I feel the earth move...

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
...under my ass. Anyone else in Illinois feel that fuckin earthquake last night? I'm in Chicago and the rumbles we felt were pretty minor, but I guess it was 5 point something in Southern Illinois.The fucked up shit was I was in the middle of a nightmare where me and my wife were being hunted down by Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men (I blame the strutter who started the Cormac McCarthy thread yesterday) It was really stressful. I never have dreams like that.Then I woke up to find my bed vibrating like WTF? I had to reach over and make sure my wife was ok. Suffice it to say I had a hard time getting back to sleep.

Comments

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I'm in Indy and it woke my wife and me up. Nothing compared to what I felt on the west coast though.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Just feel the after shock? aprox 11:00am EST? Just felt that ish. Thought the air conditioner was going off in my office. HAHA

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    thats some wild ish. have there been quakes in the mid-west before? i'm sure there are, but i mean ones that people felt? i was in a few of them in seattle, that is a crazy feeling....

• in the area but slept through it.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    really? no, I didn't. If there was something it either didn't make it up to my office or I passed it off as a passing semi truck.

thats some wild ish. have there been quakes in the mid-west before? i'm sure there are, but i mean ones that people felt? i was in a few of them in seattle, that is a crazy feeling....

I've lived in Chicago or the surrounding area my entire life, and this has never happened. There may have been quakes, but they've never made it up to Chi in my experience. That's why it fucked me up. It was the middle of the night and I was groggy as hell like "wtf? what is shaking my house at 4 in the morning??" For a midwestern boy like me, that's the third sign of the apocalypse and shit. There's a big-ass fault line down south near Indiana, right? I knew it was only a matter of time before it came calling.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    in the area but slept through it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    that's the third sign of the apocalypse and shit.

INCOMING!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

after Katrina and what else?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    There's a big-ass fault line down south near Indiana, right? I knew it was only a matter of time before it came calling.

http://www.startribune.com/local/17906999.html

The strongest earthquake on record with an epicenter in Illinois occurred in 1968, when a 5.3-magnitude temblor was recorded about 75 miles southeast of St. Louis, according the USGS. The damage was minor but widespread and there were no serious injuries.

In 1811 and 1812, the New Madrid fault produced a series of earthquakes estimated at magnitude 7.0 or greater said to be felt as far away as Boston. They were centered in the Missouri town of New Madrid (pronounced MAD rid), 140 miles southeast of St. Louis.

Runs all the way up into minnesota.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i haven't been in an earthquake since that last big one in LA, what was that '91? i just remember being in the doorway and seeing our brick floor roll. there's been other small ones i've been in back home around DC but i never noticed schitt till it came on the news.

real talk, i wanna be in one cause i think it would be fun. drink a beer, get one of those balance boards, and stand outside. if it were only that easy...

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Yeah, this one was nothing to the last on I was in, in Seattle. 2001... 2002? It was the one that happened the morning after that crazy Mardi Gras when all those people got beat in Pioneer Square. It was almost like God's wrath because the area that was hit the most was Pioneer Square. HAHA!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i've been in a few in seattle, but the last big one, feb 28th 01 (i'm the date guy remember?) was crazy! i always said that if we ever got hit by a big one that i didn't want to be standing under my packed expedit and sure enough, thats exactly where i was! my girl started screaming "what do i do? what do i do!?!?!" i told her to stand under a doorway and me? i press myself against that shelve in hopes of keeping it upright. i thought the whole floor was gonna give out and i'd be in the garage with my records on top of me. it lasted like 20 seconds and scared the shit out of us. then we went to baskin robbins and got ice cream.

after Katrina and what else?

No, I mean for me personally. Not to suggest that Katrina was anything but a disaster, but the direct effects didn't echo up to my local experience. Neither did the huge SF quake that crushed the freeway back in the day, as tragic as that also was.

I live in a Midwestern city. As a rule, we don't get hit by tornadoes, and we don't have earthquakes. So for quakes to be making their way up here means that it's only a matter of time before my ass gets got. The beginning of the end, so to speak.

I speak only of my own shookness. I was not trying to compare anyone else's local impending apocalypse experiences.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Well, one reason why the quake was felt so far away is because the land is so flat and there aren't things like mountains to buffer the vibrations.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i thought it was my crazy neighbors playing with a oujia board or something and the evil spirit came into our room...lol...i was a bit buzzed too...

was weird.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i was trying to sleep and all of the sudden it felt like somebody was shaking my bed back and forth....crazy shit.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    My dude has a farm in southern Indiana, he told me his dogs, probably around 8 he has running around outside were barking like crazy 10 minutes before the quake hit. He went to check on them because they were barking like fuck, by the time he laid back down, the quake hit.

• in the area but slept through it.

yap. i slept through like a baby. everyone at work talked about it but i grew up where earthquakes frequent and walls are made of expensive paper. im also a very very serious sleeper. the midwest can't compare to the quakes i've survived in my lifetime.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    another one happened an hour ago...weird.

hmmmm??

hmmmm??

really? I didn't feel it. I think that was just the ouija board messing with you this time.

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts

hmmmm??

maybe a truck passed by...
    i heard no report of earthshakes in Chicago but i'm also outta town till Sunday.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

hmmmm??

really? I didn't feel it. I think that was just the ouija board messing with you this time.

hurr hurrr

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

click on illinois and then zoom in.

hmmmm??

hurr hurrr

hmmm. That one didn't make it up here, as far as I can tell. You're downstate, though, right? (no e-holler)

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

hmmmm??

hurr hurrr

hmmm. That one didn't make it up here, as far as I can tell. You're downstate, though, right? (no e-holler)

central

i felt it a bit so I dunno. Kind of strange it is continuous, but I know the bay area peeps are like,"PUH-LEEZE!"

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts
    yap, puhleez eh-lise. (jk)