Cratediggers.com ????? WTF??

Comments

• CR8DGRSCR8DGRS 76 Posts

Yeah!... Just because I live in Australia you won't pick up my records.

If I lived within 300 miles of you I would be glad to pick up your vinyl.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ... and why do you still have records? Don't you know CDs are where it's at these days?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Don't you know CDs DEADSTOCK GOLD FLAK FILES are where it's at these days?

This thread is really helping to waste time ona Thursday afternoon... and tomorrow is a public holiday.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    This thread is really helping to waste time ona Thursday afternoon... and tomorrow is a public holiday.

you're weird, it's wednesday night

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    --WOULD HIRE

but what 4?

Post a photo of your collection.

Whats that going to do? Your going to see a stack of vinyl I picked up from an old record store for pennies on the dollar.

You think what is on the site is junk? You should see the pile that isn't on the site - How do you think I came up with the recycle idea? When I found out what vinyl was made out of and how toxic it is to throw it out - which we have all been guilty of doing at one point. PVC is completely recyclable.

so you're not really a record collector? what are you? a dude with a marketing degree that thought he could tap into a niche market?

Welcome to the board. Tell us more about yourself.

What rap do you like? What are some of your fav. records that you own? Are you Pro-OBama? Do you make beats?

Thank you.

I like all types of Hip-Hop from the abstract avant gard to the old school, to some gangster, and just about everything in between. I'm open to just about everything.
    Favorite records - Freestyle Fellowshop Innercity Griots is my all time favorite. I would have to say I am most proud of Atmosphere - just watching them grow from Overcast! and even before that with the Bad Dubs to what they are today. That inspires me.

Pro-Obama - I feel he is our last hope, but then again I don't think it really matters who is sitting in the Oval office - but thats another topic.

I do not make beats, but I have dabbled in every element of Hip-Hop - starting with breakin'

Wanna fight about it!

so you're not really a record collector? what are you? a dude with a marketing degree that thought he could tap into a niche market?

I have been collecting records since 92'. I have records here in NY in storage, in Seattle in storage, and in LA in storage.

The records I have here - are in stacks from the store that was going out of business.

... and why do you still have records? Don't you know CDs are where it's at these days?

Never that.

and for the record I'm 27 so in 92 I was 11 getting into DJing.

Wanna fight about it!

hahahahaha, I know you're in Oz, I was funnin

I have dabbled in every element of Hip-Hop

SOLID GOLD LOC MATERIAL

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    It's an odd presentation, but I honestly don't see what's so bad about salvaging those First Family, Hap Palmer, etc. records into something that won't be more tons of landfill fodder and making money off it. My previous job installed a $9,000 machine that melts down styrofoam packing material. The hardened goop is then sold to rich artsy fartsy picture frame designers for a surprisingly good profit. On the other hand, I wonder how "eco" the process of melting down the records and
    re-pulping the carboard actually is and what the recycled material would be used for. And what about the screening process making sure the VG-- raers aren't thrown out with the cracked 101 strings LPs that look like they were used for stucco application? These are some kinks you may need to work out.

SOLID GOLD LOC MATERIAL

Never great at any of the elements, but love the culture so much that I just wanted to try each to have a better understanding of it.

Never that.

My moms got me my first set of decks at the age of 4 and by 11 I'd already competed in 2 DMCs.

Also, I have records in storage in ym bedroom and in my cupboard. Also 3 45s are in the fridge.

It's an odd presentation, but I honestly don't see what's so bad about salvaging those First Family, Hap Palmer, etc. records into something that won't be more tons of landfill fodder and making money off it. My previous job installed a $9,000 machine that melts down styrofoam packing material. The hardened goop is then sold to rich artsy fartsy picture frame designers for a surprisingly good profit. On the other hand, I wonder how "eco" the process of melting down the records and
    re-pulping the carboard actually is and what the recycled material would be used for. And what about the screening process making sure the VG-- raers aren't thrown out with the cracked 101 strings LPs that look like they were used for stucco application? These are some kinks you may need to work out.

You can not melt vinyl - the fumes are very toxic, and it's actually illegal to do independently.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    some quick ideas

-get rid of the flash layout
    -change the front page layout
    -get rid of the intro. sounds like youre pitching to an investor or something on there instead of just talking to your target market.. people wont take your site seriously with that intro
    -explain how someone would go about recycling their vinyl on the green cr8
    -fix emails on your sites
    -fix broken links on your sites
    -stop advertising for your homeboys on your site.. gives your site less credibility to me
    -the name "crate diggers" doesnt sit right to me. maybe it alienates the older market or larger dealers who sell vinyl records and don't really "dig in a crate".. might see it as childish and not even consider selling their records through your site

- We will be creating a non flash version for phones and slower computers to utilize. The flash works great if you give it a chance. Try full screen mode.

- I am up for suggestions as far as page layout to make it more user friendly. I chose to model it after Windows thinking people would automatically feel comfortable with it.

- The intro wont be up much longer - the only negative response on that has been from you folks.

- I will make a better explanation for the recycling.

- Emails should be fixed as well as links

- The homeboys got the free ads until I generate enough momentum to target the big boys.

- There is no budging on the name - I have talked with many older dealers, who have all seamed to like it, and were already familiar with the term.

fair enough...

a couple questions for you just out of my own curiosity:

-mind giving a brief background on your history and what types of companies you've worked for? educational background?

-whered you get the money to start your site and keep it running?

-who did the programming for your site? how'd you find them?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Holy shit.

My moms got me my first set of decks at the age of 4 and by 11 I'd already competed in 2 DMCs.

Also, I have records in storage in ym bedroom and in my cupboard. Also 3 45s are in the fridge.

Good man.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

You can not melt vinyl - the fumes are very toxic

This must be why people pass out when I cut and scratch.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Never that.

A-Trak???Is it you?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    So after NJ/NY, LA, you moved to VA?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

CR8DGRS, welcome to the forum, but please take a minute
    to stop by and register with our INTRODUCTION THREAD

fair enough...

a couple questions for you just out of my own curiosity:

-mind giving a brief background on your history and what types of companies you've worked for? educational background?

-whered you get the money to start your site and keep it running?

-who did the programming for your site? how'd you find them?

Went to school in Seattle for Audio Production - moved to LA and parked cars at the Beverly Hills Hotel met a bunch of stars and all that - worked at a record a label. Got sick of the smog - moved back to Syracuse to help my dads company who had the connect to the web guy. I also started doing the distribution for my friends publishing company.

All the money for the site is money I earned working. I am solo behind CrateDiggers on the business end, besides the freelance web guy named Ed.

Anything else you would like to know?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anything else you would like to know?

WAR VS. MANDRILL

OFF THE WALL VS. THRILLER

LETS GET IT ON VS. WHATS GOIN ON

SHAFT VS SUPERFLY

HALL VS. OATES

Well, I'm stumped.

I can't tell if he's the real thing or not.

I'm turning in my badge.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Well, I'm stumped.

I can't tell if he's the real thing or not.

I'm turning in my badge.

I say yes... otherwise someone should just check his IP address.

Mandril
    Thriller
    Lets get it on
    Superfly
    Hall & Oates as one