LEGENDARY !!!!!

RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
i just had the pleasure of rocking with the one and only BERNARD PURDIE.we had dinner last night, which was a 3-4 hour session. what a humble down to earth man. stories for decades...from the greatful dead, to bobo marley, to the clintons and steven segal.so, this was all off the head.. no practice run...no rehearsal.i ran a bunch of edits, some from multis, of which i did passes so there were no drums. he tore shit down when i put on aretha's rock steady...and he also killlllllled fela.i got some video of him murdering the edit i did of doobie bros/ long train runnin....once its uploaded, itll be on you tube as well as my blog...which is due for a major update.his book drops in sept. which will reveal all the shit about the beatles.of all the events i have done thus far in my dj career...this was just amazing.having been a drummer myself, the man is a living legend.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    he tore shit down when i put on aretha's rock steady...and he also killlllllled fela.

You are a fortunate fortunate man.

And definitely, post up that video when it's uploaded!!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    bobo marley???

soundscoool man
    so he was providing his own version of fela rhythyms???

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn, Ch*is!

That sounds incredible.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I seen the exact oposite side of him!!! He showed up unannounced out of the blue to the "Lialeh" record release party I was playing at all pissed off because he said they were doing an unauthorized bootleg re-issue. He was wrong. Wouldn't take any pics, sign no autographs and wouldn't talk with anyone but the label reps.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I don't know....i remember in the Brazil in Time DVD there was this one part where Paul Humphrey was saying how Purdie used to show attitudes or bad mouth to Paul and whatnot, of how Paul would get the gigs or whatever...so i had an instant impression that Purdie might not be as down to earth as I thought he would be.

i could be wrong, i mean perhaps it was simply just some personal beef between the two, which isn't to justify them as a person.

either way, he's no doubt a legendary drummer and desrve respect.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I always wondered about this Beatles thing. It seems to be a good myth. Last week I was chillin with a drummer who played with the Average White Band for a longer time and knew about all the session musicians in NY and he said that the fact that Purdie played on Beatles songs is the "biggest frickin' lie in the world" (no disrespect to Purdie!) Who knows....

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    whats your video channel so we can subscribe?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I always wondered about this Beatles thing. It seems to be a good myth. Last week I was chillin with a drummer who played with the Average White Band for a longer time and knew about all the session musicians in NY and he said that the fact that Purdie played on Beatles songs is the "biggest frickin' lie in the world" (no disrespect to Purdie!) Who knows....

Carol Kaye played the drums on all the Beatles records.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Carol Kaye played the drums on all the Beatles records.

That's not funny.

"The Beatles" were not actually a real band; they were a Bernard Purdie studio project.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    since this came up i came across a cool read. super nerdery here...

http://www.jimvallance.com/03-projects-folder/purdie-project-folder/pg-purdie.html

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

http://www.jimvallance.com/03-projects-folder/purdie-project-folder/pg-purdie.html

"Purdie says he worked on finished tapes. Seeing as the early Beatle albums had already been released in England, this would mean the original English versions have Ringo doing the drumming while the American counterparts have Purdie on some tracks, Ringo on others, and, as Purdie suggests, both of them on others."

Like I say, Carol was the stick girl. She also did the brass on All You Need Is Love.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "pulled a Wellington"

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

"Purdie says he worked on finished tapes. Seeing as the early Beatle albums had already been released in England, this would mean the original English versions have Ringo doing the drumming while the American counterparts have Purdie on some tracks, Ringo on others, and, as Purdie suggests, both of them on others."

Like I say, Carol was the stick girl. She also did the brass on All You Need Is Love.

and she invented seinfeld bass

• I seen the exact oposite side of him!!! He showed up unannounced out of the blue to the "Lialeh" record release party I was playing at all pissed off because he said they were doing an unauthorized bootleg re-issue. He was wrong. Wouldn't take any pics, sign no autographs and wouldn't talk with anyone but the label reps.

he went in depth about this project...and to me it seems he had good reason to be pissed off. id be too.

aside from that he'll be the first to tell you of his big mouth and attitude, and what he has learned over the years from that.
    as far as he say she say..and drummers who tour with a.w.b ( adam d. ?) no disrespect to them but.... who the hell are they...really ?? let me know when they are called upon by just about every producer in the record biz to make some magic happen.

yall got records, look at how many sessions bernard has been credited for (thousands)...now imagine all of the sessions he got no credit. even in todays day..in rap music you have plenty of ghost writers that get no credit.

the beatles thing makes plenty of sense to me...ringo sucked.

bernard also did the drums on hang on the mcoys "hang on sloopy" and regrets it to this day. he was asked to play like a 14 year old. the steely dan stories were good.
    over all the man seems quite wise.

when we played, the vibe was crazy..dude just kept looking over at me smiling his ass off..killing shit.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

pretty purdie is pretty much my favorite drummer ever, but...

the general consensus is purdie did some overdubs to some pre-ringo Beatles hamburg recordings that were released to cash in on beatlemania...

saying ringo sucks is plain ignorant... w/ the exception of McCartney, none of the beatles were great players. none of them had CHOPS. that is not what they were about. ringo created simple drum parts that supported the songs superbly.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

pretty purdie is pretty much my favorite drummer ever, but...

the general consensus is purdie did some overdubs to some pre-ringo Beatles hamburg recordings that were released to cash in on beatlemania...

saying ringo sucks is plain ignorant... w/ the exception of McCartney, none of the beatles were great players. none of them had CHOPS. that is not what they were about. ringo created simple drum parts that supported the songs superbly.

for real

Ringo didnt suck .he did what he had to do.

maybe all of them werent "great" musicians

but they were excellent songwriters...

atleast later in their careers

i disliked Ringos songwriting though

The Purdie/Beatles and Kaye/Motown claims are truly bizarre...not the least of which is because both artists insist on the veracity of their claims despite the overwhelming mountain of credible, documented evidence that says otherwise.

For me, I don't lose respect for either Purdie or Kaye's accomplishments just because they've gone out on some crazy limb but you do have to wonder. I mean, let's be clear here: Purdie claims that Ringo did not play drums on ANY Beatles' songs. That's about as plausible as the Apollo moon landing being faked. Actually, even less plausible.

I also think it's interesting that there's a reverse race issue in these two cases - the Black drummer claiming to have played with the most successful White band EVER and the White bassist claiming to have played with the most successful Black band EVER.

Random Q: what songs have both played on?

• Oh man, can't wait to see & hear this.

I met a girl at a party over the weekend, who within 30 seconds of talking to her about music, said she got to sing with Bernard Purdie recently.. i damn near spit out my beer. Not a name i was expecting to hear ol' Becky drop. She confirmed what I suspected - he's one of the coolest and most talented cats to ever walk the earth.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    I mean, let's be clear here: Purdie claims that Ringo did not play drums on ANY Beatles' songs.

maybe you read that...but not once did he say that to me, or the crowd during his q and a. he said several songs, and went further into the fact that he has had his life threatened over this situation, as well as the fact that hes in a legal battle over it.
    regardless, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. why would a man who has done so much make up some lie ? knowing the ridicule to follow.

yall are right, ringo was an incredible drummer. he didnt suck. he was called upon time after time and always praised for just how much he didnt suck.
    zzzzzz come on...if he wasnt in the beatles he'd have no career as a drummer.

Let's say Ringo did, in fact, suck. That still doesn't make the case here.

I could be wrong but are the Beatles' credited as a band with incredible drumming?

You are correct though - Purdie's claim wasn't that Ringo didn't play on anything, it's that he didn't play on any of the Beatles' "early" material, though what "early" means isn't well-defined.

"why would a man who has done so much make up some lie ? knowing the ridicule to follow. "

I couldn't agree more with what you're asking here. That's why I'm bewildered about the Carol Kaye/Motown controversy too. In both cases, there's just a mountain of evidence that debunks the claim...yet they stick to their guns. What's up? With Purdie, he's been very clear - on multiple occasions - of saying "I played on 21 Beatles songs." Not "a few" or "some" but "21." At that point, you're just opening up a can of worms.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I mean, let's be clear here: Purdie claims that Ringo did not play drums on ANY Beatles' songs.

maybe you read that...but not once did he say that to me, or the crowd during his q and a.

doesnt he say that pretty much verbatim in that video interview with Egon, could of sworn that he said that...

regardless, cool story about a helluva drummer

I always like Purdie and Stubblefield's rivalry about who schooled who.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

yall are right, ringo was an incredible drummer. he didnt suck. he was called upon time after time and always praised for just how much he didnt suck.

what about Al Jackson Jr? Does he suck b/c he doesn't have the chops of Idris Mohammed or Jabo Starks? b/c Al Jackson basically played EXACTLY like Ringo, simple melodic parts to support the songs...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    as far as he say she say..and drummers who tour with a.w.b ( adam d. ?) no disrespect to them but.... who the hell are they...really ?? let me know when they are called upon by just about every producer in the record biz to make some magic happen.

The way he said it wasn't directed with any disrespect at all towards Purdie (sorry if it read that way). Infact, we agreed that he is one of the G.O.A.T.'s in this Biz. He just said that in his opinion the Beatles stories weren't true. Again, no disrespect to noone. Sorry if my statement read like we were on some hesayshesay to narrow down Purdie's acclomplishments....

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

what about Al Jackson Jr? Does he suck b/c he doesn't have the chops of Idris Mohammed or Jabo Starks? b/c Al Jackson basically played EXACTLY like Ringo, simple melodic parts to support the songs...

A few things....

A. Ringo's not a bad drummer at all.

B. On his best day he wasn't fit to carry Al Jackson's drum sticks. Jackson is THE 'in the pocket' drummer of all time, period, end of story.

C. Purdie, despite his obvious talent is nuts. I just finished a book of essays called 'Tell the Truth Until They Bleed' which included a piece on Chuck Rainey, wherein, while engaging in a bit of Purdie-ish "the session guys are responsible for everything cool Steely Dan ever did (including pretty much writing the songs)", he calls out Purdie as an egomaniac.

. Jackson is THE 'in the pocket' drummer of all time, period, end of story.