Jack Bruce "Things We Like" LP Appreciation

2»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm sayin'. Great record and quite possibly THE illest early 90s sample record! Plaese to post an album that was sampled for more early 90s East coast rap classics than this one....

I'm a big Jack Bruce fan generally, but this one in particular I have a lot of time for. Even though it's his second solo album chronologically speaking, he actually recorded it just before Cream broke up. I quite like the idea that the first thing he wanted to do when he knew Cream were splitting was make a straight-up jazz album.

Incredible musician, great singer and a severely underrated songwriter as well, imho. His first few solo albums are full of original and interesting tunes, especially Harmony Row and Songs For A Tailor, and the band he had with Carla Bley, Mick Taylor (ex- of the Stones) and Bruce Gary (later of the Knack, and who was about 17 when he worked with Bruce) was fantastic. It's a shame they never recorded a studio album.

• its also notable, i believe, because it marks the first appearance of John McLaughlin on record, and jack Bruce wrote these songs when he was a kid.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i missed out on a copy of this here in HK recently! someone scopped it quick fast.

ah well...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Things we like

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    its also notable, i believe, because it marks the first appearance of John McLaughlin on record, and jack Bruce wrote these songs when he was a kid.
    welll....kinda pause worthy that a youngster was writing about "sams enchanted dick" but i wont dwell. its a beautiful testament to hiphop that a quirky, jazz rock record like this had a huge influence on a legendary period of production. hiphop is the melting pot and the american dream!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    It doesn't turn up as much as people are acting like it does. At least not in New England Texas

Seriously. I got my copy in trade a long time ago and have only seen it "in the field (that means 1/2 Price Books)" once since then. For the longest time I'd disappoint myself by flipping through the rock B's only to find "Songs for a Tailor" each time... which I hear is a good album, I've just never bought it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I've never listened to this before.

Get with the program dunny. I think you would really like this album.

Sorry pops! I should be able to locate this "in the field" though?

You should really not have a problem catching this. It is not raer or anything like that.

Yikes:

http://www1.gemm.com/item/BRUCE-c-JACK/THINGS--WE--LIKE/GML1083807/

JackBruceRaer

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I totally ride for "Things We Like"!!! I enjoyed it even before everyone and their momma sampled from it. I had to re-create "Bucktown" for my wife, on some bugged shit (she actually loves that joint), and she was like "Wow!!!" I told her I had all the elements, but I guess she didn't believe me. Those Whatnauts drums were hittin' hard in the ASR-10!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I love this record, one of those ones I just listen to for musical value and to bug out on samples...

I have passed this up a stack of times too.. RAER??

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I had to re-create "Bucktown" for my wife

That really needs to be someones location.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Funny how hard it used to be to track this one down back in the 90s.

For real I think my copy is probably the only one I've ever seen - prob a regional thing. I've never really listened to it though.

It's crazy that this thread recently jumped off. I was up in my hometown over the weekend, hit up some old haunts, and ran across the first copy of this I've seen. At $10 for a minty copy, it was a no-brainer.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Funny thing is i did the same thing not for my wife, but for a friend that didn't believe the cella dwellas sample came from here also. I think it was Nick Wiz who produced it. When my friend heard the sax, the filtered bass and all that, his jaws dropped on the floor. That was the good old times...recreating beats to show your friend you was more than a record nerd.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    You can FLAC this on demonoid.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    post an album that was sampled for more early 90s East coast rap classics than this one....

and

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    That was the good old times...recreating beats to show your friend you was more than a record nerd.

basically sums up all the "skipped 2nd block" smoke sessions that we had in my room back in H.S.

"Here you know this song, right?........Now check this..."