favorite versions of Sunny?

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
didn't see this covered during the "favorite versions of..." days... if i missed it, just drop the link and we'll close this thread.I like this live James Brown version, but haven't been able to get a nice recording of it.anybody got an uptempo funk or latin rock version?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yambu's version is fairly well-known on the Latin disco/funk tip:

http://www.zshare.net/download/86924852251543/

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DICK SMITH!!!!!!!!!! Produced by Roger Troutman in 1983 on Warner Bros. Str8 Modern Soul/G-Funk. Act like you know....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm partial to the understated grace of the OG. But this was covered here ...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    DICK SMITH!!!!!!!!!! Produced by Roger Troutman in 1983 on Warner Bros. Str8 Modern Soul/G-Funk. Act like you know....

haha! love this thing. this is modern soul? i'll pretend it isnt.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm partial to the understated grace of the OG.

Yep - It's my favourite one.

Then Dee Felice Trio/JB and the Les McCann versions.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I'm partial to the understated grace of the OG. But this was covered here ...
    doh! it was the ''s that threw off my search. thanks.
    [/endthread]

Mordecai,
    I only found it cause i had it bookmarked, one of my favorite tracks of all time, and one of the first soul songs that really got me into this music.

Anyway,

Can anyone up this, i cant even get my brain around what a version produced by Mr. Troutman would sound like.....

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Anyway,

Can anyone up this, i cant even get my brain around what a version produced by Mr. Troutman would sound like.....

It's great! Sounds just like a ZAPP joint. I'll post the MP3 when I get home tonight.

give me about a half an hour and i'll do it.

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    didn't see this covered during the "favorite versions of..." days... if i missed it, just drop the link and we'll close this thread.

I like this live James Brown version, but haven't been able to get a nice recording of it.
    anybody got an uptempo funk or latin rock version?

Brown never recorded a version of "Sunny" in this arrangement - which is a shame. He only recorded it once with the Dee Felice Trio and Marva Whitney for Marva's "I Sing Soul" album, which got shelved. Then it was supposed to appear on Marva's "It's my thing" album, but got scratched again (although it's still listed on the song index). It then ended up on Brown's own "Gettin' down to it" album.

Latin version? Try Bobby Hackett's and Billy Butterfield's version on their album "Bobby/Billy/Barsil" on Verve - that one is pretty smooth.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    MGs version a/k/a "1-800-Suicide"

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Latin version?

I guess it's on the other, more expensive Ray LP too but this one will have to tide me over for the time being.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

dick smith version

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    kay dennis

pat martino

eli goulart e banda do mato

james brown & dee felice trio

Good lookin out Shig, thx....

yeah, its one of those things where youre like "hmm i wonder what a troutman produced "sunny" track would sound like." and then you hear it and its like "yup. exactly what i thought!"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The only "Sunny" that popped into my head was Willie Bobo's version on Feelin' Good. Is this the same one yall are talking about? If so, I like that one.

• That JB cover is a great find!

and i agree with most folks here. the original is my favorite

• and i agree with most folks here. the original is my favorite

yap.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    edited my post, upped the jb one mordecai asked for.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    For some reason I got a version of Akira Ishikawa in my head.

Others

Brother Jack McDuff & David Newman
    CONJUNTO SERGIO CARVALHO
    Johnny Colon
    Booker T
    Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers
    Jose Feliciano
    Rufus Harley!!!! HA!

Fav is probably the Marva Whitney version. I always put on the Soul Brother copy of the import CD just to hear that one track.

Tho, I do the the Yambu version.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    sunny was my wedding song. there a re a lot of brazilian versions. My favorite is the instrumental by sergio carvalho.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, I don't usually like rap, but there was something about those Gravediggaz guys....

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    For some reason I got a version of Akira Ishikawa in my head.

Others

Brother Jack McDuff & David Newman
    CONJUNTO SERGIO CARVALHO
    Johnny Colon
    Booker T
    Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers
    Jose Feliciano
    Rufus Harley!!!! HA!

Fav is probably the Marva Whitney version. I always put on the Soul Brother copy of the import CD just to hear that one track.

Tho, I do the the Yambu version.

Yes to all of those, I even like the bagpipes. George Benson does a killer version on Giblet Gravy. There's a kooky Dave Pike take that I like. Ray and His Court, too. Fave is probably Marva or the original.

Anyone got Bobby Hebb's "Sunny '76" as an MP3?

• EkiMEkiM 40 Posts
    Super Group Electrecord - Sunny (romanian version)

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Marius Cultier

• djrdjr 511 Posts

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    not my favourite, but a nice one: erik sumo