Donny Hathaway

thedailyhustlethedailyhustle 151 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I pulled Donny Hathaway - Everything is Everything yesterday, and wow i knew i been missing out on his music. What other work of his do yall appreciate or recommend?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    EVERYTHING.

• Word. Haha thats what i figured. Ill keep my eyes peeled for him in the field for sure

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I pulled Donny Hathaway - Everything is Everything yesterday, and wow i knew i been missing out on his music. What other work of his do yall appreciate or recommend?

ALL OF IT!!! Donny was a pure genius. Also, check out productions of his like "First Taste of Sin" by Cold Blood.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Check out the Suffer song he co-wrote on Curtis Mayfield's Sweet Exorcist.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Everything he did was good but
    Donny Hathaway Live is an essential album all killer no filler

One of my favorite LP's

I actually prefer the other live album.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    EVERYTHING.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Check out the Suffer song he co-wrote on Curtis Mayfield's Sweet Exorcist.
    the Curtis reissue has a demo of this song is incredible
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/11152331f374c51c/

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    EVERYTHING.

Seriously. The dude is well-lauded among the music community, but is still vastly underrated. This is my all-time favorite duet, ever.

When I was cooking in New Orleans, I could sing any line from this song, and some other line cook would sing the next line without hesitation (and with much better vocal range than me).

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

There is also the "Love Is" album by Lovelace Watkins on UNI Records with some Donny Hathaway arrangements on it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Keep in mind that Donny Hathaway didn't have that many records to begin with. His discography is relatively small. If you take away the compilations, the collaborations and posthumous releases, he only had four albums to his name while he was alive.

So, by default, he is definitely one of those buy-everything dudes.

EVERYTHING.

Seriously. The dude is well-lauded among the music community, but is still vastly underrated.

I wouldnt call him underatted. He has a regular rotation on Black Radio/late night and even lite radio formats. W/ only a handfull of lps i dont see hime ever gettin Marvin/Curtis love regardless if his talent was on the same level.

EVERYTHING.

Seriously. The dude is well-lauded among the music community, but is still vastly underrated.

I wouldnt call him underatted. He has a regular rotation on Black Radio/late night and even lite radio formats.

Maybe I haven't been listening to the radio enough, but if I hear Donny Hathaway on the radio, it's either "This Christmas" or one of the Roberta Flack duets. Nothing else. I'd be inclined to agree that he is a tad underrated.

EVERYTHING.

I wouldnt call him underatted. He has a regular rotation on Black Radio/late night and even lite radio formats.

Maybe I haven't been listening to the radio enough, but if I hear Donny Hathaway on the radio, it's either "This Christmas" or one of the Roberta Flack duets. Nothing else. I'd be inclined to agree that he is a tad underrated.

True....ill hear Someday We'll All Be Free every once in a while, but no album cuts.

HERE IS A MAJOR REASON WHY DONNY HATHAWAY WILL ALWAYS BE THAT DUDE:[/b]

HERE IS A MAJOR REASON WHY DONNY HATHAWAY WILL ALWAYS BE THAT DUDE:[/b]

Hahaha....U know how to bring it there.

The Maude theme is my jam. It's aged a lot better than the show!!

And who else but Hathaway would describe Joan of Arc as "a sister who really cooked"?

And who else but Hathaway would describe Joan of Arc as "a sister who really cooked"?

My family watched Maude. I dont remember one episode. How frequent was Florida Evans featured?

My family watched Maude. I dont remember one episode. How frequent was Florida Evans featured?

I don't remember much about the series either, and my family watched it too. I seem to remember Florida being a major part of the show until Good Times happened along.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Word. Haha thats what i figured. Ill keep my eyes peeled for him in the field for sure

Also, keep an eye out for this group "Palebo" I've been hearing so much about lately.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I still got "Everything is Everything" but I didn't particularly like the production work on "Extension of a Man".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    One of the best to ever do it.

but I didn't particularly like the production work on "Extension of a Man".

Ur buggin.

I still got "Everything is Everything" but I didn't particularly like the production work on "Extension of a Man".

elaborate

elaborate

"No Funky Blackman Soul Beats on here!!!?!!"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

elaborate

I haven't heard it in a minute, but I did try to get into it. The sound just wasn't doing it for me. Ofcourse, I was saying the same thing about Chi-Lites "A Lonely Man" and then I went back and actually listened to it. And now it's one of my favorite records. I might have to buy "Extension..." and revisit it again.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

you are a total tasteless clown. i bet you don't like my avatar either.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There is also the "Love Is" album by Lovelace Watkins on UNI Records with some Donny Hathaway arrangements on it.

I was excited to see Donny's name in the credits, but when I checked this LP out recently it wasn't really hittin - like one or two songs were decent but it really wasn't a listener IMO. Looked like it might have been early enough that it predated his solo releases, had me wondering if he was another one of those dudes who was doing hella work behind the scenes in the 60s before he really got to put it down on his own.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A quick search just now came up w/nothing, but does anyone know if there's a fansite or other reference that might list his production/arrangement/songwriting credits outside of his own releases?