School me on DUB

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This one has vocals (soul covers) but really dubby warm production. My favorite Lee Perry prod.

George Faith - To be a Lover (there is a black ark release of this too I think with a different cover)

Title track has a dub dunno about the rest. LONG ASS TUNE. or ???

I have hung on to this record in case it finally grows on me - I find the whole thing

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts

This one has vocals (soul covers) but really dubby warm production. My favorite Lee Perry prod.
    George Faith - To be a Lover (there is a black ark release of this too I think with a different cover)

I have hung on to this record in case it finally grows on me - I find the whole thing

Really? I love it. great headphone music.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    This is the dope schitt right here.............. Scientist dubs of classics by Hugh Mundell, Wayne Jarrett and Johnny Osborne.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Here's some LPs I really like:

Gregory Isaacs "Slum In Dub"
    Augustus Pablo "Ital Dub"

"Slum in Dub" is a great record, made at that period RIGHT before dub went to the Channel One stripped down minimal thing...

Ital Dub, i think is one of Augustus Pablo's worst LP's... too clean...

• MurcMurc 15 Posts

Lee Perry - Kung Fu Meets the Dragon

Great record.

I also like this one:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Was listening to this on the weekend and can't say it enough - a MUST:

Love me some dub but am I alone in hating this album?

Currently rediscovering this one though:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

hate? really? didn't think it was possible to hate a dub record...unless it was mixed by David Duke or something!

The Jarrett record is not a strictly dub record - but neither are a bunch of records listed in this thread. It's a nice record until that disappointing Wackies thing happens: the cheez guitar.
    Jarrett is kinda like a second-rate Horace Andy to me...no one can do Every Tongue Shall Tell like he can imo.

It reminds me of Jah Shaka's Brimstone and Fire (not sound, by title), which is chest-rattling fire:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Two that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread that are top tier are Meditation Dub on Techniques (Winston Riley)

and Free For All Dub on Aires (Bullwackie)

• I haven't seen this one mentioned yet.
    I like to listen to dub when I'm driving for some reason.
    I don't get upset at stupid drivers.
    Harry Mudie meets King Tubby's In Dub Conference Volume One

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

hate? really? didn't think it was possible to hate a dub record...unless it was mixed by David Duke or something!

The Jarrett record is not a strictly dub record - but neither are a bunch of records listed in this thread. It's a nice record until that disappointing Wackies thing happens: the cheez guitar.
    Jarrett is kinda like a second-rate Horace Andy to me...no one can do Every Tongue Shall Tell like he can imo.

It reminds me of Jah Shaka's Brimstone and Fire (not sound, by title), which is chest-rattling fire:

'Magic In the Air' track is a great dub cut on Bubble Up but there's some dull music on there too, for sure. Second rate Horace Andy is a little harsh but, yeah, he's more of a footnote than a chapter.

I really do hate the River Nile record!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Two that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread that are top tier are Meditation Dub on Techniques (Winston Riley)

I will cosign for this. I bought it at Goodrecordsnyc and that album always gets people label gazing. If you have a copy of the other one mentioned....I would love it if you would when the new store opens.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    One I really like: King of Dub on clocktower

good read: http://members.shaw.ca/dublp/dubTOP150LIST.jpeg

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Peep this almost all dub mix I did, The Mix of Look Behind:

DivShare File - The Mix of Look Behind.mp3

One of the mixes I started but never really finished, but still a good listen I reckon.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you have a copy of the other one mentioned....I would love it if you would when the new store opens.

lol... it's extremely rare and the copy I had sold for almost 4 bills.

Copies with a cover (unlike mine) can fetch double that.