fatback band appreciation post

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Does this even need an explanation? All the LPs on perception can't be fucked with...

Comments

• All the LPs on perception can't be fucked with...

[office space quote]i celebrate their whole catalog[/office space quote]

• All the LPs on perception can't be fucked with...

lol i love that line

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was listening to Show Bizness the other day, and I was like "Self, damn that bassline is fresh. Where it from?"

Fatback Band

Say wird...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Does this even need an explanation? All the LPs on perception can't be fucked with...

dude, you're fucking up if you don't have "YUM YUM" up there.
    Let the drummers speak" is a great piece of music.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    "Put your love....in my tender care. Ga' head and put it now." I think of this joint every time I hear that 45 King track on "Master of the Game" LP ("Rock it Slow") that rocks that wah-wah guitar line and horn blasts from the intro. Dope!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    (...got no more words, but the song is such a groove.")
    -----------------/-----------------------------------

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Lambert,

Here it is, "Rock it Slow"-45 King (around 92 bpms), verbal style.

Kick/Snare: Boomp, kak, boomp, boomp, boomp, kak (repeat 4 times).
    Hi-hat: Tit-tit-tit-tit-tit-tit-tit-tit (repeat 4 times)
    Guitar: Woun, oun, woun, waa-aaa, oun, woun, oun (repeat 4 times).
    Horns: Baan aaan (every 4 bars).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hey Lambert,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Stacks, how does that woman go on the Put Your Love/Pure Righteousness 1 bar loop?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Hey Lambert,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"Can You Feeeeeeeel It?"

Oh I can feel it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

How much should one expect to pay for original copies of each of these records in NM condition on eBay (or a comparably priced store)?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

How much should one expect to pay for original copies of each of these records in NM condition on eBay (or a comparably priced store)?

They used to be everywhere, I'm told. But harder to find now than their more popular "raising hell" and so on.

I paid $40 for a super clean US OG copy of "let's do it again" last weekend, which was a little high. I probably wouldn't have paid that much but it was right in my face and completed my fatback perception collection. You could probably do better online if you're patient. Anything less than 20 would be a steal.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    All the LPs on perception can't be fucked with...

like most funk bands, they got kinda lame after 1975, so celebrating their whole catalog is gonna be hard to do!

did you know that organist reuben wilson was a member at one point? (i think he's on the NYCNYUSA elpee, but i'm not sure)

• "People Music" was one of the first funk records I ever bought and is still one of my favorites.

I love that little Johnny King dude. He's kind of like the Gary Coleman of funk.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ----------- thanks

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    backstrokin' exists. why ignore it?

you also know it is a catchy musical milestone.

kool and the gang's 'celebrate' made me a joyful little kid, but that is a whole other topic of discussion.

peace be with you.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    anybody have an extra copy?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Backstrokin is better than anything they cut on Perception.

As Perception goes, it's People Music. Great album. The other two LPs, IMO, are overpriced bullshit.

IMO IMO IMO

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

tanks for saving me $700

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I found a box full of their 45s a while back, including doubles of Gotta Laern How To Dance.

Anyone haerd Cut Chemist switching these up on Rare Equations? Damn its fun to do.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

tanks for saving me $700

UN FUCK WITH ABLE

Thou doth sayeth

Yo i'm not playing,that shit is the sure shot party rockin'est jammy jam.

'Let's all get together ,peace,love, not war"

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    There's a radio show on a local station here called, appropriately enough, The Funk Show, that had a 3 hr interview w/ founder/drummer Bill Curtis. He went through the whole history of him and the band including recounting performances in Durham (he's actually from Fayetteville, about an hour away), how much of a jerk Arthur Prysock is, and how his idea for "country funk" (even though he didn't know what that was) got him signed to Perception. I need to start taping that show.

Question: why does my "Goin to See My Baby" 45 say Fatback Brother Bill Curtis instead of the band? The B side to that is nastiness...forget the title though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i'll fess up: there's more filler on this album than a ballpark frank, but "goin' to see my baby" and "street dance" are worth the price of the whole lp. those basslines kick off, and after that the whole band is off to the races!

as far as the event recordings...i only have the "wicki wacki" and "(are you ready)do the bus stop" singles, but those are cool too, ESPECIALLY "wicki wacki," which sounds like a perception outtake.

gets kinda shady starting in 1976...i'm sure others will burn up the computer defending "i like girls," but this is where i get off the fatback train.

• vibravibra 5 Posts
    They're playing at The Big Chill festival in the UK this year. http://www.bigchill.net/story.html?id=1136

Anyone seen them live? I'm looking forward to seeing them..

Let the drums speak.

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

It might as well be a whole different band, but Is This The Future[/b] is definitely a pleasure. Maybe more for the moder soul/electro set, but still. The moog bass and that newscaster guy on the title cut is killing it.