Santogold

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
So my homie's album came out today. Figure I would make the recommendation up here, it's real good. We went to high school together but since then she's done so much stuff. She wrote a bunch of stuff for the Res album and worked with my man Chuck Treece (of McRad and Bad Brains) and had her own band Stiffed a few years ago, and now this is her solo debut. On top of (or despite of) having worked with Mark Ronson and with the whole Spank Rock/M.I.A. crew, she's got a unique sound that, while is decidedly rock, wears it's reggae, electronic and 80s pop influences subtly on her sleeve. So yeah man, she's a great woman and a really talented artist, so I wanted to give this album my 2 Thumbs Up. Go out and purchase the album - it's out today.

http://www.myspace.com/santogoldCheck it out here

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Oddly, enough that project I was telling you about was to bring Santogold down too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okilydokily. Hit me on the electronic-mail...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My girlfriend has been playing it a lot the last week.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

She's great and people are starting to catch on. There's a gang of hot remixes out there too.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I like that, kiiinnnda like some modern day Missing Persons type stuff.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    her stuff with res is great but someone stop this MIA type shit please

• This is perhaps the only record this year that I have been fully excited about. Seriously! She puts on a great show. The sinden and switch remix of you'll find a way is hard as fuckkkkkkk. Cop (I mean buy) that shit on the real!

• Actually been excited for the Portishead and Atmosphere records too... Buy those too...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Haven't heard anything else but the song posted above bears absolutely no similarity to MIA whatsoever.

I liked it - not what I'd expected.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Haven't heard anything else but the song posted above bears absolutely no similarity to MIA whatsoever.

I liked it - not what I'd expected.

There is no similarity. The closest one could come to making a connection is that 2 of her songs were produced by Switch, but they don't really sound like M.I.A. although I guess one could see M.I.A. rapping on said tracks.

It's a rock album.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dunno im just talking about the totally MIA sounding track i heard when someone linked me to her myspace awhile back

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So maybe listen to it?

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    It's a little flat. And her last project 'Stiffed' was derivative booty mall punk, so this is growth.
    And she can sing and MIA has more bark than vocal skill. Plus the video is beautifully shot, some Talking Heads type stylized business.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The tracks I've heard have been similar to MIA but that's not a bad thing to me.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i lub me some santi. she's a sweetheart. she and her band the stiffed performed for a benefit that i organized a few years back. so just for that, i'll ride for her anytime, any day.

i haven't heard much from her new album, but given her work with the stiffed and RES, i'm looking forward to it. thanks for the reminder, cosmo

also, a lot of people are heralding her as an M.I.A. rip-off which irks me. santi's had music out waaaay before M.I.A. blew up. the funny thing about M.I.A. is that her FIRST SHOW EVER PERFORMED was at some Fader party. talk about hype princess. santi's been in the game for a while, can write and sing, has stage presence, and is cute to boot.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i am curious about this as everyone says it's good, yet i saw Stiffed like 3 years ago and they were one of the worst bands i've ever seen... tho the fact that i was in Joe's Pub may have had something to do w/ it...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think it's cool she worked on the Res album. Slept-on.

But people trying to prop Santogold by bashing MIA (or vice versa) are being silly. You don't think Santogold is huge with the Pitchfork crowd? Be serious. Trying to argue "who's real vs. who's fake" is some played out, century-old pop music debate that's pointless.

The point is not to like Santogold or hate her because she's original or not original or because she sounds like someone else or doesn't. The bigger issue: does her music rock? From what I've heard, the answer is: yes.

• This song is cool and the video is incredibly cool.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    You don't think Santogold is huge with the Pitchfork crowd? Be serious. Trying to argue "who's real vs. who's fake" is some played out, century-old pop music debate that's pointless.

i think given the way hype and labels plays out, there's going to be a crossover of fan-base. so it might be safe to say that someone who likes santogold would like m.i.a. folks are expecting the album to be switch & sinden produced since that's was floating around with her name.

don't get mad! i know you love you some, m.i.a.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    But people trying to prop Santogold by bashing MIA (or vice versa) are being silly. You don't think Santogold is huge with the Pitchfork crowd? Be serious. Trying to argue "who's real vs. who's fake" is some played out, century-old pop music debate that's pointless.

The point is not to like Santogold or hate her because she's original or not original or because she sounds like someone else or doesn't. The bigger issue: does her music rock? From what I've heard, the answer is: yes.

On point.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    some of the production is cool, but not really feelin her singing.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    is the 'santogold is REALER than MIA!' debate going on @ low budget forums or some shit? that sounds silly as hell

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like Res, I like Stiffed, I like Switch, I don't like MIA.

so should I like santogold?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    is the 'santogold is REALER than MIA!' debate going on @ low budget forums or some shit? that sounds silly as hell

No.

Thanks for everyone who has bought, or at least has taken the time out today to check my friend's stuff.

• JEANS AREN'T AS TITE AS SPACNKMYCOCK

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    o relax cosmo ill check your girl when im not at work and can actually listen to music

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah man that wasn't meant as a dig on you. The closest anywhere has come to having that discussion is right here on good old Soulstrut. And I'm obviously riding for her so the thanks was meant to sound genuine.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    This is perhaps the only record this year that I have been fully excited about. Seriously!

Me, too! I thought the Neon Neon album was pretty good for a concept album, but even my favorite songs on it grew old after a few weeks. So this is a much more aesthetically complex (in a good way) replacement.

As for the comparisons, I'll admit that when I heard "Creator" for the first time, I thought I was hearing Nelly Furtado with MIA-esque production, but would have never mistaken the vocals for MIA. I think I could only describe her (Santogold's) voice as reminiscent of an '80s female vocalist (no particular artist) and leave it at that.

• We went to high school together

furreal?

stiffed was dope, res was dope, this shit is BETTER.

different than MIA, but I can at least understand the comparisons on some tracks. bottom line though is that she is making music that inspires me greatly. makes me want to make more music. SHOVE IT is that Disco D heat that needs to be the indy summer anthem!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This is perhaps the only record this year that I have been fully excited about. Seriously!

Me, too! I thought the Neon Neon album was pretty good for a concept album, but even my favorite songs on it grew old after a few weeks. So this is a much more aesthetically complex (in a good way) replacement.

As for the comparisons, I'll admit that when I heard "Creator" for the first time, I thought I was hearing Nelly Furtado with MIA-esque production, but would have never mistaken the vocals for MIA. I think I could only describe her (Santogold's) voice as reminiscent of an '80s female vocalist (no particular artist) and leave it at that.
    ok i just checked all this shit and you're on crack if u think creator isnt 100% MIA style. and its about as unlistenable to me

anyway the other song at the beginning of this thread i like better but its still a little too yeah yeah yeahs for me