynaldo and stumped him and am wondering if anyone else has seen a Fania release with this typeface?The matrix info is: "LP-346-A" in straight, sans-serif letters. In contrast, the 2nd issue, cloud label ACID I have has the same number but inscribed in a machine-stamped typeface. (On my "Gypsy Woman" gold label, it's also that first typeface, not the machine-stamped one). There's also another matrix inscription "LW" followed by what looks like a signature of some sort (Bill ____) but I can't quite make it out the second word, then "sf" but the f looks more like a mathematical symbol.Can anyone else check their matrix? Thanks.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I showed it to Reynaldo and stumped him

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Can't offer any specific help on this, but I have seen pressing plant differences between definite OGs that include (slightly/completely) different typefaces and styles of matrix printing...

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    my copy has the other typo but the same matrix (LP-346-A), the "lw" and what looks like "bell sound" to me, followed by "sf" ...
    hope it helps ...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Am I off in thinking that Fania was pressing up records both in Puerto Rico and in NYC? I don't know if that's related but I remember hearing that before.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I showed it to Reynaldo and stumped him

commendable graemlin usage

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Stereo copy:

SLP 346A "bell sound" LW
    SLP 346B "bell sound" LW

Machine stamped except for the LW.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Weird.

I guess this must be some other gold label pressing with slightly different marks. No "S" but mine is a mono so that's not surprising. But yeah, not machine stamped - looks more like hand-etched. But the "bell sound" is there.

I did notice that at last some of Bataan's "Riot!" gold labels had the same typeface.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    Gold label mono w/ the other font:

"LP 346 A" followed by a "1" and three dots underneath it; "LW", "Bell Sound" stamp & "sf" as previously described
    "LP 346 B" followed by a "1" and three dots underneath it; "LW", "Bell Sound" stamp & "sf" as previously described

"LP 346 A" followed by a "1" and three dots underneath it; "LW", "Bell Sound" stamp & "sf" as previously described
    "LP 346 B" followed by a "1" and three dots underneath it; "LW", "Bell Sound" stamp & "sf" as previously described

Mao,

Yeah - my matrix is identical to what you just described. Including the 1 and three dots.

Here's a What Would Rey Do q:

You have a mono gold label, plus a stereo cloud label. Both minty.

Do you:

1) Flip the stereo cloud, keep the mono gold.
    2) Keep both until a stereo gold turns up, then flip both.
    3) Keep both.

???

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Mao,

Yeah - my matrix is identical to what you just described. Including the 1 and three dots.

Here's a What Would Rey Do q:

You have a mono gold label, plus a stereo cloud label. Both minty.

Do you:

3) Keep both.

???

Do you:

3) Keep both.

???

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    anyone else has seen a Fania release with this typeface?

I've seen it a lot, on El Exigente, Introducing George Guzman, The Latinaires, Riot, Hard Hands, Lets Turn On, etc. I'm not exactly sure at what time they changed the font but it seems to be around the Introducing George Guzman era (because you don't really see those gold labels with the other font), then they reprinted some of the more popular titles on gold labels with the new fonts.

anyone else has seen a Fania release with this typeface?

I've seen it a lot, on El Exigente, Introducing George Guzman, The Latinaires, Riot, Hard Hands, Lets Turn On, etc. I'm not exactly sure at what time they changed the font but it seems to be around the Introducing George Guzman era (because you don't really see those gold labels with the other font), then they reprinted some of the more popular titles on gold labels with the new fonts.

So, in other words, it was used for "late gold label" titles. [Collectro anal retentive]Would it still be considered a first pressing? [/collectro]

Yeah, I guess gold labels in general are considered to be the first pressings, regardless of font.

Am I off in thinking that Fania was pressing up records both in Puerto Rico and in NYC?

They did but not until the 70s and they look just like the US issues. No black labels like in the rest of Latin America, although they all shared the palm label in the late 70s.