back from Ghana-Togo-Benin road trip

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Last weekend I got back to Conakry after a one month long diging trip through Ghana, Togo and Benin. For the entire trip I was followed around by NY documentary film maker Leigh Iacobucci. Highlights were interviews with El Rego, Gustave Bentho (Poly Rythmo), Danialou Sagbohan and a Ghanian DJ legend who shall remain anonymous for the time being. My favorite moment was when Gilles, the son of Gnonnas Pedro performed his fathers Afrobeat bomb "okpo videa bassouo" that was included on the LIFE IS A GAME mix. I promise to post up a trailer as soon as possible.Here are some of the finds from this trip: New mixes should be up within a few days!

Comments

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Damn, that is so hot that I want to kill myself!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Damn, that is so hot that I want to kill myself!

X 1 000 000

These finds would make me throw in the towel in order to rebalance the record karma for the universe of other collectors

Incredible...its lovely that in your life your passion for this type of music has lead you to this incredible adventure that is equaled by your finds

hats off

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Stunning finds as always. It must be such a pleasure to look through these actual records. The covers are beautiful.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Amazing as usual. Why is this not your avatar though???

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    You know, when someone has finds like this, you gotta wonder what the hell their rejects look like?

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Never heard of the Christy Essien LP. Mindblowing as usual Frank.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I have to admit that I know very little about African music so could someone explain to me what Poly Rythmo music is. I assume it means something like many rhythms. Is the sound similar to afro funk stuff or is it more traditional or something else entirely?

Congratulations again Frank on an amazing haul!

• man, every time you post I kick myself a little harder for not trying harder to find records when I was in Ghana in 2003. I was there for a whole semester and came home with some CDs and tapes.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    /quote]

damn that top left = delicious

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    damn that top left = delicious

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    OH FOR FUCKSSAKE!

Twist the knife ya bastard.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Its funny the only records I own in the those pictures are the top two. When I first started scrolling I was thinking I might actually have a decent African collection. Well, after those first two records I had exactly zero of the rest. Back to reality.
    Nice finds as always!

• nessness 249 Posts
    Poly Rythmo

refers to orchestra t.p. poly rhythmo. fairly well known group. frank is killing it.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    I have to admit that I know very little about African music so could someone explain to me what Poly Rythmo music is. I assume it means something like many rhythms. Is the sound similar to afro funk stuff or is it more traditional or something else entirely?

Congratulations again Frank on an amazing haul!

It's the name of a tight-as-fuck band out of Benin. Guitar and drums used to drive the rhythm. Funk, latin, and psych in addtion to tradtional african music all in one. Not to be missed.

http://www.ducktape.ca/images/square2_off.gif

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Thanks for this.

So when these words appear on other artists releases does this mean that it is in the same style?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus motherfucking christ what the fuck...

• The band name is not indicative of a particular style, as they released records in a variety of musical styles.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Okayyyy... So Kanye's been jacking his style from JO Tongo for all these years now...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Amazing as usual. Why is this not your avatar though???

I found this one (amongst a whole pile of heat) at the house of an old DJ outside of Accra. He had all his remaining records piled up under the balcony behind his house. Pulled a EX blue Marijata out of the first pile, it was insane. He told me that when he had moved about 5 years ago, he had discovered that moths had eaten up the sleeves from most of his records and he threw away thousands of them.
    Anyway... we went inside to check out some records on my portable. I threw on the record above and it has a song named "call me Frank" that starts out "call me frank, I whisper in your ear, my life is crazy and I look so funny..." we all had to laugh real hard.

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    looks amazing. looking forward to the new mix

• damn that top left = delicious

geebus, the dumper on the girl on the left is next level.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Jesus motherfucking christ what the fuck...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Within the past 3 years, I crossed interafrican borders more than 50 times.
    I'm slowly running out of empty pages in the back of my passport:

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    stunning!!! and a documentary to boot... cant wait to see this someday...

hey.. ive actually got one of those! (the Ginger Baker of course, heh heh)

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    frnk, i think at this point, you are pretty much obliged to put together a book/magazine pictorial of album covers, selected photos and your passport.

i have no idea what the music sounds like, but i know id buy many copies (perfect birfday, wedding, holiday gift). maybe it could have a 2 cd mix included?

do it!!!

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

i have no idea what the music sounds like,
    do it!!!

Marijata