Santogold

2»

Comments

• JEANS AREN'T AS TITE AS SPACNKMYCOCK

dude, you've posted picture of yourself partying with punk and skinhead dudes. That's some O.G. tight pants shit.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ZOING!

Props to your girl and Pase on Conan. Big tiiings a gwaaan

• damn pase was on conan? damn

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I'm loving this album. And for Aussies it's been the triple J feature album for the week.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    My friend was just telling me o check her out the other day. I like it. Sounds really fresh. Don't really see the MIA comparisons. Its just lazy music journalism if you ask me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So my homie's album came out today. Figure I would make the recommendation up here, it's real good. We went to high school together but since then she's done so much stuff. She wrote a bunch of stuff for the Res album and worked with my man Chuck Treece (of McRad and Bad Brains) and had her own band Stiffed a few years ago, and now this is her solo debut. On top of (or despite of) having worked with Mark Ronson and with the whole Spank Rock/M.I.A. crew, she's got a unique sound that, while is decidedly rock, wears it's reggae, electronic and 80s pop influences subtly on her sleeve.

So yeah man, she's a great woman and a really talented artist, so I wanted to give this album my 2 Thumbs Up. Go out and purchase the album - it's out today.

http://www.myspace.com/santogold

Check it out here

I shall check. I liked that ESG/Bush Tetras-flavoured version of the Jam's "Pretty Green" that she did on Ronson's album. A few people over here are talking her up (along with Ebony Bones, who I'm not really feeling) in a fairly positive way. On the basis of that YouTube clip, the MIA comparisons seem pretty lazy to me.

Didn't know about the Res connection - that's interesting. She was definitely a performer who suffered from being too ahead of the curve. The time is probably right for someone like her now, which is where your hommie comes in, I guess.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    SHOVE IT is that Disco D heat that needs to be the indy summer anthem!

Look for the Youtube-Hillary CLinton mashup in 5,4,3.... (someone, please!)

Feeling the album Cos, methinks I will coppeth.....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    My friend was just telling me o check her out the other day. I like it. Sounds really fresh. Don't really see the MIA comparisons. Its just lazy music journalism if you ask me.
    did u hear creator or not

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I heard that track and could have sworn it was some new MIA track.

LES Artistes is dope.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts

Im not going to knock her but Creator is a straight up MIA rip off... I love the song, but really guys?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    just want to say that this song is the shitb,121b,121

• Options
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121My friend was just telling me o check her out the other day. I like it. Sounds really fresh. Don't really see the MIA comparisons. Its just lazy music journalism if you ask me. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121did u hear creator or not b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Im not going to knock her but Creator is a straight up MIA rip off... I love the song, but really guys? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121I immediately thought of MIA (which i don't like) when I first heard "Creator" a few months back. My first reaction was Santo is emulating the MIA sound. But I'm no music expert.b,121b,121Strange thing is, I love "Creator", and it mixes real nice with Skream's "Sandsnake" if you like dubstep. All the other Santo tracks are forgettable to me.

• Some of her songs are total M.I.A.-inspired, sure. But 9 times out of 10 tell me she doesn't sound like this:b,121b,121 b,121b,121Not a bad thing for me though - Missing Persons were a childhood fave and I still dig them.

• Quote:h,121b,121just want to say that this song is the shitb,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121this is some really fresh stuff~! b,121b,121b,121not 2 hijack but i seen Captainplanet posting up in here, and i just heard some of your new tracks posting on yur webpage and that stuff is amazing also.b,121b,121cheers to good musicb,121and soulstrut for spreading the word

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121Some of her songs are total M.I.A.-inspired, sure. But 9 times out of 10 tell me she doesn't sound like this:b,121b,121 b,121b,121Not a bad thing for me though - Missing Persons were a childhood fave and I still dig them. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121That's EXACTLY who I think of every time I hear her songs.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121My friend was just telling me o check her out the other day. I like it. Sounds really fresh. Don't really see the MIA comparisons. Its just lazy music journalism if you ask me. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121did u hear creator or not b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Im not going to knock her but Creator is a straight up MIA rip off... I love the song, but really guys? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121I immediately thought of MIA (which i don't like) when I first heard "Creator" a few months back. My first reaction was Santo is emulating the MIA sound. But I'm no music expert.b,121b,121Strange thing is, I love "Creator", and it mixes real nice with Skream's "Sandsnake" if you like dubstep. All the other Santo tracks are forgettable to me. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121to be clear, i dont think theres anything wrong w/ the fact that shes imitating MIA's sound in and of itself. sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt. in this case tho, i dont particularly care for mia's sound in the first place.b,121b,121i feel like santogold is a great songwriter so she shouldnt have to do MIAs warmed over style, but its probably been a better business decision at any rate, since Res is MIAction

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i know the mia/santa comparisons can go overboard at times, but i would like to just add that i am digging the diplo/santagold dub mix a lot.b,121b,121some quality remix/blends on that tape.b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121...sorry, back to low-bee.com now..ha

• sergserg 682 Posts
    You'll Find A Way is one of my favorite songs right now, shit jams. the remix alright but I'll take the original version over that any day.b,121b,121people are trying to hard to make the mia comparison, it's easy and pointless.

• holy Fusk. Serg likes Santogold?

• b,121b,121b,121it's cute that the kids are discovering new things everyday.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    b,121b,121b,121it's cute that the kids are discovering new things everyday. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Im glad homegirl is getting that Bud Light money...Lights Out is the summer anthem. I know its an apples and oranges comparison but I think Santogold rules over MIA.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think its apples and oranges. her breakthrough song, 'creator,' is a 100% MIA bite. I think acting like thats some propaganda or something from hatteurs is deceptiveb,121b,121again, that doesnt mean its bad. but it makes sense to compare.

• Quote:h,121b,121Im glad homegirl is getting that Bud Light money.../quote]b,121b,121and that converse money... heheb,121b,121I don't have any problem with her at all... quit quoting me as some sort of anti santo zealot

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Her band don't like her anymore.

• really dig that les artistes, but i have a feeling this is gonna kill her appeal....b,121

• Quote:h,121b,121really dig that les artistes, but i have a feeling this is gonna kill her appeal....b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121Why would it?b,121With whom?b,121You?b,121What is it that would make this kill her appeal, truly? Your perception that she will make too much loot for her own good with that?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    b,121b,121Damn, what an album, too many dynamic sounds on this disc, -reggae,punk,indie. Great production. I can't find the track with dude from Steel Pulse on it? Its not to late folks to listen to this. I wish I would had found it earlier.