african scream contest

hungovermulattohungovermulatto 168 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
apologies if this got posted, but i just got back from a month on the appalachian trail...damn nice selection.http://analogafrica.blogspot.com/frank have anything to do with this?

Comments

• just got my copy in the mail today.

between this, the new Nigeria 70 on strut, and the 2 new Soundway joints, I'm feel a lil bit inundated by the afro-funk.

I'm not complaining though.

• I also just got it today. I only know a few tunes on there. Linernotes, flicks and booklet looks amazing.

With the stuff Frank is digging up I guess he could have been involved but as far as I know he's not. I think Samy from Analog Africa is repsonsible for it all pretty much.

Peace,

Dress

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the new Nigeria 70 on strut

this came out 7 years ago...is there a new one? I thought strut went out of business

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the new Nigeria 70 on strut

this came out 7 years ago...is there a new one? I thought strut went out of business

They seem to be back--this is billed as a sequel:

• How much does the first Nigeria 70 go for on vinyl?

Peace,

Dress

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    a c-note.

• Good news... Francis, did you ever find out anything about that afrobeat film?

The people wanna know.

Peace,

Dress

• that afrobeat film?

yeah what's the deal?

as for the new Nigeria 70 on strut. It's great, but much less focussed on dancefloor friendly material. About half of it is on the more traditional highlife/juju side. Great nonetheless. I was hoping for that other track by JINGO.

• Do you have a tracklist for the new Strut release?

Dress

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Don't know what Nigeria 70 goes for, but it won't go for much quite soon because I think it will be back in print. Not sure about that though.

Is this confirmed or just a rumor?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    african scream contest

without having looked at the tracklisting and with no disrespect to any involved....

this gets my vote for the absolutely worst title for a release ever.

look for the sequel: bantu grunt bonanza

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    african scream contest

without having looked at the tracklisting and with no disrespect to any involved....

Yes, the title is wilde suspect.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    african scream contest

i have to

i find it slightly offensive as a senegalese citizen

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    the final volume is called: PRIMITIVE OOGA BOOGA BREAKZ

• CLEARLY YOU DON'T KNOW A WHOLE LOT ABOUT GOOD AFRICAN BANDS. NOT A WHOLE LOT IN DEED

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the final volume is called: PRIMITIVE OOGA BOOGA BREAKZ

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    CLEARLY YOU DON'T KNOW A WHOLE LOT ABOUT GOOD AFRICAN BANDS. NOT A WHOLE LOT IN DEED

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T HEARD MY MIXTAPES WHICH ARE 95% REAL AFRIKKKAN MUZAK MADE BY 95% REAL AFRIKKAN MUZAKIANS.

STEVE BIKO BABY TEES FOR DAYZ.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    if you have concerns about the title, why don't you email samy and ask him? I'm sure he'd give you a straight up answer. Given the depth of his engagement with the people concerned and time he spent on the project, I suspect there is an actual reason i.e. a reference to something. Could be wrong of course.

we are clowning for the most part

but at first glance i am a bit offended...however i guess there must be a reason

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I took the title literally and was expecting just that.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    if you have concerns about the title, why don't you email samy and ask him? I'm sure he'd give you a straight up answer. Given the depth of his engagement with the people concerned and time he spent on the project, I suspect there is an actual reason i.e. a reference to something. Could be wrong of course.

could the reference possibly be to africanized James' Brown-esque grunts? Oh so funky shrieks in the name of the funk?

if you name your compilation something like African Scream Contest, it'd make sense to be prepared for some clowning. we're just having fun over here.

i don't particularly feel like emailing anyone about my opinions but they can feel free to contact me if they'd like to.

this has not upset my psyche in such a manner that i am ready to write petitions. just find the title incredibly corny.

now back to this crazy Coltrane comp i'm listening to called Afro Sax Appeal: Blow That Horny Horn[/b]

• The title is directly connected to the Track "Gbeti Madjro".
    Melome Clement (Chef d??Orchestre of Poly-Rythmo and big James Brown Fan - Like many in West Africa) composed it and had asked Lohento Eskill (Poly-Rythmo??s Lead Singer) to scream in between the lyrics during recording, and he did just that.

This tune became one of Benin??s most successful song (For various reasons) and as a consequence many bands in that country started Screaming on their recording, Melome explaining that bands started competing during festivals as who would scream best during live shows. Thats how I got the idea for the title.

As Reynaldo is saying you have to take the title literally....and maybe with a bit of humor more then anything.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Killer selection!

I had the same thoughts about the title being a bit unfortunate but as Samy explained, there's a valid context.

For the musical content alone plus for the fact that this is a legit release with the artists receiving very reasonable compensation, everyone should buy a copy of this record!

And no -I don't have anything to do with this release.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    who's distributing?

• I think Dusty has copies but Stones Throw has picked it up as far as I been told.

To me the title makes a lot sense when hearing the music.

Peace,

Dress