(T.)R.I.P. Albert Hofmann

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Albert Hofmann, the pioneering Swiss chemist and advocate of psychedelics who discovered the hallucinogenic properties of LSD, died Tuesday. He was 102.http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/lsd-inventor-al.html

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    RIP. Tripping on LSD was one of the most enlightening experiences Ive ever had.

watch all nine parts of this if you have some time to kill

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• This 's for you, Al.

happiest looking old dude.

shame he didn't get to see his discovery properly vindicated - although:

In December 2007, Swiss medical authorities permitted a psychotherapist to perform psychotherapeutical experiments with patients who suffer from terminal stage cancer and other deadly diseases. Although not yet started, these experiments will represent the first study of the therapeutic effects of LSD on humans in 35 years, as other studies have focused on the drug's effects on consciousness and body. Hoffmann supported the study, and continued to believe in the therapeutic benefits of LSD.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I did not know this:

In December 2007, Swiss medical authorities permitted a psychotherapist to perform psychotherapeutical experiments with patients who suffer from terminal stage cancer and other deadly diseases. Although not yet started, these experiments will represent the first study of the therapeutic effects of LSD on humans in 35 years, as other studies have focused on the drug's effects on consciousness and body. Hoffmann supported the study, and continued to believe in the therapeutic benefits of LSD.

Rest in peace, Albert. You changed my life.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    102? Is there a relationship between LSD use and human longevity that I was unaware of?

• Rest in peace, Albert. You changed my life.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The first ever "Bad Trip"...I couldn't imagine what it'd be like having no idea whether it'd ever go away!

And nobody around to tell the dude all he had to do was go for a walk in the woods and it'd be all gooooooood.

I did a real bad thing once for a goof...back in college me and my long haired dirtbag friends threw a keg party and we all dropped...these 2 goth kids show up drinking wine from wine glasses, sticking out like a sore thumb and they decide they wanna drop also, so we give them a couple hits. I dont know if it was the music like Blue Cheer and the MC5 we were blasting a a ridiculous volume or just the scene, but the two goth kids started to have a really bad trip...instead of saying "its gonna be alright" I told them they were probably gonna feel that way for the rest of their lives...I dont know what happened to those two...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

RIP

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Man, what a legend. I had good and bad trips but will always appreciate the doors it opened in my mind.

Pretty crazy to think the guy who made LSD outlived so many others - do you think there will ever be an intelligent attitude towards drugs?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    RAVERS REVEALED!

on a serious note, RIP.