Prince at Coachella

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Wish I was there. All the descriptive and bootleg evidence points to this being a show for the ages. I've been watching YouTube fan videos this morning, but they keep getting smoked so I won't even bother posting one in this thread.I'm just trying to picture what the reaction must've been like in a crowd of young twenty-somethings when he started the show off with Morris Day & The Time doing "The Bird" and "Jungle Love". Does it compute?I have sworn off going to these big mass-of-humanity kind of shows, I just can't handle it anymore. But for this Prince show, seeing him do an ace version of "Shhh (Break It Down)" from the Gold Album and then doing a cover of Radiohead "Creep", big ups to Sheila E, and all of that, I would have put up with the swollen masses, porta-pottys and $8 bottles of water.Anybody see this in real life?alright dammit, here's one that hasn't been wiped off yet, some Controversy for you. Video is terrible, but sound is great. Listen to the tight-like-gnat-booty funk riffs on that Telecaster:Prince in the springtime is a good look. His music, detail and enthusiasm are life-affirming. Makes the young feel old, and the old feel young, so everyone's happier after. I may go to the beach.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    It was incredible[/b]. I hate those kind of events too but it was worth it for the "OH SHIIIIIIIT" moments. I was buggin' when he brought Sheila E out for "Glamorous Life" and slapped a few people in the face doing the bird to "Jungle Love".

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I'm sooooooooo jealous of anyone that got to see this. Prince STILL GOT IT, and the band sounds tight as hell.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    we cut out early to avoid the 60,000+ people heading to their cars, but I read he went beyond closing and did a 2 hour show

• HamHam 872 Posts
    man. that sounds really good....how was his latest album? i never got around to hearing that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

His music, detail and enthusiasm are life-affirming. Makes the young feel old, and the old feel young, so everyone's happier after. I may go to the beach.

The mention of Sheila E made me do a YouTube search for her with Prince, instead I found this. Talk about life-affirming.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My friend is a Prince fan since forever and described the Coachella set as one of the best three performances by him he's ever seen.

I've been to Coachella once and have never, ever had the desire to go back and even this shit makes me a little envious.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Wow, I would go pay to see that.

• chaschas 45 Posts

Wish I was there. All the descriptive and bootleg evidence points to this being a show for the ages. I've been watching YouTube fan videos this morning, but they keep getting smoked so I won't even bother posting one in this thread.

I'm just trying to picture what the reaction must've been like in a crowd of young twenty-somethings when he started the show off with Morris Day & The Time doing "The Bird" and "Jungle Love". Does it compute?

I have sworn off going to these big mass-of-humanity kind of shows, I just can't handle it anymore. But for this Prince show, seeing him do an ace version of "Shhh (Break It Down)" from the Gold Album and then doing a cover of Radiohead "Creep", big ups to Sheila E, and all of that, I would have put up with the swollen masses, porta-pottys and $8 bottles of water.

Anybody see this in real life?

Coincidentally, I had to make a delivery down in Indio this weekend, so Friday night my girl and I trucked our asses out of the Bay and were desert-bound with no intentions of going to Coachella for all of the reasons you mentioned - we figured we 'd hit up the water park or Joshua Tree before heading home, but porta-pottys and swollen masses were not on the agenda. Besides, all the one-day tickets were told out according to the website.

As soon as we got close to the venue we realized that we didn't really have a choice; I mean, how could we be chillin' a mile away from Frickin'' Prince and not go? I, for one, would have had a hard time dealing with the regret and shame.

So Saturday morning we went over to the box office, strolled past a gang of scalpers trying to sell tickets for $150 each, walked directly up to the window and in about 40 seconds were $200 poorer but holding two tickets to Coachella. As we were walking back to the car, I kinda had that "I just came up!" feeling, like when you give the guy at the liquor store a ten and he gives you change for a twenty, and we laughed at the people in the parking lot trying to negotiate with the scalpers... "well okay, I'll give you $130, but can you guarantee this ticket is legit?"

Anyway, the water prices were better than expected and the porta-pottys much, much, much worse. I even took a photo they were so bad, but I'll spare Soulstrut the grossness. I don't really take drugs, but I can see the allure at an event like this: no spending $100 just trying to get a little drunk going, only to be rewarded with nary a buzz and multiple trips to said foul, foul shit houses.

Seeing Kraftwerk was like, "yeah, this is probably one of the coolest shows I've seen. This is totally awesome." Portishead was up next and alternately played some shit off of their new album and their classics. Mind was blown.

Then Prince came out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Prince backed by the Grupo Fantasma horn section no less.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Word! The Grupo Fantasma dudes must be living one unreal life right now.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Word! The Grupo Fantasma dudes must be living one unreal life right now.

Last week they were on Jay Leno.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    On a somewhat unrelated note - Calvin Harris Frickin' kiiiiiilled it at Coachella.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Prince was amazing.
    I'm still recovering.

Portishead KILLED it as well. They really went beyond what I was expecting.
    AMAZING!
    I've gone to 4 Coachella's now and both performances rank as some of the best sets.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I'm not even a prince fan but man that video makes me wish I was there.

She's gettin it in..

This was about prince my bad......