Laptops on the train, a bad look?

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I don't mean on the commuter rail on the long trip out to the suburbs, I'm talking about the subway. In principle, I guess I'm fine with it, as long as the train isn't real crowded. I'm more worried for the dude with the computer. Yesterday on the way home this dude busted out his macbook pro and was doing some shit. This dude sitting behind him craned his neck to see what was on the guy's screen. He just saw something interesting, but had the guy had grimy intentions, it would have been easy for him to snatch that thing off dude's lap and go right out the door. The NAGL part for me came that same day on the way to work. This dude is posted up on the train. Laptop on his lap. Watching a movie with the sound blaring out like it was nothing! Headphones, homie, headphones! To make matters worse, he was watching the damn Chipmunks movie! Argggh. I had to switch cars. Do people do this a lot where yall are at?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    There's one or two on my line who do it.
    I get irrationally bugged if they're watching a movie; I think wait til you get home, lay out on the settee, chill with a drink and some nibbles.

Even worse if they are doing work. Feel like you should leave your work at the company door. You're on your way home. Read the paper, a book, do the crossword, have a sleep. For fricks sake don't be working. The world won't stop spinning because your spreadsheet ain't finished.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    a laptop has no place on a subway.

the way i see it...you're asking to get vamped

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I wouldn't use a laptop on the train for the same reason I wouldn't eat a chicken dinner on the train. Both activities are just too damn involving, take up space, and can be very sloppy if you're not in an enclosed area with a table. If you had to evacuate the train, you couldn't just get up and go, you gotta log out and all this other extraneous shit.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    a laptop has no place on a subway.

the way i see it...you're asking to get vamped

That's what I'm saying. It's so easy to just swipe your shit.

If someone's not bothering anybody, I guess I'm not mad. With that Chipmunks fool, I wanted to take his computer and smash it into his face like a pie. C'mon dog, on the morning train? fuck outta here.

With the business type dudes it's weird because you would think they would have an ill smartphone or blackberry and could handle their biz on that. Are these laptop people doing detailed graphic design work on the train?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Are these laptop people doing detailed graphic design work on the train?

no, those people are the ones who went to Pratt and are too cool to own a mac outside of work. plus they don't take public transit, only bikes. it makes them feel as if they've been more a part of the city [than the 'others'] while riding across the brooklyn bridge from their gig in manhattan.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've thought about breakin out my Laptop on the subway. Even w/ the surface crime rate kinda low compared to the Guardian Angels era im from, im still hesitant to have it out.

Uptown, you occasionally see a cat w/ his cheap dvd player w/ some bootleg kung fu movies playin, or some cat watchin some Tyler Perry joint w/ his headphones on. If sound is in the headphones, i dont really see the difference from the Ipod movie watcher or the PSP player. Mad people rock 'em on the subway.
    The odds of gettin str8 vicked during rush hours is slim.

FOOD ON THE TRAIN IS MUTHAFUCKIN NO-NO!!! MUTHAFUCKAS W/ THE CHICKEN THREE PIECE OR THE YUPPIE BATCH SPREADIN CREAM CHEEZE ON HER BAGEL WHILE SHE BALANCES HER LATTE OR THE MCDONALDS PANCAKE BREAKFAST(POURIN SYRUP AND SHIT) IS STR8 VIOLATION.
    I DONT WANNA SMELL YOUR PLASTIC FOOD. FUCK YO BABIES,LET THEM STARVE!

No Hijack.

If dudes could walk around w/ a boombox in the 80's, i dont really see that much of a jump w/ laptops.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I used to ride in on the Metra commuter train and would always get depressed seeing business folks already looking dead inside rocking the spreadsheet on the laptop.

Pulling out a Macbook on the el is asking to get mugged.