Midweek Finds

TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Found some more fun stuff yesterday...Tierra - had to pick this one up. The sticker on the front said "Super latin jazz rock" It has a few cool moments. and yep they cover all the styles the sticker says!Shaft in Africa - ClassicCharles Loyd - Cool Blues and jazzRollerball - I got to see the movie, mostly classical but has some funky momentsHeadhunters - Another classicAir - Great backing music, but the vocals on this one started to wear on me.Both Eddy Senay records are great classic funkThe soundtrack? - Filled with both countrywestern and some funk. Even has a car chase theme.Some strange rap records that i havent opened yet. Anyone familiar with these?Bobby Powell - Awesome version of Funky BroadwayFred Munnings Jr - Very funky travel recordThe Noteables - Sounds like a practice session for a james brown song, but with white guy vocalsPrecisions - Very nice soulSwamp People - One of my favorites of the finds. Rhythmic funky rock? even has a break, if that matters.Harvey Mandel - Cristo Redentor is always a great listenAphrodites child - From the "666" album?Shuggie Otis - I need more of this guys stuff!

Comments

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

every time you post in a finds thread it is like you went to a record show haha

and i am not mad at that

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Hey

What record is that, upper row, second to right?
    It has the same cover as Sounds of soul, on Themes (library record).

Peace

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Hey

What record is that, upper row, second to right?
    It has the same cover as Sounds of soul, on Themes (library record).

Peace
    Millie Jackson - It hurts so good (Spring records)
    The title track had previously been released on the Cleopatra Jones OST ...

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
    Nice finds fred.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Utah dude, you kinda kill it.

That Goombay joint seems potentially exciting but kinda sucks.

will you trade that Notables 45?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    master rappers should fetch a little loot.
    same label as funky constellation breaks, bytheway

listen to airLP again (and again) if the vocals get on your nerves, thees a good chance you arent human

• Aphrodites child - From the "666" album?

nope-- one of their early 45's

most of their French 45's from that period have a really killer b-side to go with the overly dramatic ballad on the a.

my fav is "air" - on the b-side to "spring, summer ..." --- Frickin' heavy drums!!

"you always stand in my way" is also great...

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    The soundtrack? - Filled with both countrywestern and some funk. Even has a car chase theme.

That one's Electra Glide In Blue OST - definitely worth it for the chase theme. I think it was recorded by members of 'Chicago'?! Someone here can confirm that
    Cheers,
    Tom

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Utah dude, you kinda kill it.

That Goombay joint seems potentially exciting but kinda sucks.

will you trade that Notables 45?

Doesn't suck at all. More disco than funk but pleasant nonetheless. Usually comes with a picture sleeve.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i still cant get over my man calling eddy senay hot thang, great classic funk, and air wore on him. to each his own, i suppose

love rap is a good find pm me

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
    master rappers should fetch a little loot.
    same label as funky constellation breaks, bytheway

listen to airLP again (and again) if the vocals get on your nerves, thees a good chance you arent human

ha ha, something about her tone, cant quite pinpoint it. i'll have to give it a second chance. What would you describe eddy senay as? Just out of curiousity.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I know this has come up before, but am I the only one here who thinks that rekkid blows?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The soundtrack? - Filled with both countrywestern and some funk. Even has a car chase theme.

That one's Electra Glide In Blue OST - definitely worth it for the chase theme. I think it was recorded by members of 'Chicago'?! Someone here can confirm that
    Cheers,
    Tom

As far as I know, members of the group play on a couple of the tracks but there aren't any by the group as a whole. Couple of them have extended cameos in the film as well.

I know this has come up before, but am I the only one here who thinks that rekkid blows?

I haven't heard it in a long time but I remember not thinking anything of it the first time I heard it. I need to check it out again.

But hell, I'm also the guy who thinks Alice Clark is a turd so what do I know?

Uh oh... GET A ROPE!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

i don't think it blows but definitely not for me.

Treehouse:

Master Rappers --- pretty solid early rap thing from the Rota crew. The track is cool although the change goes all carousel-ride weird, rap is so-so... give it a chance if that's your bag.. otherwise $40 - $50 maybe... i've seen some try for $100 which is bollocks.

Harlem World Crew --- mail this express to 3X 2X c/o of Philly Green Productions ATT: TOUCH OF TONY

Gene Anderson --- Poo Poo indeed. Pretty awful 12"

Bambu --- pretty common and not very noteworthy.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

ray dobards dentures

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Whaaaat, Justin just obliterated every weekend finds thread ever. I need to hear about this one.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

Some strange rap records that i havent opened yet. Anyone familiar with these?

What's on the flipside of the Harlem World Crew 12"?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Call my humanity into question, because I was unmoved by it myself, and
    ended up selling my copy within a couple of months. I know it's a certified
    "soul strut classic" but yeah, those vocals don't really do it for me.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I too don't find the appeal.

Goddamn, can somebody at least start lobbying to ban me already? I mean, I used terd in the same sentence with Alice Clark. Talk about a Certified Soulstrut Classic! I was ready for a firestorm.

I was gonna call you out but then Justin posted.

You were just trying to start a firestorm, right? I mean, that record is pretty amazing.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Goddamn, can somebody at least start lobbying to ban me already? I mean, I used terd in the same sentence with Alice Clark. Talk about a Certified Soulstrut Classic! I was ready for a firestorm.

you have several passes

use them wisely

That Bob James 4 is a certifiable banger

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I admire your restraint in telling me off when I sent you a CD with an Alice Clark 45 raer on it...

I admire your restraint in telling me off when I sent you a CD with an Alice Clark 45 raer on it...

know what, that was the one track on the LP that kinda caught my ear but it didn't move me enough to wanna keep the thing.

Do I need to mention again that I GAVE THIS LP AWAY?

That Bob James 4 is a certifiable banger

That sentence is kinda redundant don't you think?

So you really don't like that record? For real?

• Found some more fun stuff yesterday...

the 45 of that Master Rappers came through my work a few months ago. i thought it had a good sound, but didn't do too well on auction..

here's a sip

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    ray dobards dentures

haha. mike told me & jesse about that and how barry's wife was all freaked out & stuff. so is that part of your cut?

how are the gospel records?