recent lite rock

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
my citizen cope poast got me to thinkin'... i need some lite rock from recent years (i already have every piece of 70's lite rock / am gold / marina rock that i will ever need), i want to put this type of music on a cd. any suggestions? stuff like these:

if you're afraid it would make you look uncool in the eyes of your fellow soulstrutters to name certain songs or artists, just say that you know about these songs from your white wife / girlfriend / significant other. and to avoid making myself seem uncool, i'll say that i want these songs for my black wife (although that's a lie, i only want them for my own listening enjoyment). thanks!

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh man you know i got u covered. this is just off the top of my head but

natalie merchant - candy. i think thats what its called. it has the cheesey chorus of

HEY!
    HEY!
    GIVE EM WHAT THEY WANT!

sophie B-yatch hawkins - i dont know what the song is called but it goes.

AS I
    LAY ME
    DOWN TO SLEEP
    I BLAH BLAH BLAH
    THAT YOU WILL BLAH BLAH BLAH

dont let the fact that i dont know the words fool you. i did aerobics to this once. yes aerobics.

she also has another BANGER that i know is classic but i cant think of it right now

that GOD song goes like

WHAT IF GOD WAS ONE OF US?
    JUST A SLOB LIKE ONE OF US?

whoever sings that. white chick with a nose ring is all i remember

um, ok, i know i know more. just give me time. but thats like caviar appetizers in the lite rock 12 course meal.

oh that bizare love triagle cover by that band with the australian accent.

CRANBURRRRRRRRRRRRRRIES!!!!!![/b]

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Jewel. Cowboy Junkies. I don't think it's lite rock, but does anyone here ride for 54-40?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Don Henley
    Bryan Adams
    Tom Cochrane

oh man i love the cowboy junkies! i havent heard anything by them on the lite rock station though.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Sea & the Cake b/w Sam Prekop
    Lewis Taylor "The Lost Album"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yo Haz... stuff you are mentioning is not very recent. i'm talkin bout stuff released in the last few years or at least the 2000s or not far before

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

sophie B-yatch hawkins - i dont know what the song is called but it goes.

AS I
    LAY ME
    DOWN TO SLEEP
    I BLAH BLAH BLAH
    THAT YOU WILL BLAH BLAH BLAH

nice one!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Phill, they are sending you down some dark late 90's trails.

This may sound like a joke, but peep some Grey's Anatomy soundtracks. It's right up the alley of the shit you posted. I could also make you a mix of some similar stuff. Maybe I'll record some of my favorites and post it up in this beatch. I don't know all of the new girls, but I've got some heaters from the early 2000s.

You also listed a lot of songs used in commercials. Lots of VH1 "you oughtta now" artists too. Corrine Bailey Rae was once a you oughtta now artist. I know you like her.

Are you a Fiona Apple Fan. The first two albums are caliente. Piano and drums and Jon Brion pre-Kanye.

You may like Mirah. Maybe you'd like some Regina Spektor.

Regina:

Maybe Mia Doi Todd. She's too operatic and weird for me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Fiona Apple is alright, at least Criminal was hot. Is she lite rock?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    A Girl Called Eddy

I tooka chance on this in '04/05....its decent, but its not happy office music.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    oh that bizare love triagle cover by that band with the australian accent.

FRENTE!!

^thats it!

oh and the other sophie b hawkins song is

damn!

wish i was your luh-ver!

This song is by an australian idol reject (who lost his music show hosting gig for dropping his pants at our music award show) and he's actually doing ok with it here now......they say it's a lil coldplay-esque......??

i dedicate this next lite rock ditty to faux_rillz

Shakespeare Sisters were great....well that song certainly was!!

In honour of your cranberries suggestion....this was the 1st cd single i ever bought!!

i dont have headphones at the moment so i dont know what kiwi song that is. but heres another classic!

It's Evermore- running

Too funny!! Was at a scottish wedding a couple months ago in aus and they played that song at the end and everyone went crazy dancing Hava Nagila style around the bride and groom!!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    CRANBURRRRRRRRRRRRRRIES!!!!!![/b]

A little known fact that I'm sure I've mentioned, but bears repeating: this is the only band whose entire discography I have purchased as the albums were released (even that Dolores O'Riordan vanity project that came out last year).

This thread has me thinking, though--where does one draw the line between adult contemporary and lite rock? Karoake Friday is coming up and that Leona Lewis chick has me wanting to tap into my inner Celine...

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    oh man you know i got u covered. this is just off the top of my head but

natalie merchant - candy. i think thats what its called. it has the cheesey chorus of

HEY!
    HEY!
    GIVE EM WHAT THEY WANT!

"Candy Everybody Wants" by 10,000 Maniacs, Natalie's old band! I gotta say 10,000 Maniacs is by far one of the best for this kind of music. Start with the Unplugged album maybe, cause hey why not?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Anybody ride for John Mayer? I've been thinking about getting a copy of one of his. Which one should I start with?