2 AM LOCKOUTS - The death of your city?

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    anyone from Atlanta on here???

what's the deal with me getting denied trying to buy beer on a sunday? they had all 3 crazy horses at this texaco and i was headin to the airport and need those in my backpack. but y'all don't sell EVEN BEER on sundays??? homosex.

but yet, the friday night before hand we could buy beer all night at the grocery store.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    A lot of states have blue laws making it illegal to purchase alcohol on Sundays (Indiana stand up). Here in NY, you're not suppossed to sell alcohol between the hours of 1am and 8am Sunday, but no bodegas/delis and few supermarkets follow those rules.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah but that's usually with hard liquor. but beer?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    homosex.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    A lot of states have blue laws making it illegal to purchase alcohol on Sundays (Indiana stand up). Here in NY, you're not suppossed to sell alcohol between the hours of 1am and 8am Sunday, but no bodegas/delis and few supermarkets follow those rules.

RI and NM also had Sunday blue laws in effect when I lived there (in RI liquor stores closed at 9PM, which was a royal pain in the ass), and in NY you weren't able to buy wine or liquor on Sundays until very recently. And bodegas have refused to sell me beer on a number of occasions after 1am on Saturday night. A true drunk learns to cope with it and plan accordingly.

RI and NM also had Sunday blue laws in effect when I lived there (in RI liquor stores closed at 9PM, which was a royal pain in the ass), and in NY you weren't able to buy wine or liquor on Sundays until very recently. And bodegas have refused to sell me beer on a number of occasions after 1am on Saturday night. A true drunk learns to cope with it and plan accordingly.

The one time a bodega refused to sell me beer I told them I was going to go down the block and buy it from the other store, the guy said ok and sold me the beer.

And in regards to not selling liquor on Sundays, the law was that liquor stores had to be closed one day out of the week, and most stores closed Sundays. There was one place in my neighborhood (mid town east) that closed Tuesdays and opened Sundays, and they raked in the loot. Now liquor stores are open 7 days a week with limited hours.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Now liquor stores are open 7 days a week with limited hours.

Yeah, it was no alcohol at all on Sundays in Massachusetts for most of my life. Now most stores are open until 6pm, with a few until 7 or 8. I don't really see the point of picking a day and saying "no booze". Separation of church and state, muhfuggas!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I like the 2AM closing... it's my saving grace sometimes. It's also good for sealing the deal... "hey why not come back to my place... I've got a hot tub"

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I think people complaining that they can't drink past 2am is a seriously bad look. Alcoholics need to fall back.

I like the 2AM closing... it's my saving grace sometimes. It's also good for sealing the deal... "hey why not come back to my place... I've got a hot tub"

This is true, early closing times area great excuse to get ms-right-now back to your crib, especially if you are in walking distance.

I think people complaining that they can't drink past 2am is a seriously bad look. Alcoholics need to fall back. stock their liquor cabinets.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Yea Colorado has a 3/2 beer law. So on sundays and I think anytime at the grocery or gas station you cant buy full strength beer. Definitely no liquer on sundays. I think thats how it goes.

Maryland is no liquer or beer on sundays.

I am not sure about cali laws. Sunday is usually my day of hung over rest.

Its all from a big pre civil war christian revivalism that started in the north east. Shit has stuck this long. Keep your rosaries off my 40s!

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    2am is what it is in AZ. At least we can buy on Sunday and don't have to go to a state store.

2am is what it is in AZ. At least we can buy on Sunday and don't have to go to a state store.

We don't have state liquor stores in Mass. They do in New Hampshire, though. I don't understand what the function of a state liquor store is.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

We don't have state liquor stores in Mass. They do in New Hampshire, though. I don't understand what the function of a state liquor store is.

I love how that NH State Liquor Store is right there when you cross the border on 95... "Welcome to New Hampshire... now stock up!"

I love how that NH State Liquor Store is right there when you cross the border on 95... "Welcome to New Hampshire... now stock up!"

HAHA! Right? Not that we're taking advantage of our tax-free status or anything...

All liquor stores in NY are state controlled, and you can pretty much only sell liquor or wine, no beer, juice, soda, chips, cigarettes, etc. I never understood that part at all

All liquor stores in NY are state controlled, and you can pretty much only sell liquor or wine, no beer, juice, soda, chips, cigarettes, etc. I never understood that part at all

I quit smoking, but the idea of not being able to buy your cigarettes where you buy your whiskey is mind-boggling.

I think people complaining that they can't drink past 2am is a seriously bad look. Alcoholics need to fall back.

Whatever, there is so much going on in this city that parties don't get poppin until 1 or 2 anyways. Its not just about drinking.

Afterparties in LA are still servin booze til 6am. So just wait til everybody leaves at two and is standing outside and politely ask someone who looks hip where the after party is. I think every city has afterhours almost every night.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Utah yet. Some of the lamest laws ever, but I think the Oregon OLCC is almost as bad by comparison.

Utah has No Liquor on Sundays. 2% beer always. You have to go to state stores to by good beer i.e. Anything over 3% My dad use to drive to Wyoming to buy cases of Coors and Fireworks.

In Utah, you also can't buy or order a Keg for a house party. I think you can buy beer and wine in a supermarket on sunday buy only till 7pm-8pom?? Im not sure if that has changed, when I was a kid it may have been not at all.

Only "private clubs" that require membership sell hard liquor drinks. You can go to a really fancy restaurant and order a Manhattan but they will only serve you 2. The benefit of being an out of town visitor is that most of the private clubs let you in for free with an out of state I.D. Other than that its all Pubs and Taverns.

I went to a brewery there last winter and was not happy to find that even at a micro brew spot did not have any beer over 3% What a waste. I pounded my beer and ordered another when they food came but she said she couldn't bring another until I finished the first...there was like a half inch still in the glass. WTF?

Anyways, Oregon has the OLCC. We have state liquor stores that buy all the booze from distributors and then sell it to bars and clubs. So they control the price on everything and make for a semi-limited selection.

The one thing I really hate about the OLCC is third party liability. We have to be licensed to serve. We also face monsterious fines and legal issues if someone gets hurt or killed and says they were at our bar. Its not only the drunk driver that can sue us, but the person who they injured, hence the third party liability.

I don't think it is right that we are held responsible for other peoples decisions and bad choices. We do our best to not serve people when they have had too much. But that doesn't stop them from going to the next place and getting a drink and maybe our place is the last place they can remember being at. it isn't right.

And calling the cops on drunk drivers doesn't do any good either. I've heard from inside sources that they don't like giving DUI's because they take too long to process.....waiting for the tow truck, taking the person to jail, all the paper work. Its takes them 4-5 hours per DUI.

Now that is some bull shit.

On the flip though I've heard that if you insist on a blood test vs. the breathizlizer and they have to take you to the hospital, by the time they get to you, your BAL will go down significantly and you may avoid the DUI. Good info if your sober enough to know your not DRUNK. But Oregon cops have a bad rep for arresting people for DUI that haven't been drinking at all...mostly in the sticks where they haven't got much to do I guess.

Nah man... a lot of peoples blood alchohol level increases as time goes on... it all depends on how you were drinking that night and when your last drink was.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    only now do i understand why so many of u do not party

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

But it's not really about being an alcoholic - it's about the powers that be having a knee jerk reaction to a real problem. And I'm not much of a drinker but it will still impact me 'cause I won't be able to skip around and see various people/friends. I just don't like being told what to do and when to do it, especially without a good reason.

• hugh_lucerohugh_lucero 485 Posts

with the Melbourne proposals you will still be able to drink after 2, but if you leave a venue you won't be able to get in anywhere after 2

I'm not out bar-hopping at that time very often these days so it doesn't phase me too much ... I do think there are a lot of dickheads out on the streets late at night so if it discourages some of them from hittin the city then I'm not complaining, that said I think most people will be in venues already so the marginal effect could be kinda small !?! biggest pinch will be on the drunken wanderers

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    and politely ask someone who looks hip where the after party is.

Please to knowledge me some more.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Actually my friend just made a really good point. He works in hospitality, so is likely to finish a shift around that time. That means he either stays on at work or goes home. That mightn't sound like much, but plenty of people work in the hospitality industry, and plenty of them spend $$$.

Maybe something a little closer to home - if you're lucky enough to be getting dj gigs, gone are the days of multiple sets in one night. Or imagine if you're playing to a clurb of beckies and chads. If you're not out of there and ready to get in somewhere decent before 2 it's all over for you. It's not about getting trashed, it's about freedom. And to base it on a 3 month trial is utter bullshit. For starters the figures will be down thanks to the weather anyway.

The real question is - do you think the sort of people who get into fights get into them because they're able to go to multiple venues? Or because they're pissed and want to fight.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Dude around here (CA) all the bars close at 2 AM. We're used to this.

This is nothing new in Atlanta, see around 2004 or 2005 a big 2am last call was put into place. Some say it was some racial shit,others say it was some "take the streets back from the hoodlums" but more and more of the clubs just disappeared. Now what you have is a very anal crowd of people getting dressed up and nowhere to go or hoodlums looking for fun and making the speakeasy their main entertainment. The strips clubs still stay open til 4 and some operate on sunday while a few are prohibited.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Nah man... a lot of peoples blood alchohol level increases as time goes on... it all depends on how you were drinking that night and when your last drink was.

That is a good point actually. I would never drive if I questioned my ability to do so. I have pretty much never exceeded a 2 beer max when I am driving but there is a part of me that thinks I would totally freak out if I got pulled over and get all nervous and blow it. Ive never driven drunk but Ive never been pulled over for anything either. I am becoming more paranoid. But I'm saying if your positive your not over the limit, like had one or two drinks (allowable by law depending) opt for the blood test. I think breath tests have been known to be inaccurate at times as well.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    My neighborhood in Nyc has had so many clubs and bars open in the past 3 years alone that wednesday through sunday it's mobbed with every fool imaginable, roaming the streets, getting wasted as the night progresses. It has turned a lot of nice areas into little disneylands for these people- they arrive to spend money and lose their s*it. The bars benefit from it and the neighbors suffer from it. Nothing wrong with a good time but when you flood a neighborhood with liquor licenses then you have a drinking mecca, a strip mall of partying, and to me that is overkill.
    As far as the late night aspect of Nyc it's there because people seldom drive unlike LA or Philly where driving is part of the deal.