Recommend me some vocal Soul groups!

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hey everyone,I'm looking for some new music and would like some suggestions on the vocal soul group tip. Here's a smattering of what I've been listening to lately to give you some idea of what I'm into.It could be upbeat like 100 Proof Aged In Soulor Esquires or Glass Houseor on the Sweet tip like the Fantastic Four, Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum and Durr or the Lost Generationthe super catchy the Jewels or Sandpebblesit doesn't have to be rare ass tunes either, a good Motown group like the Originals always hits the spot for meDoesn't have to be 45s either!Help a man out.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, considering that you've already heard the Brothers of Soul and The Ambassadors, I'll have to think about this.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Well, considering that you've already heard the Brothers of Soul and The Ambassadors, I'll have to think about this.

You know, the only Ambassadors I've heard is Ain't Got The Love which I have on a couple comps because it was sampled back in the day.

I've also got 3 Esquires 45s (two already pictured) do they have anymore?

What about Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr? Don't they also have at least one other 45, any good?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I always recommend the Young Hearts "Sweet Soul Shakin"[/b] album, on Minit.

Really solid from start to finish.

A few recent pickups that have been getting play:

"Get My Hands On Some Lovin" Artistics[/b] LP on Okeh from '65.

Fantastic vocal soul in the classic Chicago style.

"On a New Street" Little Anthony & the Imperials[/b] LP on Avco '73.

Old schoolers update their sound to 1973, with one side all Thom
    Bell productions, the other all Teddy Randazzo. Originators of sweet
    soul show they can keep up with the game.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've also got 3 Esquires 45s (two already pictured) do they have anymore?

What about Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr? Don't they also have at least one other 45, any good?

BOOM.

Don't the Lost Generation have another LP as well? How about the Montclairs? I have one 45 Dreaming Out Of Season/I Just Can???t Get Away (Paula) of theirs that I like, anything else good?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

You know, the only Ambassadors I've heard is Ain't Got The Love which I have on a couple comps because it was sampled back in the day.

Oh, shit - their Soul Summit LP (Artic) (+ CD reissue w/ bonus tracks) is reccommended. Also, the Hesitations' Soul Superman LP (Kapp) (their first and only solid affair) is top-notch Northern.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You're in deep with The Impressions and Valentinos (Womack Brothers), right?

Impressions yes, Valetinos no.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Motown -

You have a copy of The Soul Generation - Beyond Body & Soul? One of my favorite soul LPs of all time, worth every penny.

Next time I'm up in the East Bay I need to buy you a beer and talk about teaching in Oakland Public Schools. Thinking about getting my credential in the near future.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Impressions yes, Valetinos no.

I like Bobby Womack's work with the Valentinos more than anything else he's ever done.

Dramatics; Artistics; Persuaders; Notations; Four Mints; Dynamic Tints...

Does anyone have a copy of the Black Conspirators' "Love Love Love?"

And what was the name of the one soul group on Hi? The Modulations?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I like Bobby Womack's work with the Valentinos more than anything else he's ever done.

The Valentinos seem a little too hard and southern compared to everybody else in this thread, but I recommend them on that basis. Several singles on various labels (Sar, Jubilee, Chess, Clean), but only one album I can think of - the long-out-of-print 1984 compilation Bobby Womack & The Valentinos on Chess, which rounds up the sides they did for that label.

And what was the name of the one soul group on Hi? The Modulations?

There were quite a few vocal groups on Hi, including Quiet Elegance (CLASSIC version of James Carr's "You've Got My Mind Messed Up") and Chicago's own Teacher's Edition (who also recorded as the Conservatives for Ebonic Sound).

One extremely underrated soul group that I can recommend are the Independents, who recorded for Wand: "Let This Be A Lesson To You," "Leaving Me," "Arise & Shine," "Just As Long As You Need Me," "Baby, I've Been Missing You," "No Wind, No Rain," "One Woman Do Right Man" - all great.

Also out there: Enchantment, who kept the sound going into the late seventies. Unfortunately, their uptempo sides had a heavy disco influence (goes with the territory), but you can't miss with ballads like "Gloria" and the incredible "Where Do We Go From Here."

The early 70's Valentinos version of Womack's "I Can Understand It"
    on Atlantic subsidiary Clean is a pretty great single.

Motown, do you have that Young Hearts LP I mentioned above?

• One extremely underrated soul group that I can recommend are the Independents, who recorded for Wand

satisfaction unlimited - think of the children

• olskoololskool 77 Posts
    I always recommend the Young Hearts "Sweet Soul Shakin"[/b] album, on Minit.

Really solid from start to finish.

A few recent pickups that have been getting play:

"Get My Hands On Some Lovin" Artistics[/b] LP on Okeh from '65.

Fantastic vocal soul in the classic Chicago style.

"On a New Street" Little Anthony & the Imperials[/b] LP on Avco '73.

Old schoolers update their sound to 1973, with one side all Thom
    Bell productions, the other all Teddy Randazzo. Originators of sweet
    soul show they can keep up with the game.

cosine on these LP's.

These ones haven't been mentioned yet.

and couldn't find a pic of the

WILLIE & THE MIGHTY MAGNIFICENTS on vee-jay

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Don't the Lost Generation have another LP as well?

there was a thread last month about this. I heartily endorse Lost Generation.
    The single pictured in this thread is from their first LP, but try to hear
    'Young Tough and Terrible' from '72 on Brunswick for several close knit group vocals across all styles: Northern belters, ballads, Tempts style 'ghetto' soul and an amazingly futuristic sounding folk funk epic - including a full instrumental version of said epic. An album truly with something for everyone IMHO.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    These ones haven't been mentioned yet.

Hey!

Also, the Hesitations' Soul Superman LP (Kapp) (their first and only solid affair) is top-notch Northern.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    How about the Montclairs? I have one 45 Dreaming Out Of Season/I Just Can???t Get Away (Paula) of theirs that I like, anything else good?

Hell yeah. I can't endorse picking up their album Dreaming Out Of Season strongly enough. Beautiful collection of songs.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this Dells track has been killing me

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    A common goodie: the second Natural Four LP on Curtom.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    My favorite Esquires 45 is 'Stay' on New World. My favorite Montclairs side is "Hey You! Don't Fight It" but that one is for millionaires only. ANother group that's been doing it for me lately are the Ethics. I've yet to hear a bad 45 from them. Also, the Precisions records on Drew are all pretty phenominal.

One extremely underrated soul group that I can recommend are the Independents, who recorded for Wand

...and I just found out that Motown already reviewed their greatest-hits album, but for the rest of you who aren't aware, by all means check 'em out

Last summer I got hooked on a real good Dells track, "Don't Make Me A Storyteller," which was the B-side of the unremarkable "I Miss You."

Other greats:
    - the Radiants

- the One-derful label had a real good stable of vocal groups, including the Accents ("New Girl"), the Rockmasters, and the Young Folk (if you like the girl group vibe of the Jewels'"Opportunity," you need to hear the Young Folk's "Joey")

- the Fantastic Four (particularly their records on the Ric-Tic and Soul labels)

- the Dynamic Tints ("Falling In Love" on Twinight)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Van Dykes
    The C.O.D.s
    The Elgins
    The Persuaders
    The Sequins

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Smith Connection and Continental IV both have LPs that are solid all the way through.

• Last summer I got hooked on a real good Dells track, "Don't Make Me A Storyteller," which was the B-side of the unremarkable "I Miss You."

Other greats:
    - the Radiants

- the One-derful label had a real good stable of vocal groups, including the Accents ("New Girl"), the Rockmasters, and the Young Folk (if you like the girl group vibe of the Jewels'"Opportunity," you need to hear the Young Folk's "Joey")

- the Fantastic Four (particularly their records on the Ric-Tic and Soul labels)

- the Dynamic Tints ("Falling In Love" on Twinight)

on the Radiants

and add

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    On some change-of-the-seasons, lovey-dovey schitt:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This has been in pretty constant rotation this past year. Chi-Lites- What Do I Wish For

DivShare File - 01 What Do I Wish For.m4a