WEEKEND grabs thread

pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
couldnt find one so i made one...got some nice stuff in the post - a few trades and some cheap stuff from the internet:the NOVOS BAIANOS is pretty great upbeat folky Brazilian stuff - the track "misterio de planeta" is face melting (but skips loads on my copy due to a big warp )MILTON NASCIMENTO - this is the 3rd lp i have by him and im not enjoying it as much as the other two - but the title track "milagre dos peixes" is amazingly beautiful. the MARY JANE ost is dead great for the most part - put an idle bid on it even though im broke and won it for $9 - bargain. the STANDARD lib is "small group pop" - has some nice vic flick / herbie flowers stuff -plus fuzz guitar and a tidy break. nice havent listened to the others yet. the 7's are:SULLIVAN - "je reviens au pays" (french sitar stuff)GILBERO GIL - 4 track ep of tracks from his "expresso 2.222" albumMILTON NASCIMENTO - the 7 that comes with the "milagre dos piexes" lp - bizarely tracks that are better than some on the album itself!!TURTLES - "you now what i mean" (both sides sound like a not as good version of 'only in it for the money' era zappa)ATOMIC ROOSTER - "the rock" (killer organ / break beat prog instro thats nice to have on 7 so i can get rid of the album) plus loads of copies of a mate's first hip hop 7 release that i designed the artwork for.... 500 pressed - get your copies here

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

IMHO right up there with Otis and Cooke in terms of great voices

longtime want crossed off the list

Spoke about this in another thread. Really great soul album. Unfortunately the powers that be decided to add artificial crowd noise between tracks and that really kills the intros and outros.

Soul On Ice recommended. Guzzo approved

Never seen this Della Before, a couple fun tracks. My favorite being the bouncy "I Got The Blues"

Soul on Ice recommended. Guzzo approved II

Original stereo sticker

Why does no one talk about this album? This is so f.ucking amazing! lots of similarities to Curtis Mayfield's "No Place Like America Today". Some great love songs, great (and funny) political tracks. Probably my favorite pick up of the week

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Just one from earlier this week.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    don't make me post my finds. your life will crumble down!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I recommended that Gene Chandler, too

• Spoke about this in another thread. Really great soul album. Unfortunately the powers that be decided to add artificial crowd noise between tracks and that really kills the intros and outros.

Is that 'Four for the Price of One' a reworking of the Larry Williams/Johnny Guitar Watson 'Two For the Price of One'?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Why does no one talk about this album? This is so f.ucking amazing! lots of similarities to Curtis Mayfield's "No Place Like America Today". Some great love songs, great (and funny) political tracks. Probably my favorite pick up of the week

...and it has "Cause I Love You" which folks would know if they ever watched the Kings of Comedy movie.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

...and it has "Cause I Love You" which folks would know if they ever listened to oldies radio[/b]

... but isn't that tune on the "Spark Of Love" LP?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Spoke about this in another thread. Really great soul album. Unfortunately the powers that be decided to add artificial crowd noise between tracks and that really kills the intros and outros.

Is that 'Four for the Price of One' a reworking of the Larry Williams/Johnny Guitar Watson 'Two For the Price of One'?

Yes, it is...

Which made it weirder when Bell/Arista reissued this album in the seventies (as The O'Jays), 'cause it had a painting of the three-man O'Jays that most of us know, yet right there on the vinyl they're singin' 'bout "FOUR For The Price Of One"...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I am posting this as a warning...I picked up this...dudes form rotary connection..LSD highlighted on the cover, thought it would be worth checking out...AVOID THIS, DO NOT BUY IT...TERD to the EXTREME

• I am posting this as a warning...I picked up this...dudes form rotary connection..LSD highlighted on the cover, thought it would be worth checking out...AVOID THIS, DO NOT BUY IT...TERD to the EXTREME

For sure on that one! every thrift shop in Illinois has got that piece.

• pardon my "lil dude" status but i pulled these today.. ima peep them tonight and see if i grabbed anything worthwhile. no camera so text only..

joe tex - soul country
    qunicy jones - walking in space
    carla thomas - memphis queen
    the family of mann - first light
    highly distinct - the friends of distinction
    mariam makeba - the voice of africa
    arthur conley - soul directions
    george benson - good king bad
    stanley cowell - waiting for the moment

• Spoke about this in another thread. Really great soul album. Unfortunately the powers that be decided to add artificial crowd noise between tracks and that really kills the intros and outros.

Yes, it is...

Which made it weirder when Bell/Arista reissued this album in the seventies (as The O'Jays), 'cause it had a painting of the three-man O'Jays that most of us know, yet right there on the vinyl they're singin' 'bout "FOUR For The Price Of One"...

I need to find that!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    beautiful day for rummaging. all for a dollar...

best condition i have ever seen a James Brown record in haha seriously tho its basically mint

biggest disappointment of the day...based on cover, year and hair

oh and i found this thing. sealed. cant find any info on it....anyone?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Went to the local record convention and picked these all up for pretty cheap. Average price is about $3 to $5 for LP's(except "Winter in America") and $1 or less for 45's. One of the dealers was nice enough to hook me up with some 7" green cardboard sleeves that I had been looking for.

45's are(from upper-left to lower right):
    Jean Knight - Mr Big stuff
    The 3 Degrees - you're the one
    Emotions - Got to be the man
    Joneses - I can't see what you see in me
    Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime , moi non plus / Jane Birkin - Jane B.
    The Esquires - Get on up / Listen to me
    Sylvia - Pillow talk / My thing
    James & Bobby Purify - I'm your puppet
    Jimmy Castor Bunch - Troglodyte
    Jackson 5 - ABC
    Lowell Fulsom - Tramp / Tramp (inst.) 2 copies
    Fire - You don't know
    Freda Payne - Bring the boys home
    Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime , moi non plus / Jane Birkin - Jane B.
    Originals - Down to love town
    Hamilton Bohanon - Bohanon's beat
    James Brown - Call me super bad
    James Brown - World
    James Brown - Soul power
    + other 45's not shown like :
    Solomon Burke - I'm in love
    Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I'm not made of clay & I'm lonely
    Ernie K Doe - Mother in law
    Bobby Byrd & Vicki Anderson - Loving you/Here is my everything

etc...

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    i found pounding amounts of ill shit today
    but i don't really give a fuck about posting anymore cuz i gots nothin to prove

b/w whining twats who bitch about "kala's blurry pix"

hehehehehehe

walk away son
    fuck you
    real headz know the deal
    yeah i am a prick,needs anger management classes etc etc

yawns

• ... but isn't that tune on the "Spark Of Love" LP?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i found pounding amounts of ill shit today
    but i don't really give a fuck about posting anymore cuz i gots nothin to prove

So you were just dropping in to let us know?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Beach music legend.
    He tried to go disco.
    Handyman is Back in Town got some play in recent days.
    But perhaps so much it got over-played.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

I've actually never heard it, but everyone I know who has says it blows. I've heard a couple of Handyman tracks and they were zzzzzzzzzzzz...

It catches good money though- $100ish give or take I believe.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hi! im home for the weekend. went to church with my mom to help make hawaiian plate lunches for some fundraiser. then went on a lil dig. here's some highlights!

bottom right is another fresno raer private press prog thingie.

Yo Chris, Hansyman Jones is some private disco business- I think usually sells for 75-100 or so. Sought after but not really all that great.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

but it originally dropped on the RSB LP. get your bay area artists straight kids... testing my bay area gangster?!?! brendan i can understand but jon... youve made me sad... very very sad.

• ... but isn't that tune on the "Spark Of Love" LP?

but it originally dropped on the RSB LP. get your bay area artists straight kids... testing my bay area gangster?!?! brendan i can understand but jon... youve made me sad... very very sad.

I'm sorry Justin. I'll make it up to you next time I'm in San Francisco. Don't cry my little turtledove. I will let you run your fingers through my glorious chest-mane in the fall... perfect time for lovers walks...

biggest disappointment of the day...based on cover, year and hair

haha dude, the fact that "Brandy" is on it wasn't a red flag?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Who is the other Brendan here? I get Bay artists mixed up all the time but I didn't comment in this thread...

Holler at me about that dentures story man!

• biggest disappointment of the day...based on cover, year and hair

haha dude, the fact that "Brandy" is on it wasn't a red flag?

homeboy, 'brandy' IS the reason to own that record.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Slow weekend

homeboy, 'brandy' IS the reason to own that record.

lol my doggie, you can believe that I own "Brandy" on 45 ... but
    never really felt the need to own another track by those dudes, never
    mind an entire album.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Copped:

Art Blakey & Jazz Messangers - The Freedom Rider (Pretty standard Blue Note stuff. Solid, but nothing mind-blowing.)

Gil Scott Heron/Brian Jackson - Midnight Band: First minute (Great spiritual vibe! Been passing this up til the record store guy said I should cop.)

Future Flight - s/t (sold to Mylatency. One of the few few records that slipped through the cracks at Record Surplus and was wrongly filed under the rock section.)