WEEKEND grabs thread

13»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Some from last week, some from this weekend...

Someone almost bought this out of my $5 crates at the record fair this past saturday.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    We had our second Vinyl Exchange at my homies shop called Post Renniusance hear in Orlando. Everyone bought out some crates. Great Sunday of records, BBQ Chicken, 420ish, and Brews till the sun went down:

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    picked up over the weekend, just able to post now.

^^cheap rap. pretty stoked to find the digable and finesse 12s!

^^ big ups to red clay for Irma in trade! mcgriff is another snoozer, unfortunately.
    finally completed my brass constructions with iv, which i propose is the least easy to find?

^^ the ron goodwin is just for the (beautiful) cover. clovers is the 60s issue but its nice music.

^^ the Hair thing has moments. The Yoko record with Ornette and a lot of yelping on it.
    Homer is Zep's 1st appearence on a soundtrack (and one their only ones, actually).
    finally a clean Illinois speed press to upgrade with.

^^ pic sleeve 7"s. peggy lipton was in the Mod Squad!

^^ this is great. will digitize if no one has it.

^^ got back into a house id been helping clean the attic of last fall, finally found the player/recorder of the special flexis i found. it still works! gonna cut my own flexis!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude! You have a machine that makes flexidiscs?

That kicks ass!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    This might sound dumb but do you melt them once you're tired or want to make a new one? Or does it just write over the previous recording?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

This might sound dumb but do you melt them once you're tired or want to make a new one? Or does it just write over the previous recording?

no theyre one timers. but you can go on both sides! i think its 5 min a side.

so once i go thru the 50 or so blanks that are in the box, im fucked. so im going to try to make them count. what should i put on them?!!? im thinking drums for starters, that handheld cb mic has gotta have a crusty sound.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Those are stock recording discs, they pop up occasionally. I think I've thrown away a batch before...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Are there actually any good 45s on this label?? I've been pretty underwhelmed by what I've heard by these two artists, I just flip past them these days, what am I missing?

This looks badass!!

http://www.miniorgan.com/lib/view.php?miniorgan=67&srch=&srch_type=&sortby=&output=
    This is like a version of that made for children in Japan....pretty interesting as well.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

^^ got back into a house id been helping clean the attic of last fall, finally found the player/recorder of the special flexis i found. it still works! gonna cut my own flexis!

That's the coolest find I've seen on here in a long time. Make your own funky black man soul private press 45s and sell them to marcofunk!

Are there actually any good 45s on this label?? I've been pretty underwhelmed by what I've heard by these two artists, I just flip past them these days, what am I missing?

you might not be missing much - i needle dropped, heard something a little cool, and in my neck of the woods i usually never see unusual 45s so i get excited by anything even vaguely out of the ordinary. im not suprised these are "flip on by" material for more heavy diggers.

Those are stock recording discs, they pop up occasionally. I think I've thrown away a batch before...

in the future, you know who to flip em to!

That's the coolest find I've seen on here in a long time. Make your own funky black man soul private press 45s and sell them to marcofunk!

yes! although ill need Ako on drums and his "whoops and yeahs" hahaha...

* it just occurred to me this thing is exactly what Mingering Mike needed back then...

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    "Bartz" is a looong way from the spiritual jazz genius of the past so it's really kind of a novelty for me. yeh, the Gary Bartz, Pharoah Sanders and Baden Powell came from that guy you're talking about at the Ottawa day. I'm feeling the Baden Powell out of the three, not 'funky' at all but just great music.
    The george Benson and others in that photo came from an antique show at landsdowne park. the only record dealer, this guys sells almost everything for $1 (including the George Benson and Pete Terrace). seems to be original from the look of the sleeve and the label. it doesn't say "an erotic record". Cheeba Cheeba is that joint though!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

you might not be missing much - i needle dropped, heard something a little cool, and in my neck of the woods i usually never see unusual 45s so i get excited by anything even vaguely out of the ordinary. im not suprised these are "flip on by" material for more heavy diggers.

"Flip on by," hell. You should really flip over that "Now That It's Over" 45 and play "Western Union," which was the hit side (and the better song of the two).

Seriously, the Five Americans are fairly respected in the fields of garage & psych, so nobody who is into that stuff "flips past" their records, unless they have them already. I've big-upped them on the Strut before (and I think Soul On Ice had positive things to say about them, too). This Texas quintet careened back and forth between different styles, doing the pop thing about equally with the hard punkish stuff, and even dabbling in psych. They've always been cool with me. Pulsating organ and all.

I can't speak for Jon & Robin - their happy-go-lucky flower-pop isn't really my bag. I don't know what your tastes are or what you were looking for, but I guess if you've heard the Five Americans and weren't impressed, then it's too late.

The other big act on Abnak was Bobby Patterson, who recorded for Abnak's subsidary, Jetstar. Really solid southern R&B from a guy who had one minor soul hit ("T.C.B. Or T.Y.A.," 1969), but never really crossed over, or broke out of the regional market. His stuff is worth looking for, too - Sundazed released a Patterson compilation some years back.

I'm surprised Abnak got away with that label design for that long without having Atlantic Records' lawyers coming after them...

Good thing I went early cuz I killed this guy's crates...
    He was selling everything in really good condition for $3 each. Just take a look at my pictures in this tread and 2 thirds of the LP's from there were in his crates.
    Hard to understand why these guys participate in these convetions if they're gonna sell everything for close to nothing. Last year there was this one guy with incredible records selling for way to little and all the other dealers and "early birds" apparently killed his stock. The only thing I was able to get from him later that day was "All your goodies are gone" by The Parliaments (in mint condition for $3 )so I still got lucky. BTW , The reason I mentioned the George Benson is because he had a repress in his crates for like $5 and I almost got fooled on that one since it looked very similar to the OG...

"Flip on by," hell. You should really flip over that "Now That It's Over" 45 and play "Western Union," which was the hit side (and the better song of the two).

Seriously, the Five Americans are fairly respected in the fields of garage & psych, so nobody who is into that stuff "flips past" their records, unless they have them already. I've big-upped them on the Strut before (and I think Soul On Ice had positive things to say about them, too). This Texas quintet careened back and forth between different styles, doing the pop thing about equally with the hard punkish stuff, and even dabbling in psych. They've always been cool with me. Pulsating organ and all.

I can't speak for Jon & Robin - their happy-go-lucky flower-pop isn't really my bag. I don't know what your tastes are or what you were looking for, but I guess if you've heard the Five Americans and weren't impressed, then it's too late.

The other big act on Abnak was Bobby Patterson, who recorded for Abnak's subsidary, Jetstar. Really solid southern R&B from a guy who had one minor soul hit ("T.C.B. Or T.Y.A.," 1969), but never really crossed over, or broke out of the regional market. His stuff is worth looking for, too - Sundazed released a Patterson compilation some years back.

I'm surprised Abnak got away with that label design for that long without having Atlantic Records' lawyers coming after them...
    Is that the same Bobby Patterson that did stuf on Paula? I've never come across his Jetstar stuff. I remember definitely not liking Jon & Robin, maybe I caught the Five Americans at a weak moment (mine or theirs) so I'll try to remember to give them another chance at some stage. That label is definitely a serious Atlantic bite, esp. considering Atlantic had a yellow/black variation of their own at some point in time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Is that the same Bobby Patterson that did stuf on Paula? I've never come across his Jetstar stuff.

The one and the same. I never see those 45's either (although I do have one of them - a gold vinyl promo at that...).

maybe I caught the Five Americans at a weak moment (mine or theirs) so I'll try to remember to give them another chance at some stage.

They did have offdays - that Western Union album has more filler than a ballpark frank and is probably best gotten cheap - but most of the time they were on their game.

That label is definitely a serious Atlantic bite, esp. considering Atlantic had a yellow/black variation of their own at some point in time.

Yeah, Atlantic had the yellow/black label in the fifties, then brought it back in the '70s for reissues in their oldies series.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

whats up with illinois speed press? i keep passing that up at a spot at my hometown because its slightly over my take-a-chance-on-it price limit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Both Jon & Robin albums have one or two decent tracks on
    them, and I think those tracks are on 45. I would think most
    people on here could get into "Love Me Baby" ... Five Americans
    have some great material, even have whole decent albums. The
    "I See the Light" LP on HBR is one of the better garage albums
    out there, and the "Progressions" semi-psych LP is quality, too.

These same people flip past John Fred albums

These same people flip past John Fred albums

I've recently begun to repent this sin.

yeah, i didnt flip on by myself, i wuz just sayin i guess i could see why one might do that if they werent into the style or whatever. Personally I think these 45s are cool as hell, but yeah, i often like things others are iffy on.

b/w

Ako, check your pms re: Illinois S.P.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Someone almost bought this out of my $5 crates at the record fair this past saturday.

someone missed out.

Defiantly worth 5 bucks.

(i mis-spelled definitely and spellcheck changed it to defiantly. i think defiantly is better)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

someone missed out.

Defiantly worth 5 bucks.

(i mis-spelled definitely and spellcheck changed it to defiantly. i think defiantly is better)

still cant believe dude went on to become the music composer for Family Guy...