Help On The names of some Legendary Music Clubs

2»

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Radiotron, World On Wheels, and Good Life in l.a. for hip-hop (last two aren't clubs, but hip-hop spots of note)

world on wheels was a club of sorts. i mean, it was a roller rink. im not sold on the good life, but i will say you cant talk about LA rap without mentioning the roadium. to me this is truly where it all started.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Max's Kansas City (NY)

This was the OTHER big punk-era club in the mid-late '70s, besides CBGB's. Totally underrated place (probably because they went out of business in '82). A few years back, when everybody was buying a CBGB's T-shirt (even those who didn't know what it meant), I went the other way and bought a Max's T. Even though the joint was known for glitter-rock and then punk, early on they weren't afraid to book esoteric acts like Charlie Rich, Papa John Creach, Howlin' Wolf and Waylon Jennings.

• Manchester's Hacienda

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Manchester's Hacienda

Word!

Another: Ronnie Scotts, London

• Zanzibar (Newark NJ's Studio 54)
    Club 88 (E.O. NJ)
    Sensations (the wildest hip hop club in Newark NJ ever)
    Roseland (NY)
    Peppermint Lounge (NJ)

And you kicked all of those to the curb if DJ Mark The 45 King was throwing a house party. Those were the days.

Haven't posted here in a minute, but I lurk on the daily. You guys truly know your shit when it comes to music and I thank you for dropping the knowledge.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    OAKLAND:

elis mile high club (soul & blues)
    esthers orbit room (soul & blues)

SF:

dragon a go go (soul & rock)
    the ghetto club (soul & latin)
    club long island (soul & blues)

im totally drawing a blank right now on local nightclubs. if i remember anymore ill write them down.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    R??senberg.

• im totally drawing a blank right now on local nightclubs. if i remember anymore ill write them down.

PIZZA N' PIPES WITH DERRICK D IN TEH MIX!

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Water the Bush
    Hollywood Live
    (los Angeles)

• And you kicked all of those to the curb if DJ Mark The 45 King was throwing a house party. Those were the days.

Damn, I wanna hear more about that. Please to share.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Sanctuary (NYC)
    The Gallery (NYC)
    Arthur (NYC)

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Xanadu

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Some Portland classics:

Satyricon (punk/indy)
    X-Ray Cafe

Here's a clip from a doc about the X-Ray. Gives you a good feel of what it was like there. Truly amazing scene. My favorite show. Drunk at Abi's playing Super Stupid, with JR wearing a trash bag.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Po Monkey's?

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    So, the shirt is looking really good. I'll definitely be posting it here once I'm completely finished with it. All the strutter input really pushed it to the next level. The only thing lacking for me is the Brazilian aspect. I've got soul, jazz, funk, afro beat, disco/boogie, early house and techno, balearic, hip hop, freestyle, electro, all represented but I really want to list at least one legendary Brazilian music club or even a venue at this point. There had to have been a place where Jorge Ben, Caetano Veloso, Os Mutantes, Gilberto Gil, all converged. Is any one familiar with such a place ? Any help would be appreciated. I just don't think the vision for this design would be complete without this aspect.

• hometown hi-fi :: watertown, Kingston ja.

King tubby's sound

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    word. i wanted the dub/reggae vibe to be repped. thanks