Reasons to go dig in the classical section

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
It's usually not that rewarding, but hours of digging through a classical section once yielded a quite good MPS record that had been misfiled.But really... the classical selection isn't usually even that fruitful, is it?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    As far as resale, there's some stuff you can learn
    fairly easily, like which conductors are desirable
    on Living Stereo doing what composers, etc.
    I did real well with a Living Presence promo from
    like '58 that I found a thrift once, like $160.

But shit must be MINT or it's cratediggers.com bound.

• one good reason: chamber music

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    one good reason: chamber music

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    ill drama stabs.

b/w

blazing orchestral swells

b/w

phat pizzicato plucks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    the reason i look at the classical section is because dudes ALWAYS hide their "finds for later" there. sometimes its a pile of pretty good stuff!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

electronic music used to get misfiled quite alot

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    In an attempt to strengthen my 20th Century classical game, I've just started reading this;

Anyone up on it, or on Alex Ross generally? The book seems to have had universally good reviews, and a few people have commented on its usefulness as an entry point into modern classical shit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Double that, P-Ro!

I look for anything solo Cello-related, or piano-cello related.

So much interesting music out there in terms of small groups, duos, trios and yes, Jewbacca's favorite, the solo piano monsters.

Most hated in my world:

woodwind quartets (flutes I can deal with, but clarinets make me wince)
    chamber music ruined by vocal soloists

and the worst of all:

harpsichord, anything with harpsichord drives me nuts, I hate that instrument.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    there's some good stuff to pick up for cheap

you just got to know your composers

like birdman says...solo piano stuff is always moving

you may like more modern russian composers, etc

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    some of those classical LPS are big ticket collectron stuff, but you have to know what you are looking for. I think the living stereo or one of those labels is one of them.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

harpsichord, anything with harpsichord drives me nuts, I hate that instrument.

Ha! Maybe you just need some schooling in that area: there's loads of beautiful baroque music featuring harpsichords - most of the time the harpsichord is used in continuo as a rhythm instrument - sounds like it's the tinkly solo harpsichord Scarlatti-style stuff that you be afeared of. Aaar.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    there's some good stuff to pick up for cheap

you just got to know your composers

like birdman says...solo piano stuff is always moving

you may like more modern russian composers, etc

You have to know your performers and labels and the various series within those labels. Composers will not get you far with looking for valuable records.

If you like solo piano then try Alfred Brendel playing Beethoven piano sonatas. Never bettered.

Excellent Baroque Brazilian with harpsicord

Luiz Eca playing Chico Buarque de Hollanda

download here:

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/03/luiz-eca-e-radames-gnattali-os-6-mais.html

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    If you did have knowledge there are some seriously rare and expensive classical LPs around e.g.Decca SXL search on popsike

I need to step up my classical game

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I always look there for misfiled records.
    I have found nice stuff there and the last one was this:

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    that cy coleman record and those tepid beninghoff recrods

heifitz?

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    If you did have knowledge there are some seriously rare and expensive classical LPs around e.g.Decca SXL search on popsike

I need to step up my classical game

my dudez,
    EMI- ASD, Decca- SXL, and Columbia- SAX

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    the reason i look at the classical section is because dudes ALWAYS hide their "finds for later" there. sometimes its a pile of pretty good stuff!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im looking for classical blogs!

i like the piano etudes and stuff. its just relaxing.

im looking for classical blogs!

i like the piano etudes and stuff. its just relaxing.

elitist.

I cling to guns and religion.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    sometimes i look just for the cover art. sometimes i see shit that could easily be some small-label psych banger or whatever and then its like "prelude to whatever parts 1-6 by chekovsky jr." on columbia...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    electronic music used to get misfiled quite alot

Most stores file electronic records in classical... or at least in a sub-section. They are classical.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The best reason to dig through the classical section is that it is less likely to have been properly dug through by the people who came before you. Aside from the actual dope classical records I've found, there have been the random Bruce Haacks, Sun Ras, Au Pairs, Joy Divisions, library records, etc. parked there.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The best reason to dig through the classical section is that it is less likely to have been properly dug through by the people who came before you. Aside from the actual dope classical records I've found, there have been the random Bruce Haacks, Sun Ras, Au Pairs, Joy Divisions, library records, etc. parked there.

This is why I always check the "jazz vocal" and even "pop vocal"
    sections ... there is heat potential, and the dustydiggers.com
    dudes are less likely to have pored over it ...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    dustydiggers.com

Hate on my dude all you want, you're only outing yourself as a late adopter, dawg.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A true digger checks EVERY section......plaese to tell me what sections you little dudes ignore.

• dustydiggers.com

Hate on my dude all you want, you're only outing yourself as a late adopter, dawg.
    Or at least middle-to-late.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A true digger checks EVERY section......plaese to tell me what sections you little dudes ignore.

I've grown accustomed to not looking at the boxed sets and 78s (actually there's one box I often peek at the spines for)