BRISTOL : What??s what???

doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
The mad cap sprint through Europe continues... so far we??ve spent close to 50 hours either in the air, on buses or trains and have played a grand total of 50 mins of music - albeit to 6,000 up for it French people in a tent in the country. Nice.Anyway, got a gig tonight in Portugal... with Carl Craig no less. Should be interesting. Then get a couple of nights in Bristol, where I??ve never been before.So.... recommendations for decent record stores (funk / soul / jazz 45s & lps) and good eats (thai, japanese, italian) ... after 3 days in France I need something other than tasty bread. Appreciate any tips y??ll got

Comments

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    ask "pencilface" on the board!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yes, ask Pencilface...or get onto the verygoodplus (Vinyl Vulture) board and post there. A few other Bristolians on there, too.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I'm from Bristol, it's a nice city...
    For record stores check Gloucester Road, there are a bunch of buses that go there from the center of town. When you're there go into the basement of a vintage clothes shop called "Repsycho" and you'll find "Prime Cuts" records, it's not the cheapest place but some good stuff pops up from time to time. Further down this road you'll find Plastic Wax records, which is basically full of ??1, ??2, ??5 etc... bins with some other stuff around the edge, and on saturdays they bring out some more 45s, worth checking but i'm not a massive fan. There's also one called PK Music, with some stuff upstairs, but that's not amazing either. There are also a lot of charity/thrift stores round here. There's also one in the Whiteladies road area near Clifton Down Shopping cente, turn down the side street by Dominos Pizza and bear left and you'll find it. There's another one, called Rubber Soul, but it might be a bit out the way for you, and the other places all require a bit of digging with the strong possibility you'll find nothing so i'll leave those.

For Thai check out:
    Budokan
    31, Colston Street
    City Centre
    Bristol
    BS1 5AH

Japanese:
    Obento Japanese Restaurant
    69 Baldwin Street
    Bristol
    BS1 1QZ

Italian:
    SAN CARLO
    44 Corn St, BS1 1HQ
    Tel: 0117 922 6586, fax: 0117 922 6610

PIZZA PROVENCALE
    29 Regent St, Clifton, BS8 4HR
    Tel: 0117 974 1175

• el sprako has given you the rundown --- Bristol's not that great for record shopping these days.

heading to plastic wax on a saturday is probably your best bet. you can find fun stuff for cheap there in the week aswell - but i've never pulled anything super rare or whatnot.

oh - and 'rubber soul' up in Old Market is no more. closed down a few months ago, unfortunately.

if you've got time to spare i'd def get a train/drive to Frome ( maybe 45 mins in the car?) -- there's a 3 storey shop there that i'm told is chock a block with stuff and very unorganised / cheap (diggers paradise, basically) ... but i've yet to head over there. if you go i dont think the shop would be too hard to find - it's called "raves from the grave"

on the food front - go to "oh Calcutta" which is a few shops down from Plastic wax (by the arches) for a very tasty curry.

you playing some gigs in Bristol or what - what names should i be looking out for on flyers?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you're coming to England you might as well try some English food. I would recomend Pieminister

Details, phone numbers, opening times, ect of Bristols records shops can be found here.

• yeah, shit -- how could i forget pieminister .... a bristol institution. nicest pies in the world!!!

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    If you're coming to England you might as well try some English food.

Lived in the Uk for 7 years until 2003... def know there are plenty good english restaurants etc... just been in France for 3 days then Portuagal for 2, so Im full of bread, cheese and hams. Need some helth biz the get through the next week or so.

Cheers for the tips.

Playing with Fat Freddys Drop at Bristol Academy tomorrow night... soul, dub sort of mash up with killer hathaway sounding vocalist.

Shot

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you're coming to England you might as well try some English food.

Lived in the Uk for 7 years until 2003... def know there are plenty good english restaurants etc... just been in France for 3 days then Portuagal for 2, so Im full of bread, cheese and hams. Need some helth biz the get through the next week or so.

Cheers for the tips.

Playing with Fat Freddys Drop at Bristol Academy tomorrow night... soul, dub sort of mash up with killer hathaway sounding vocalist.

Shot

Thought with you being from NZ you'd probably be familiar. But this being soulstrut..
    Seeing as you're coming all this way, thought we should at least, offer you something local.

Good luck with show.