Brazilian eBay Sellers

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I have a feeling this has come up before, but can anybody steer me to any Brazilian eBay sellers that they'd give consistently high marks to in terms of grading?I've had consistently bad experiences.

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    sadly, I've gotten to the point where I just look for Brazilian records being sold in the states. $$$ shipping X bad grading = NAGL

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    sadly, I've gotten to the point where I just look for Brazilian records being sold in the states. $$$ shipping X bad grading = NAGL

Yeah, me too--there's got to be somebody in a country of that size who knows how to grade records, though.

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    happened to me aswell. same goes for india too.

i dont have any illushions and already expect busted covers when i buy 20-40 year old records from a country with monsoons, hot and humid climate etc... but the vinyl itself is in even badder shape half of the time

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    You probably already have, but seriously, check out superflyrecords.com. I have been really impressed with the grading/selection for years. I think he's from argentina?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I have a feeling this has come up before, but can anybody steer me to any Brazilian eBay sellers that they'd give consistently high marks to in terms of grading?

I've had consistently bad experiences.

Got burned on some Sergio Mendes piff eh?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    dunno about online dealers, but I went to about 20 record shops when I was down in Brasil 2 weeks ago & the whole 'take the condition of the record into account when pricing' thing didn't seem real big down there, I saw some shit that was straight up annihilated priced at mint popsike plus

You probably already have, but seriously, check out superflyrecords.com. I have been really impressed with the grading/selection for years. I think he's from argentina?

Yeah, I know him and have bought from him in the past--although I seem to recall him being in Europe.

dunno about online dealers, but I went to about 20 record shops when I was down in Brasil 2 weeks ago & the whole 'take the condition of the record into account when pricing' thing didn't seem real big down there, I saw some shit that was straight up annihilated priced at mint popsike plus

Yes, I'm familiar with this.

And then dudes act affronted--like you're commenting on the music--when you point out that the record is trashed.

"B-b-b-b-b-ut it's Caetano!"

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Yeah, I know him and have bought from him in the past--although I seem to recall him being in Europe.

He's in Portugal, I believe, and is where I get all my Brazilian records at this point.

b/w

Cosine.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    On eBay I've had good luck with plainmusic in the past.

Thanks, dudes.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Paulo is back and forth between Paris and Portugal. Always a top notch business transaction.

• Co-sign on Plainmusic. Jlandid is another seller I've dealt with here and there, but his grading is a bit inconsistent.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Superfly is generally on point but I have bought an Ed Lincoln graded as perfect in the past and it turned out to be a pretty beaten copy. For the rest I have been nothing but satisfied.
    Plainmusic is good. jlandid is fine too....good thing is he speaks english which makes it a lot easier.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was really disappointed with jlandid. Apologies but I cannot cosign.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    pretovelho knows how to grade. but he doesnt count really as he is US based and sells infrequently

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpretovelho

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

this guy told me the name of the girl down the road

authorized funk provider tm

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    I've had nothing but good experiences with plainmusic on ebay.

I was really disappointed with jlandid. Apologies but I cannot cosign.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn Soulhawk, I want to see what you found down there.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    also brazilianmusic (everything from brazil) is solid i.m.h.o.

peace, stein. . .

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Allan Bastos as brazilianmusic used to be the best. But in the last few years his prices have gone up a lot and he seems not to care anything about customer service.

The best now, is plainmusic. Excellent, friendly, great shit, reasonable prices. But recently not much new stuff.

Jlandid is good but prices are too high. Never had a problem with quality from him though, so i dont know what Johnny's complaint is actually about.

Another one is Brazilian Culture (brazilcult). Pricey but great quality and rare psych and folk stuff that I dont see we others.

Also, hunter_rarities, joiarardisco and nostalgiatwist
    can all be trusted.

Warning though. I am the type who is liable to snipe you With two seconds left to go, whoa Got Paypal or Visa, what ever'll please As long as I've got the dough .

Jlandid is good but prices are too high. Never had a problem with quality from him though, so i dont know what Johnny's complaint is actually about.

quality.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Once you have this list of reputable dealers sorted... Have fun bidding against each other.

Once you have this list of reputable dealers sorted... Have fun bidding against each other.

actualy i rarely bid anymore, i just buy.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

plainmusic has most of his stuff on BIN

Anyone got spare cash right now could do worse than buy his og Quarteto Nova (s/t) from 67
    and especially the Ana Mazzotti og he has, both pretty pricey (close to $200 a pop) but damned tough albums

quality.

Johnny do you buy for resale at the store, the prices from those guys are already priced to the limit, so I cant imagine being able to factor in much of a mark-up on your end. Or are there people in NY who pay that much money for Brazilian records that arent already just buying them from these guys?

inquiring collectrons want to know?

I don't buy much from Brazil for my shop but I did a few bulk deals with different guys early on. The quality was just too inconsistent for me.

People definitely pay a bit extra with Brazilian records for the luxury of not having to get them mail order (and being able to inspect the goods before purchasing).

I don't buy much from Brazil for my shop but I did a few bulk deals with different guys early on. The quality was just too inconsistent for me.

i remember early on in ebay like like in 1998 or 1999, buying lot auctions of records from some people that werre amazing, like 50 - 100 records, all kinds of great shit.

So you are buying for your personal collection?

occasionally.

sweet - im mike henderson's thong now.