What are the good raps?

13»

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Been listening to that DJ Luuso disco rap mix in the mixes section quite a few times now. It has made me want to start a disco-rap band.

What the heck is disco rap? Blondie?

They qualify. Give this a listen:

http://www.soulstrut.com/mixes/listen.php?ID=92

- J

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Faux, that's CRAZY.

It's not that crazy. This is a guy who admitted to never having heard MF Doom's Doomsday either. He associates certain albums with a certain group of listeners and it clouds his judgment.

Dude, that's all you--I've don't think I've ever said anything about who I associate either of those albums with. You're the one that apparently associates them with somebody. I just think the Pharcyde record is annoyingly corny. But if it brings you back to the formative keggers of your youth then, by all means, don't let me deny you the pleasure.

nah man I am refering specifcally to your admission in the space rap thread (or whatever) that you never checked for Doom's album because you associated it with those other corny space rap albums (e.g. Deltron, various Kool Kieth projects, etc.). the album is good. and let's not get all ashurt; I PROMISE next time I throw a kegger you will get an invite. matter of fact I may throw a party for the release of Game's next tape; can I borrow your tap?

Doubt I said that--if I offered a reason for having not checked for the album, it was most likely that I had bought the 12"s that preceded it and based on them wasn't interested in the album. It certainly wasn't based on who I thought was listening to it.

I suspect you're confusing me with someone else. I may sometimes clown an artist for their fanbase, but it doesn't really inform whether or not I like their music.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Faux, that's CRAZY.

It's not that crazy. This is a guy who admitted to never having heard MF Doom's Doomsday either. He associates certain albums with a certain group of listeners and it clouds his judgment.

Dude, that's all you--I've don't think I've ever said anything about who I associate either of those albums with. You're the one that apparently associates them with somebody. I just think the Pharcyde record is annoyingly corny. But if it brings you back to the formative keggers of your youth then, by all means, don't let me deny you the pleasure.

I am willing to bet you've danced in place and nodded your head to "Runnin" at multiple frat parties.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    The new Busta Rhymes single Don't Touch Me is killing it

This dude Mecca Don has a single out that's hot, called You Know The Mecca Don

no time to read the whole thread so if these are brought up already, you'll be okay.

the busta is dope as hell and that mekka don is nice too.

other new shiz i'm feeling:
    edreys
    the kidz in the hall
    arophat
    dyme def

and my supervisor just said, "seriously, go home if you want to."

peace!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

they're all good, but I consider this his best album.

ooooooooooooooooooo HELL NO TRAP MUZIK is T.I's best.
    Around here thats what every ATL head will tell you. Trap Muzik is a classic in the A. That album right there was too mainstream. Nelly on there , Lil Kim, too many outside artist. When it is just Grand Hustle & PSC Clique shit is way better.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

peace!

same. I'm out of here. good weekend to all.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

they're all good, but I consider this his best album.

ooooooooooooooooooo HELL NO TRAP MUZIK is T.I's best.
    Around here thats what every ATL head will tell you. Trap Muzik is a classic in the A. That album right there was too mainstream. Nelly on there , Lil Kim, too many outside artist. When it is just Grand Hustle & PSC Clique shit is way better.

I can totally respect that. And the guest shots are definitely the weakest links on Urban Legend. Both albums are great.

• Gulity Simpson Ni&*&

really? I wasn't real impressed with the single (the one with the video). I suppose with Dilla's beats the album can't be all bad, but rap-wise are you feeling this cat?

shit is garbage. another crap release from stonesthrow.

i've been messing with Black Spade "To Serve With Love". and a demo from these young 19 yeard olds who I think are real dope (No Wheeler-Berkeley fetish-o).

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Labcabin is ehh, but Bizzare Ride is cool. I blame Dilla. He ruined Tribe, too.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Trap Muzik

Claasik material.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    good rapps.

i'm not arguing about this.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    royce da 59" "bar exam"
    devin the dude "smoking sessions"
    nas and statik selektah "the prophecy vol.2"
    freeway (both albums, plus a mix of guest spots)
    copywright "the jerk vol.0"

peace,x

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    AZ - Undeniable.
    XD

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Kings Of Swing - Stop Jockin' James
    Too Kool Posse - Give Em' A Sample
    Education Wrap
    Blaq Prince - Contakt

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    that blu and exile album has been getting steady play.
    lot of Big L and some DITC.
    Freeways new album is cool.
    Been kind of digging Kero One and Plug Label stuff.
    I dont know who is up on Cyne but hes pretty good, check for him if you like chill indie shit.
    Some of that older MED stuff has been getting some play like "Place Your Bets" and some of the other madlib beats hes on.

Thats most of the stuff thats been on rotation in the ipod. Ive been moving so Im not really checking for shit at the moment.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I'm feeelin' AZ stuff
    I've heard a few tracks from the "N" word album NAs is putting out. From what I;ve heard is

• that blu and exile album has been getting steady play.
    I dont know who is up on Cyne but hes pretty good, check for him if you like chill indie shit.
    Some of that older MED stuff has been getting some play like "Place Your Bets" and some of the other madlib beats hes on.

Thats most of the stuff thats been on rotation in the ipod. Ive been moving so Im not really checking for shit at the moment.

I thought Cyne was a crew? I have one of their records on P-Vine (I think). Very underrated.

I kinda missed out on DITC/Big L, outside of the Diamond D record and Show and AG. What cuts/albums should I check for?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    that blu and exile album has been getting steady play.

I thought Cyne was a crew? I have one of their records on P-Vine (I think). Very underrated.

I kinda missed out on DITC/Big L, outside of the Diamond D record and Show and AG. What cuts/albums should I check for?

Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

ahh shit your right. anyways I really dig the tracks.
    "growing" is really good. I love the beat. Its up on their myspace.
    http://www.myspace.com/cyne

as for big L, lifestylez is great but the big picture is pretty solid also. Pick up both. If you can find his old freestyles though, thats where its at. The Jay-Z one is still one of my favorite freestyles ever.

• i dont listen to new stuff anymore xcept the big rappers like nas , game , busta etc , most of the indy shit is bad (meanin BAD) , ive been listenin to alot of stuff that i grew up with like ...

geto boys "s/t" the one on with fuck em
    god father don "hazardous" classic material
    lakim shabbazz "pure righteousness" ditto

• at. The Jay-Z one is still one of my favorite freestyles ever.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• www.botanicadeljibaro.com check for seven star, ''excellent with tha word play''

• i've also been bumping this new j-live sing with pos from de la and oddisee on the beat, shit is dope (!?!??!?!?!??!!). The production really stands out and it brings back memories of why dudes where even messing with J-Live to begin with.

I also remember it because it was the only good thing Spine has posted in a long time. those dudes post-up the most boringest rap shit ever.

• I found the following song to be excellent:

8 Ball & MJG - Get Yo Ass Up

and a honorable mention to Prodigy - Real Power Is People, for that part about illuminati pedophiliacs raping children to take their energy and then burning pentagrams.