Jazz 45's

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Prestige 45's to be exactany choice ones? i stumbled upon quite a few but without a portable and the knowledge i am kinda flabbergastedany help would be appreciated....-me

Comments

• Prestige 45's to be exact

any choice ones? i stumbled upon quite a few but without a portable and the knowledge i am kinda flabbergasted

any help would be appreciated....

-me

Huh? Any choice ones?

Many, many choice Prestige, Blue Note and other jazz 45s, unless you're among the soul jazz hatters herein. With Prestige you're mainly looking for the blue on blue label and some of the green label, but you're going to have to do some research (or narrow down your question). Good rule of thumb is, if you're looking for funky stuff stick with dates from the mid-60's to early 70's, i.e. Charles Earland, Don Patterson, Rusty Bryant, Freddie McCoy, but there are a whole lot of others.

With Blue Note look for the same kind of stuff, same era, organ/guitar combos, some on the blue/white label, some on the black/blue Liberty era label.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    uh

eddie jefferson - p$ychodelic $ally

idris muhammed - superbad

johnny hammond - soul talk

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    ahhhhh

thanks for the info. i will see whatsup with that stuff. i will let you know what i come across . i am a soul jazz fan but at the same time i dont dig thru 45's too often and am a fan but not really a huge lover of old old old jazz that might be contained within Prestiges boundaries? make a lil sense?

• ahhhhh

thanks for the info. i will see whatsup with that stuff. i will let you know what i come across . i am a soul jazz fan but at the same time i dont dig thru 45's too often and am a fan but not really a huge lover of old old old jazz that might be contained within Prestiges boundaries? make a lil sense?

If you stay away from the older Prestige 45s (the one without the multi-arrow logo) you'l avoid most of the "straight" jazz. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of lame blue label sides, just that the funkier sounds are pretty much restricted to the 45s with the later designs.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The "jazz elite" might not want them, but they are interesting because for the most part, it was the label trying to use the 45 was a way to sell the album. That's nothing different from any other genre, but sometimes it's interesting to hear 2:50-3:30 edits of songs that are 10+ minutes. From what someone told me on another board, labels wanted them in jukeboxes but also made an attempt to push them on pop radio. But as The Beatles and Motown began to dominate the charts, radio stations started playing less jazz, which is why you rarely hear it (if at all) on oldies radio stations. This is why you have a generation or two who think Steely Dan are jazz.

Some of the mixes and edits from the late 60's/early 70's are interesting. The 45 for Rusty Bryant's "Fire-Eater" has a mix that's "narrow stereo" or close to mono, as the album mix had some instruments panned almost to the extreme left or right. It seems Prestige probably had hoped for the song to be some funky or cool instrumental that would catch the interest of the public (which it didn't).

It's also interesting to note that while labels would not make the full switch over from mono to stereo until 1969, there are a few World Pacific 45's from the early 60's that feature the same stereo mixes as heard on the album. I would think they were one of the few labels who released stereo 45's that early, as Columbia, Atlantic, Warner Bros., and Blue Note (all of whom released a lot of jazz 45's throughout the 60's) all followed the mono pattern until 1969/1970. Mono would only be used on promo 45's sent out to AM radio stations.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ahhhhh

If you stay away from the older Prestige 45s (the one without the multi-arrow logo) you'l avoid most of the "straight" jazz. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of lame blue label sides, just that the funkier sounds are pretty much restricted to the 45s with the later designs.

In other words, if the label color is maroon, instead of blue or green, then chances are it won't be funky.

• ahhhhh

In other words, if the label color is maroon, instead of blue or green, then chances are it won't be funky.

Not in the accepted Soulstrut definition...

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    ahhhhh

Also, don't fully ignore the white labels either, thinking of Jimmy Witherspoon's "Love Me Right" among others. I mean, I'm probably with Larry inasmuch as I'm guessing neither of us would leave any trace of 'em at the source if the price was right. But I also don't know what appeals ot you.

• ahhhhh

Also, don't fully ignore the white labels either, thinking of Jimmy Witherspoon's "Love Me Right" among others. I mean, I'm probably with Larry inasmuch as I'm guessing neither of us would leave any trace of 'em at the source if the price was right. But I also don't know what appeals ot you.

Hey B****!
    I was hoping you'd chime in. Agent45 is your man when it comes to Prestige sides. I concur that I wouldn't leave much behind were I to find a stash. I have plenty of red and white label (mostly organ sides like Shirley Scott and Larry Young) 45s, and even straight jazz stuff, mainly because I love that sound. But if you're looking strictly for the funk, buyer beware.

ahhhhh

Yeah, I don't mean the maroon Prestiges are BAD, it's just that if you're funk-focused, those records might be too early for that genre.

Also, don't fully ignore the white labels either, thinking of Jimmy Witherspoon's "Love Me Right" among others.

And Jimmy Roach's "Fly In The Buttermilk," which was actually straight soul (albeit a bit of a poppish novelty record - not Prestige's normal thing!).

Yeah, I didn't mention the white labels, 'cause I was subconsciously thinking those were promotional copies. I do have the Jimmy Witherspoon record; I think it's from '65, and off an album he did called Spoon In London. "Love Me Right" was a rare attempt to get him in a pop-soul bag, and it actually works!

Hey, B****, how's it going in Atlanta!!!

• In other words, if the label color is maroon, instead of blue or green, then chances are it won't be funky.

Yeah, I don't mean the maroon Prestiges are BAD, it's just that if you're funk-focused, those records might be too early for that genre.

Oh, I know you[/b] know that, but I wasn't taking anything for granted. I don't have any but I'd assume there are probably a fair amount of blues (esp folk blues) 45s on Prestige as well.

Oh, I know you[/b] know that, but I wasn't taking anything for granted. I don't have any but I'd assume there are probably a fair amount of blues (esp folk blues) 45s on Prestige as well.

Yeah, I've seen a surprising amount of Lightnin' Hopkins singles on Prestige Bluesville.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    For me, almost any Prestige 45 is at least worth a listen, regardless of label color. I love their 50s/60s modern/soul jazz stuff so I'll def check out maroon label stuff, the light blue label ones & any of the white labels that go with either of those designs. I'm a little less likely to bother with the later green ones, but there's probably more "funky" stuff on that label.

Slightly related, anyone know about those stereo 33rpm 7"s of Jazz recordings (mini LPs, with a small spindle hole)? Did Prestige ever mess with that format, or was it just Jazzland/Riverside? Did they come with picture covers?

• For me, almost any Prestige 45 is at least worth a listen, regardless of label color. I love their 50s/60s modern/soul jazz stuff so I'll def check out maroon label stuff, the light blue label ones & any of the white labels that go with either of those designs. I'm a little less likely to bother with the later green ones, but there's probably more "funky" stuff on that label.

Slightly related, anyone know about those stereo 33rpm 7"s of Jazz recordings (mini LPs, with a small spindle hole)? Did Prestige ever mess with that format, or was it just Jazzland/Riverside? Did they come with picture covers?

Most of those 7" mini-LPs are jukebox records. I've seen them on Blue Note, Solid State and other labels.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Prestige also had a gold label, although I only have a few 45s that feature this color.

But, as already stated, some quality 45s on this label, and I still need a 'Psychedelic Sally'. Could also use an upgrade on 'Filthy McNasty'.......