Hard Drive Issue

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
All of a sudden my external is nowhere to be found on my desktop. I didn't change a thing between last night and now... anyone have any tips? This is a new HD I only started using maybe a month or two ago. I've tried rebooting, no luck.WTF?

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Sometimes happens with my Lacie external, usually unplugging it and the switching it off and on helps ???

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    try using a different usb hub on your computer. if that doesnt work, try a diff usb cable.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's a firewire unit, I switched it to the other jack on the unit, unplugged it, rebooted and it's back now.

Thanks for your help guys.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    This happened to me with my firewire drive last night. For a moment I thought I was in deep trouble... time to buy a RAID array!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This happened to me with my firewire drive last night. For a moment I thought I was in deep trouble... time to buy a RAID array!

Portable raid? say what?

http://www.acard.com/english/fb01-produc...ini&idno_no=230

• when your hard drive icon disappears (on a mac) before you start yanking cables and switching off the power all willy nilly...
    go to applications > utilities > disk utility
    and you can mount/unmount/eject your external drives.

I only say this because I've had drives wipe out before when being disconnected "un-properly" luckily they were just flash drives but still.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ah - good call homie.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Oh that's kinda cool! It seems like an odd product though - in my mind you want a RAID-1 array for heavy long-term data storage. And I can't see that I would want to be carrying my main archive around in a backpack.

I think I'm getting one of the Guardian Maximus 1.0TBs... I need the FW800, no way I'm moving 750gb of stuff over USB2.0.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have a Western Digital 1 TB external always connected to my iMac at home. Shit is a month old and it was in a coma. would not power on... unplug ... plug it back in. I tried it on another outlet and oddly enough it powered up. Plugged it back into the computer and walla it's back. Weird stuff.