Motorcycle-strut

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
So, I'm back home to visit my folks for the week, which is where the family stash of bikes is. My dad & I have been messing with bikes for ages (him longer than me obviously) & they are things I really like. But I don't get much time for them other than when I come back to visit (maybe 3 times a year). It's a sweet change of pace to get one out & piss around with it for a bit to clear the head, maybe go for a ride. I like restoring them too, although that gets a bit costly. They can be pretty money hungry if you put too much interest in them. We keep adding & subtracting from the collection here & there. I happened to have my camera in the car today so this is what we have at moment (save a couple that I couldn't get the camera to properly). Anyone on the strut into old bikes??Norton Commando '54 Norton Dominator A couple of old BMWs The next restoration project, getting parts is a slooooowwwww process though. c.1965/66 Yamaha TD1B, one of the first 40 made of these. Another BMW. NSU Sportmax. Yamaha TA125 (unrestored) & TR3 Norton ES2 1947 Norton 350 Manx & 1932 Norton 500 International (ex Isle Of Man TT bike)

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Damn, that is quite a collection.

When I was about 10 years old, my uncle gave me a ~1966 Montesa 125 (Italian) dirtbike.

We were able to ride right in our neighborhood because there was a defunkt golf course that ran through it. And while all my friends had brand new Hondas and Yamahas, I had this ancient unmarked bike that was LOUD AS FUCK.

I could get it up to ~65 mph on the straight-aways though, so you know I loved those afterschool sessions on those trails.

We moved that bike from New Orleans to Huntington Beach to Houston, and I wound up selling it to the pre-teen son of the vet I worked for while I was in high school for like 25 bucks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    holy shit. a few bikes in there i would KILL to have. great collection. any of those Yamahas would be at the top of my list. i'm a sucker for japanese bikes.

ive only had two real motorcycles. a 1973 Honda CL70 and my current one, a 1982 Honda MB5. i love smaller bikes...below 150cc or so.

the CL70 was BEAUTIFUL, but on my very first ride, the bike died because the flywheel fell off inside the engine i guess. i ended up selling it to my friend, who is currently restoring it. i miss that thing.

the MB5 is great. i tend to hate the styling on bikes from the mid-70s on, but the MB5 is one that really stands out for me. 50cc 2-stroke with a 5-speed manual transmission. i've had that thing going 52mph easy. really fun, small bike.

i really wanna get something a little bigger, maybe something that would cruise easy at 70mph, but nothing too beefy.

as many people on here know, im a huge sucker for mopeds, nopeds and SOME scooters. i just got a Vespa Bravo the other day and i have my eye on a Puch Maxi that somebody is selling. mopeds are so simple to work on, and a lot of fun. missed out on a Garelli top-tank moped recently for $250. id love to have that thing.

plus...more strut-related. On Any Sunday is one of my favorite movies, and the soundtrack, as many on here know, is great! carol kaye basslines for DAYS.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    by the way, whats the bike with the blue forks in the background of this pic? looks up my alley...

IMG src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/holmes/IMG_0166.jpg>

• Norton Commando

'54 Norton Dominator

Norton ES2

1947 Norton 350 Manx & 1932 Norton 500 International (ex Isle Of Man TT bike)

The Nortons are just incredible

Me and my Dad are looking for motorcycles like these, the Norton Commando is

Nice to know that strutters are into motorcycles too. One thing i think is funny is that Americans are more into the english and japaneese stuff while a lot of Europeans prefer harley davidson and indian...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    so here's my only experience with motorcycles...

i had a friend who just bought a brand new '04 CBR 1000 RR. i was living by the beach at that time and saw how much fun he was having riding around with the nice weather and whatnot. so i saved up enough money to get this used GSX-R 600, when something told me, nah i shouldn't buy this. so i used the money to further live my suga free lifestyle. i bought some gucci flip flops with some of it from that "nice" mall on canal in NOLA. those were my only means of transport the whole summer.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The Dominator and the TD1B are beautiful. What a lovely collection.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Amazing! Is that yours?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Amazing! Is that yours?

No.

I used to have a fairly similar moped, but not with campervan sidecar. Not sure I'd really want one either.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The Norton's are great. Would love one or a Triumph. Or, one day, one of these:

or:

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Holmes, the potential of that Yamaha TD1B is unreal. My next project will most likely be a 350 Ducati Desmo. I restored this '71 R75/5 last year...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    hott damn. Nice collection. Most of my old bikes have been Hondas:

CB350F
    CB350T
    CB350T
    CL360
    *XR200R 1987 with only 400 miles on it and street reg.

Newer ones owned:

*1990 GSX-R 750 (114hp from the factory in 1990)
    *2001 VFR800 with 4k miles on it.
    1996 R1100RS with 60k miles on it. (toured all over the country on it)
    99 Husqvarna TE610 (converted to supermoto)
    *91 Honda XR600R (converted to Supermoto)

*=currently owned

Anyone else fux with supermotos? Out of all the bikes I've had they are the most fun.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Oh, and I just got off a 2000 mile 5-day trip of Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California on a rented Harley with my girl. Not something I would want to own, but a fun trip.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    This thread is making me tear up, as I recently decided to sell my bike. Life done changed up on me and I never get to ride anymore.

If anyone in the Bay is serious about a Kawi W650 with a lot of custom work, holler very soon:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    any of those Yamahas would be at the top of my list.
    Yeah, the racing Yamahas are probably my favorites to play around with, that TR3 is bloody scary, so fast off the mark.

plus...more strut-related. On Any Sunday is one of my favorite movies, and the soundtrack, as many on here know, is great! carol kaye basslines for DAYS.
    Just watched this with my partner the other night, she'd never seen it before, that bit at the end where the guy torches his bike in the desert is priceless. I used to have On Any Sunday 2 as well, don't know where that went though, I need to see that again also.

by the way, whats the bike with the blue forks in the background
    A bloody 1970s CZ someone dropped in, you don't want one of those, trust me.

Me and my Dad are looking for motorcycles like these, the Norton Commando is

Nice to know that strutters are into motorcycles too. One thing i think is funny is that Americans are more into the english and japaneese stuff while a lot of Europeans prefer harley davidson and indian...

Commando is gone as of next week, it's the 2nd one of those we've had, the first one was a red fastback, much cooler. I can't get with Harley's etc. for some reason, the Nortons, Yamahas & BMWs are pretty much where the interest is for us.

The Dominator and the TD1B are beautiful. What a lovely collection.
    Cheers man, I hope all is good with you in London.

The Norton's are great. Would love one or a Triumph. Or, one day, one of these:
    Cool, the only Triumph I have is a c.1912 Baby, minus the wheels, not quite sure what to do with that one. Vincents have got real popular, they are a tricky find these days unless you have $$$$$. Nice bikes though, a friend of ours has a Black Prince, it's pretty odd.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Holmes, the potential of that Yamaha TD1B is unreal. My next project will most likely be a 350 Ducati Desmo. I restored this '71 R75/5 last year...
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the TD1B, I'm already imagining what color combination to do it in. It's pretty complete save a couple of things, I just need to get going & sink some $$$ & time into it. The tank is a mess & is the 2nd shape for that model, but they changed after only 100 or so, so there's probably little chance of finding the original shape tank for this bike, it was tough enough to find that battered one. It will involve an addition to the frame though because with the different tank they added some extra support struts to compensate for the difference in shape. I like those little Ducatis, I almost bought a late 60s 175 a couple of years ago but changed my mind at the last minute. We restored one of those 1970s silver & blue 900SS Ducatis a few years back, what a nice bike that was, never saw it again after we sold it, same deal with the Hailwood Replica we had, probably stashed away in some private collection! I like waht you did with the R75/5, I like the seat & the bars, never thought of that but it looks sweet. I love that era of BMW.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I like what these guys are doing out of Australia. Click on the motorcycle link. Classic and clean:

http://www.deus.com.au/