Wax poetics and moving to NY

2»

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    4,000 is an exaggeration, and a gross one at that. You can definitely swing a one bedroom for 2,000, but it's unneccesary. Studios will run you around 1,200-1,500 depending on where you want to be (if you're trying to be in Manhttan). My advice would be start working now on finding no fee apartments, or finding a share to move into. The real estate market is killer in New York. Shit is literally listed, and then spoken for within hours. If you go for a broker expect to pay AT LEAST one month's rent as a borkerage fee--add this to first (and possibly last months' rent) and security, and you're out anywhere from 3,000-6,000 dollars just to move into your spot.

Best bang for your buck as far as work is definitely waiting tables or bartending. In Manhattan you can easily make 50,000 a year as a server. I don't know specifics on bartending but I would guess that it's about 20% more than that. If you don't have experience as a server find someone in Cali who will lie for you.

This is all true. Waiting tables makes you hate people tho, especially actors....

LOL. So waiting tables in NYC will make you hate all your restaurant co-workers/ actors?

Actually I met some cool peoples while I was doing it, and I was working at some nice spots through a connect, so I was making decent bank working lunches and sat, doing school at night, so shit was pretty cool.

But the trade off of making money selling $23 hamburgers and shit is people think they'v earned the right to treat like you're not a human being. And some of the waiters (lifers), kitchen staff and mgmt in those spots are some of the most miserable people I've ever met. I definitely enjoyed the company of a couple hostesses and waitresses, but for real, I'll do anything other than ever wait tables again. My 2 cents....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Living in New York City will makes you hate people...

True. But u also get to meet & see a myriad of personalities. Such an advantage from living in anywhere America.

• Haha Thanks agian guys. 50 K to wait tables seems crazy but its Ny. ill definitely look into that. And Amir I will hit you up! thanks for replying.