reggae art

frogmanfrogman 22 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
this is a longshotbut anybody on here have a contact, know of anybody, heard of anybody, who is making art/cartoons/covers in the hand drawn old school Jamaican style? Or really any island style? Im trying to contract somebody for album cover art for a dancehall project Im working on and would really LOVE to get something done in the Wilfred Limonious / Jamaal Pete style. As far as I know both of these fine artists have passed away. Any help or tips are much appreciated. I would post up some pics but Im having trouble and in a rush....ps: Ive also posted on some reggae boards, but I figured why not here too...here's links for the interested:http://djgreedyg.proboards77.com/index.cgi?board=music8&action=display&thread=9394http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=84036915

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    On a related topic, has there been any books published on the art by Limonious? I'd love to own something like that.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Dude from Outernational Records (used to do mail order lists, now he's prob on the bay) was discussing it with Limonious in the 90s. I think it only got as far as L drawing some custom 45 sleeves for him (I have a few, sorry no scanner).

• There's a reggae DJ here in Northern California named DJ Jacques:
    http://www.myspace.com/djjacques

Super nice guy and an excellent DJ. Here's the cover of one of his mix CDs:

And a flyer:

You should holler at him and ask him who did it.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Those are copies of record covers. Bottom one is a Phase One record, can't recall the top one.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Dude from Outernational Records (used to do mail order lists, now he's prob on the bay) was discussing it with Limonious in the 90s. I think it only got as far as L drawing some custom 45 sleeves for him (I have a few, sorry no scanner).

Charlie Morgan is his name. Think he's in Seattle or the Northwest somewhere.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have a couple of recent-ish King Culture LPs with the type of illustrations I think you're looking for - let me check the liner notes and get back to you.

• frogmanfrogman 22 Posts
    thanks for the quick replies people!
    yes those ones you posted ross are just record cover art... the top one is actually a conglomeration of Limonious stuff. And agreed, a Limonious book would be really sick! As for that link tomas, nice stuff but Im definitely looking for a more cartooney / humorous thing and a little less "refined"

anybody been in the carribean and seen the stuff they paint on a lot of the food shacks / barber shops / etc..? Just stuff like that would work too- damn its hard to find pics online..

Where are you located? If you have a Jamaican community in your city I bet you could find some folks who are familar and experienced in that illustration style. It's always good to support local artists and such, you know?...unless you were hoping to get a big name.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    "right near de beach."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And agreed, a Limonious book would be really sick!

On a related note, Martha Cooper's classic photography book R.I.P. Memorial Wall Art features work from the one Jamaal Peet, who had then recenetly emigrated to Brooklyn:

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    "right near de beach."

boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    My GF can paint like Jamaal Pete. She's white though :

• frogmanfrogman 22 Posts
    yeah I had heard Jamaal Peete was still around and ocassionally took work doing portraits and stuff up at Moodies in the Bronx... but then a quick search revealed that he passed this last January.

yes bassie, good idea to check the locals. I havent made a trip out to any of the shops in BK or BX in forever, so nows a good time. maybe they got some tips.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Charlie Morgan is his name. Think he's in Seattle or the Northwest somewhere.

Charlie is in Tacoma, nice guy, I've been bothering him for years trying to buy from him direct
    with no luck. He sells on Ebay under the name mackaman, you could contact him that way.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

Great covers, I wish I had some of the yellowman covers.

I checked those King Culture records and the artist has signed as Ashley, but there's no additional info on the cover. I will PM you the contact info I have for Culture.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

You should holler at him and ask him who did it.

The lower half of this is a rip of a Phase One compilation lp cover.