Eddie Kendricks Question (Disco Related)

2»

Comments

• you also gotta remember yr talking about a largely gay audience and obviously what lots of ppl perceive as 'cheese' is very much a cultural thing there. nb showtunes. so when dudes are all 'i only like REAL DISCO not that cheesy shit' its kinda bullshit. the cheesy shit is the real shit. or they are wrapped up together forever

now we getting into a whole 'nother thing man.

But I always wonder if homo-phobic dudes ride for disco and house or if racists ride for Asian & Mexican cuisine.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I remember being interested in early Cameo due to hearing that band Orgone do a cover of one of their songs in their shows.

CODPIECE VALIDATED!

lol

'"YMCA" is pretty dope, love how shadow sampled that instrumental part of the outro'

• I remember being interested in early Cameo due to hearing that band Orgone do a cover of one of their songs in their shows.

CODPIECE VALIDATED!

YOUR BOY FROM JUNGLE BROS. IS STRAIGHT-UP SWAGGER JACKING DUDE.

this music was pre-codpiece btw.

• I am homophonic and I do not ride for disco. But these are unrelated afflictions.

• I am homophonic and I do not ride for disco. But these are unrelated afflictions.

Nozinski stays baitin'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    masturbaitin

i assume noz just gets confused when a song plays without rappers

• Damn son, you'd think you could at least spell my name right, given our history.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you also gotta remember yr talking about a largely gay audience and obviously what lots of ppl perceive as 'cheese' is very much a cultural thing there. nb showtunes. so when dudes are all 'i only like REAL DISCO not that cheesy shit' its kinda bullshit. the cheesy shit is the real shit. or they are wrapped up together forever

I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're just abusing the term "cheesy" or if you really don't appreciate this stuff... to me cheesy=cornball, I do not ascribe the term cornball to good disco (and to me label, strings/no strings, etc is beside the point - its either good disco or not good disco)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    masturbaitin

i assume noz just gets confused when a song plays without rappers
    that wasn't released on Warp

• Deej: you forgot to mention how I said that female rappers don't rap well two years ago.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you also gotta remember yr talking about a largely gay audience and obviously what lots of ppl perceive as 'cheese' is very much a cultural thing there. nb showtunes. so when dudes are all 'i only like REAL DISCO not that cheesy shit' its kinda bullshit. the cheesy shit is the real shit. or they are wrapped up together forever

I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're just abusing the term "cheesy" or if you really don't appreciate this stuff... to me cheesy=cornball, I do not ascribe the term cornball to good disco (and to me label, strings/no strings, etc is beside the point - its either good disco or not good disco)
    i like to think that giving cheese more meaning than 'bad' makes it a more useful term for discussion

i dont think 'take me home' is bad. but i can understand why someone would call it 'cheesy.' maybe i would use a different word in different company. like over the top, or campy, or ... i dont know. 'cheesy' seems pretty fitting. but i like the song anyway.

• damn...let's argue "Cheese" vs. "Cornball"

and who thinks strings=shitty disco?

trippin'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Deej: you forgot to mention how I said that female rappers don't rap well two years ago.
    we're not THAT old. you're just coming up on the one year anniversary this week actually
    http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=9506

• I should've marked my calender. Good thing you had it bookmarked.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    damn...let's argue "Cheese" vs. "Cornball"

trippin'

Yeah, i gotta agree that a lot of good disco (read: disco i think is good) does ride pretty close to cheesey, even if it isn't over-the-top cheesey.

And the string thing: I mean, if I had to apply a rule, I'd say strings often add to the cheese factor, but there are also some amazing disco cuts that have strings in them that just wouldn't be the same without them.

trippin'

Somehow you've managed to ignore the legions of "beatheads" on the forum registering this complaint for years now...

• and who thinks strings=shitty disco?

trippin'

Somehow you've managed to ignore the legions of "beatheads" on the forum registering this complaint for years now...

I imagine a lot of these "beathead" dudes have loads of crappy records and MPC disks filled with strings. The only difference they're probally "moody" and are like like 88 BPM as opposed to 110-130 BPM.

• In all seriousness: what does it say that I love all the proto-disco mentioned in this thread but have never been wowed by very much actuo-disco? I mean other than the fact that I am a raging hormophobite.

I think my first ever soulstrut argument stemmed from Johnny Broccoli chastising me for not properly appreciating "Atmosphere Strut."

trippin'

I imagine a lot of these "beathead" dudes have loads of crappy records and MPC disks filled with strings. The only difference they're probally "moody" and are like like 88 BPM as opposed to 110-130 BPM.

hahahha...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    In all seriousness: what does it say that I love all the proto-disco mentioned in this thread but have never been wowed by very much actuo-disco? I mean other than the fact that I am a raging hormophobite.

I think my first ever soulstrut argument stemmed from Johnny Broccoli chastising me for not properly appreciating "Atmosphere Strut."
    "gangstas dont dance"?

my thing w/ disco was basically related to 1. before i turned 21, chicago started doing these free all ages parties in grant park w/ classic chicago house DJs spinning house and disco every wednesday in the summer from 6pm to 9pm, and the place would get PACKED w/ people of all ages, incredible experience dancing w/ lake michigan on one side and the city skyline on the other to frankie knuckles, steve silk hurley, green velvet from light to dusk to dark

2. larry levan's 'live at the paradise garage' 2 disc set

3. chicago still plays disco on a gang of different stations and always has - our adult R&B station, 100.3 'lovefm' has djs spinning on saturday nights, even the "sound of the streets" power 92 has boolumaster spinning green velvet, natalie cole house remixes and disco during his 5pm mix shows.

4. a couple books were published in the last couple years and i read them ... love saves the day, turn the beat around, etc

In all seriousness: what does it say that I love all the proto-disco mentioned in this thread but have never been wowed by very much actuo-disco? I mean other than the fact that I am a raging hormophobite.

I think you need to ask the dudes who stopped like new rap in the late 90s about that...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

"gangstas dont dance"?

my thing w/ disco was basically related to 1. before i turned 21, chicago started doing these free all ages parties in grant park w/ classic chicago house DJs spinning house and disco every wednesday in the summer from 6pm to 9pm, and the place would get PACKED w/ people of all ages, incredible experience dancing w/ lake michigan on one side and the city skyline on the other to frankie knuckles, steve silk hurley, green velvet from light to dusk to dark

3. chicago still plays disco on a gang of different stations and always has - our adult R&B station, 100.3 'lovefm' has djs spinning on saturday nights, even the "sound of the streets" power 92 has boolumaster spinning green velvet, natalie cole house remixes and disco during his 5pm mix shows.

4. a couple books were published in the last couple years and i read them ... love saves the day, turn the beat around, etc

I started with this in like 93/94 when i first checked out the shelter, and heard real house music mixed with real disco. i saw and experienced the scenes that were the natural extension of the garage. the shelter was the main spot where everyone went after all the og nyc spots like the garage and better days were done (besides house nation and other underground nyc parties). timmy regisford had dj'd at the garage and better days, dudes i've chilled and partied till 10am with heads that were garage members, so i'm pretty lucky to see the context it was all in and experience it through the people and clubs with the proper lineage stemming from it that i hung out at.

naturally the first records i started buying back then were house and disco records, especially the stone cold classics. fast forward more than a decade later, and i'm leaning towards buying really early disco, some tunes that definitely cross the lines between funk/soul/disco, obscure stuff and other variations of disco that were never played at these places.

deej you have a very good point, in the sense that it is good to know the history, and understand where it all came from, and for people not to just comment on this with an extremely narrow 2008 newbie record collector point of view. it is a little strange to hear comments from people who most likely have never even stepped foot in a proper disco/house club setting in chicago or nyc or jersey etc.

but then again, you have to be careful telling people what records they should like and not like, based on the loft/garage playlists and history of these venues. just cause larry played it, doesn't mean it's good, or that other people need to "get it". he was one very influential dj, but i'm not here to carbon copy him either. i'm just buying what i like, and when people come to hear me dj, they are not going to be hearing a larry levan wannabe or dj cover act, they are going to hear (hopefully) an educated, and new dope disco dj with his own style. and hopefully that attracts my own crowd, and not just a bunch of nostalgic people who want to revisit the private paradise garage mind garden every single saturday night.

my ultimate goal is to strike a balance between the two. knowing, understanding and respecting the roots of this, but still trying to have a somewhat fresh outlook by bringing different tunes to the table to mix in with the staple classics. there are still tons of records to be discovered, and this thing can continue to move forward in new directions, and not be stuck on the same exact playlists from a few decades ago.

PS this guy is a little nuts for not liking atmosphere strut imho

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

POWER - early "Disco" joint.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I was just listening to Eddie's "Come Get The Cream Off The Top" just today, and laughing when I remembered that Dick Clark banned this song from American Bandstand because it was too "suggestive" or some such. And this was 1975. Anyway, great song - spun that one a good three or four times in a row today before moving on...

• In all seriousness: what does it say that I love all the proto-disco mentioned in this thread but have never been wowed by very much actuo-disco? I mean other than the fact that I am a raging hormophobite.

"gangstas dont dance"?

I started with this in like 93/94 when i first checked out the shelter, and heard real house music mixed with real disco. i saw and experienced the scenes that were the natural extension of the garage. the shelter was the main spot where everyone went after all the og nyc spots like the garage and better days were done (besides house nation and other underground nyc parties). timmy regisford had dj'd at the garage and better days, dudes i've chilled and partied till 10am with heads that were garage members, so i'm pretty lucky to see the context it was all in and experience it through the people and clubs with the proper lineage stemming from it that i hung out at.

naturally the first records i started buying back then were house and disco records, especially the stone cold classics. fast forward more than a decade later, and i'm leaning towards buying really early disco, some tunes that definitely cross the lines between funk/soul/disco, obscure stuff and other variations of disco that were never played at these places.

deej you have a very good point, in the sense that it is good to know the history, and understand where it all came from, and for people not to just comment on this with an extremely narrow 2008 newbie record collector point of view. it is a little strange to hear comments from people who most likely have never even stepped foot in a proper disco/house club setting in chicago or nyc or jersey etc.

but then again, you have to be careful telling people what records they should like and not like, based on the loft/garage playlists and history of these venues. just cause larry played it, doesn't mean it's good, or that other people need to "get it". he was one very influential dj, but i'm not here to carbon copy him either. i'm just buying what i like, and when people come to hear me dj, they are not going to be hearing a larry levan wannabe or dj cover act, they are going to hear (hopefully) an educated, and new dope disco dj with his own style. and hopefully that attracts my own crowd, and not just a bunch of nostalgic people who want to revisit the private paradise garage mind garden every single saturday night.

my ultimate goal is to strike a balance between the two. knowing, understanding and respecting the roots of this, but still trying to have a somewhat fresh outlook by bringing different tunes to the table to mix in with the staple classics. there are still tons of records to be discovered, and this thing can continue to move forward in new directions, and not be stuck on the same exact playlists from a few decades ago.

Well said.

Another reason why I gotta check out that recent mix you did. that was a free D.L. right?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

"gangstas dont dance"?

Well said.

Another reason why I gotta check out that recent mix you did. that was a free D.L. right?

yup, milliondollardisco.com

http://www.mddaudio.com/mixes/loveontherun.mp3

"Fire Keep On Burning 2"

The first song almost reminds me of Girl You Need A Change of Mind, except it says "I have changed". Enjoy...

• nessness 249 Posts
    "I Will Survive" shit.

you diss gloria gaynor you diss yourself.

• PS this guy is a little nuts for not liking atmosphere strut imho

Well, I was referencing an online debate from 8 years ago. I actually do like that record.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Me likes these...