Importing/exporting containers full of records

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone here have an import/export license for records or know how much it would cost to send a standard-size container filled from top to bottom with records to another country? I'm thinking it's gotta be in the neighborhood of $10,000 between the rental costs, shipping costs, and all the taxes/fees, but I really have no clue. I'm not enough to be asking for myself, but I know of someone who buys heavily picked-over records in bulk in the U.S. for the purpose of eventually filling a container and shipping overseas, where the records are then, believe it or not (I can barely believe it), sold at a profit. I'm just fascinated with the economics of this.

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    errrrrr if this was about transporting russian hookers inside containers, i could help you. but records should be a lot easier since you don't have to feed them.

my $0.02

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Everyone I know who does something similar says it's nothing but a nightmare. Customs, forms, $$$$, language barriers etc.

The best way to do it would be not actually have to deal directly with them - say if you could buy them, have the seller arrange shipping, and then arrange someone to buy them in another country. Kinda tedious, and I imagine it could be tricky. Otherwise you could deal with some kind of company who do it for a living. Your % wouldn't be as good, but it'd be easier.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Yeah, I figure it has to be a huge headache, and the money you have to put into it up front is pretty daunting, but the guy I know does it about every year and clearly still finds it worth the investment. Believe me when I tell you, too, that his containers are filled with the turdiest of turds. Nothing but flea market leftovers for days.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah, I figure it has to be a huge headache, and the money you have to put into it up front is pretty daunting, but the guy I know does it about every year and clearly still finds it worth the investment. Believe me when I tell you, too, that his containers are filled with the turdiest of turds. Nothing but flea market leftovers for days.

Many times I've been told that someone purchased all the records at a thrift or out of a dollar bin... its always so hard to believe considering the quality of most/all of what was purchased. But maybe this is that guy. Thats incredible that he can make a profit that actually justifies all that shit.

• A recordstore in Denmark bought out a whole library or whatever in the US and had it sent over in one of those huge containers. It was all classical. I might have been picked over before it was packed up and shipped for what I know. I think they sold off the records for 10 bucks the first week and then 5 and then... After that I guess Green Crates came into the picture unless they're still waiting for the pick-up.

I find it difficult to understand how anybody can make a profit from that.

Peace,

Dress

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    I have a friend who works in the freight forwarding business. He wants to know the origin and destination port.

I have a friend who works in the freight forwarding business. He wants to know the origin and destination port.

All I know is that it is going from the U.S. (east coast) to South Korea. I'm not sure about the specific ports.

Suspending my own disbelief, I have been able to come up with some crude estimates/scenarios that show how profitable it can be.

Let's say that a container does cost $10,000 after all fees, taxes, labor, etc.

If you fill it with, say, 50,000 records and are able to sell just 10% (5,000 records) at an average of $5 per record to American record-starved Koreans, you've at least doubled your money. I would imagine, though, given the level of investment involved, that this guy is at least trying to triple his money, which means he's either fitting more than 50,000 records in a container, selling a higher percent, or getting more than $5 per record.

• I have a friend who works in the freight forwarding business. He wants to know the origin and destination port.

All I know is that it is going from the U.S. (east coast) to South Korea. I'm not sure about the specific ports.

Suspending my own disbelief, I have been able to come up with some crude estimates/scenarios that show how profitable it can be.

If you fill it with, say, 50,000 records and are able to sell just 10% (5,000 records) at an average of $5 per record to American record-starved Koreans, you've at least doubled your money. I would imagine, though, given the level of investment involved, that this guy is at least trying to triple his money, which means he's either fitting more than 50,000 records in a container, selling a higher percent, or getting more than $5 per record.

So it doesn't cost anything for the overseas dealer to fly to and from America, pay for travel, motels, food, etc., actually buy the 50,000 records (even if it is picked through crap)?
    And that is completely ignoring the question of all the time and money involved selling the records in Korea or whatever.

• I mean shit, if people can make it work more power to them. It's about the last thing in the world I would ever want to get involved in though. Kind of reminds me of Kramer and Newman's scheme to bring deposits to Michigan.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

most likely Pusan.

and fo'real...the Korean community would eat up any record as long as it's old an American. i couldn't believe the price they were paying for nike's [and other hip US brands] out there, that are essentially made in their own backyard.

So it doesn't cost anything for the overseas dealer to fly to and from America, pay for travel, motels, food, etc., actually buy the 50,000 records (even if it is picked through crap)?
    And that is completely ignoring the question of all the time and money involved selling the records in Korea or whatever.

The exporter is just shipping to a contact who is buying wholesale in Korea, so, no, none of that travel stuff is a factor. Like I said, my estimates are based on total guess work on my part, and could be way off. I do have a general idea what the guy pays for records, though, and I doubt it comes to more than $5,000 for 50,000 records, which is why I say he would be doubling his $10,000 if he makes $25,000.

and fo'real...the Korean community would eat up any record as long as it's old an American

Exactly. This is why I wonder if the guy could be doing far better than I can even conceive.