Does Anyone Read Goldmine?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Ever? Anyone? What about Discoveries?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For starters, I think Discoveries went out of business a few years ago.

Goldmine is just plain dull, although older editions from 1979-84 are a wealth of readable info (I haven't seen any issues from before then).

Strangely enough, even though I know Goldmine still exists, I don't see it anymore. And in a city as big as Chicago, that's saying something. Most of the places that used to carry it either stopped (Borders) or closed down altogether (Tower).

And to a lesser extent, I think Mojo may have stolen their thunder, even though their quality has been dipping in the past few years.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    And to a lesser extent, I think Mojo may have stolen their thunder, even though their quality has been dipping in the past few years.

Eh. I don't think the similarities are large enough to wrap the demise of Goldmine into the rise of Mojo.

The huge difference being that Goldmine was THE record collecting mag before the internuts took over... half the reason you'd buy it would be for the ads (to buy/trade/sell rare wax), and the articles are often far nerdier in regards to collector minutia than anything you'd find in a 'normal' music rag.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ever? Anyone? What about Discoveries?

They were giving out the current ish (GM that is) at a record show I went to last year - it was okay. I wouldn't bother buying it in 2008.

Eh. I don't think the similarities are large enough to wrap the demise of Goldmine into the rise of Mojo.

I meant MOJO's quality has been dipping lately. Like Goldmine, Mojo was once a good place to read about esoteric artists from the past that wouldn't be covered by the mainstream media. But in the past three or four years, they too have been losing steam, IMO.

Goldmine lost their excitement long, long ago. Like I said, their best issues were from the 1979-84 era; then they went biweekly and boring. In the nineties, I used to pick up Goldmine, turn to Cub Koda's column, read it, then put it back down without buying it. Koda's "Vinyl Junkie" feature was the only good thing about that magazine by then.

The huge difference being that Goldmine was THE record collecting mag before the internuts took over... half the reason you'd buy it would be for the ads (to buy/trade/sell rare wax), and the articles are often far nerdier in regards to collector minutia than anything you'd find in a 'normal' music rag.

I never considered Mojo a "normal" music rag (although it looks like they're trying to become one), and the ads in Goldmine were always #2 behind the articles for me.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I used to read Goldmine infrequently, along with Discoveries. I think the net is the main killer regarding both those publications, I used to like the US slant they gave as opposed to something like Record Collector. Maybe Goldmine/Discoveries readership has dwindled because their readers just died, I mean, there aren't as many DooWop/Rock & Roll collectros as their used to be & I'm wondering if those mags did enough to attract the newer collector audience. I buy Mojo from time to time, they have definitely slipped though & I fin myself finding less & less of interest in the mag. Uncut is even worse for me too.

Maybe Goldmine/Discoveries readership has dwindled because their readers just died, I mean, there aren't as many DooWop/Rock & Roll collectros as their used to be & I'm wondering if those mags did enough to attract the newer collector audience.

To their credit, both magazines went well out of their way to attract different kinds of genres and subgenres, but the '50s/'60s oldies market remained their bread and butter. I do see younger folks coming up collecting old rockabilly, garage-rock, R&B, etc.. But definitely not doo-wop. Most of the people still alive who are passionate about the Harptones and the Crows probably bought all that stuff already, 30-40 years ago.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    THAT MONO DAVE CLARK FIVE I TRADED YOU BOOKS FOR SIXTY BUCKS IN THE NEW GOLDMINE YOU LYING COCKSUCKER!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It always surprises me the easy availability of 'Record Collector' over here. I can get it in probably 20% of newsagents shops.

But how many Manfred Mann discographies or Simple Minds raer appreciations do you need?

It obviously fills a need.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I used to read Goldmine all the time, and to a lesser extent I read Discoveries too. Like a few other people have said, the internet and eBay kind of eliminated my main reason for reading those mags: the ads. There were some good articles in there too but back in the early to mid-90's I mostly read them for the ads. I collected a lot of import CD singles back in the day and the ads in Goldmine were the easiest way to find out what new stuff was out. I was also on the lookout for bootlegs and you could occasionally find some good listings for those too.

I actually bought records via mail auctions for the first and last time through a Goldmine ad. I spent a good bit of change probably around '98 for "We The People" by the Soul Searchers, and "Black Smith" by Jimmy Smith. Those records represented both the good and the annoying about mail auctions... The Jimmy Smith I was extremely happy with because I'd wanted it and couldn't find it in stores anywhere. The Soul Searchers...well, it's a decent record, but I was under the mistaken impression that that was the album with "Ashley's Roach Clip" and thanks to the minimal information available I ended up paying like $35 for an album without the one song I wanted. I ended up selling it on eBay years later.

And eBay...that's what really ended my frequent purchases of Goldmine and Discoveries. Suddenly I didn't have to bother with reading a bunch of ads with tiny print, scanning hundreds and hundreds of listings just to find exactly what I wanted. In '98 around the same time I won those albums by mail auction I started hitting up eBay and getting most of my hard-to-find records that way. Similarly, I got broadband internet in '98 and was able to get a lot of bootlegs for free that I'd previously been buying on CD for $20-30 a disc. There's only so many times I can read articles on the damned Beatles catalog and that's essentially what those mags boil down to when you're not dependent on the ads anymore. So...I might have bought an occasional Goldmine sometime in the past decade but it's a very occasional impulse purchase. I actually saw Goldmine at a magazine rack a couple weeks ago and it was a total time warp; I'd forgotten about the magazine entirely and was almost shocked it still existed.

It always surprises me the easy availability of 'Record Collector' over here. I can get it in probably 20% of newsagents shops.

Goldmine is from America and I hardly ever see that one anymore. In the meantime, Record Collector still stares me in the face at record and fanzine shops. Never could get into this mag, always seemed a little too dry to me.

And eBay...that's what really ended my frequent purchases of Goldmine and Discoveries.

Heh, heh...I think eBay ended Discoveries altogether!

I think that mag would have gone out of business just when eBay started to really come on strong.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Record Collector - Never could get into this mag, always seemed a little too dry to me.
    cosign

...and wouldn't you know it, last night this talk radio show was doing a whole thing on Record Store Day. People were calling in with their memories of shops they grew up buying wax at, and you know what this one guy said?

"There used to be[/b] this one magazine called Goldmine, you don't see it around anymore,[/b] but before eBay, that's where I used to[/b] get a lot of rare records!"

Wolf should have called this thread "Does Anyone Read Goldmine Anymore?"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ...and wouldn't you know it, last night this talk radio show was doing a whole thing on Record Store Day. People were calling in with their memories of shops they grew up buying wax at, and you know what this one guy said?

"There used to be[/b] this one magazine called Goldmine, you don't see it around anymore,[/b] but before eBay, that's where I used to[/b] get a lot of rare records!"

Wolf should have called this thread "Does Anyone Read Goldmine Anymore?"

This guy showed up to the record show acting all important. Said he was from Boston. Told me if I let him early he would give me a good write up in Goldmine. And I'm thinking, "does anyone read Goldmine, Anymore?". Now I know the answer;

Hell, I live in a city where they barely CARRY it anymore...

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Nobody looked at Goldmine or Discoveries for the articles.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

For me it was always the nudie flicks.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I used to read "Goldmine" religiously. To be a 13 year old and discover that magazine at a record store (in this case it was probably at Strawberry Fields Forever in Honolulu when it was on King Street, a few stores down from what was the Washington Saimin Stand), it was when I discovered that records could have value.

I would eventually write for both "Goldmine" and "Discoveries", but when my hip-hop reviews and suggested article were rejected in 1992-1993 ("because hip-hop records aren't of value"), I gave up. "Record Collector" would occasionally have an article or sidebar on electro and old school stuff, and of course a brief mention of Northern soul or obscure funk, but "Goldmine" just did not care that much. I do agree though, a lot of the articles from the 80's/early 90's were deep in information, stuff that hasn't been repeated online. I threw away tons of issues a long time ago, but still have a few.

Even though everything is centered around the internet, there are many dealers who never heard of a .com, but I don't know what their current circulation is.

I sure as hell did.

Rolling Stone or Spin weren't running regular columns devoted to Chicago soul or obscure rockabillies or old rock TV shows or hard-to-find psych LP's. Goldmine did.

Yeah, the record-sale listings were fun to look at, but for my $$$ I also like to see the bios behind these same records. Goldmine was worth looking at once upon a time, and in their prime you'd best believe it wasn't all about the ads.

Discoveries was okay, not a classic but it had its' moments.

I used to read "Goldmine" religiously. To be a 13 year old and discover that magazine at a record store (in this case it was probably at Strawberry Fields Forever in Honolulu when it was on King Street, a few stores down from what was the Washington Saimin Stand), it was when I discovered that here was a mag where I could read about folks I only knew from oldies radio, bargain bins and used stores.[/b]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I read Goldmine from about '84 - 92. Discoveries from it's inception till... I think it was bought by Goldmine about the same time I quit reading Goldmine.

I read them mostly for the articles. I bought very few records from the ads. I did read set sale ads to get a feel for values. When I threw out all my 80s Goldmines I clipped all the discogs first and put them into notebooks in alpha order.

About '91 me and 2 other guys got a fed ex subscription in an attempt to be the first to see the ads. That didn't really pan out.

Both Goldmine (Umphred) and Osbourne (Discoveries) price guides went through a great many printings before they started to include soul artists. There was always a note in the front of the guide saying they were working on a soul price guide to be coming soon. But then there would be a C&W guide, and a jazz guide and a soundtrack guide then the rock pop guide again and never was there a soul guide.

I have had 2 "journalists" ask me for bribes in exchange for good write ups. Is this common?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    here was a mag where I could read about folks I only knew from oldies radio, bargain bins, used stores, and local soup kitchens[/b]

Exactly.