ESG first lp

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    well, i would have bought it for $35. all their stuff are total white whales for me. i see liquid liquid once in a while, but ESG nevar.

That Bush Tetras 7" (which I would argue is the best thing on 99 after ESG and Liquid Liquid) is pretty easy to find, though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I first heard of them from a book a friend* gave me that belonged to her mom. It was about new, exciting and groundbreaking bands. Each page was dedicated to an group/artist with their photo and little interview. It had everyone from ESG, Bad Brains, Nina Hagen and Dead Kennedys to James White and The Blacks, The Birthday Party, Lene Lovich and Bauhaus in it. The Nico blurb consisted of her talking about being in an acting class with Marilyn Monroe and how Monroe would wet herself. I wonder if Nico ever said anything half-way to happy in her life.

The Vivien Goldman 45 is a favourite, not just 99 record, but all-time record. I had it only on cassette for yrs until Good Records came to the rescue!

*She was a trashy rocker chick defined: took acid under her eye-lids, hung out with bikers AND cops and dated guys at least seven yrs older than her. She gave me the book because she thought I would be into the "weird" bands - lol - and her mom had broken up with the guy who gave her the book. The dude's little dedication note was on the title page and everything.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Jonny, I stand corrected. This album rocks. Vocals (if you can call them that) and all.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    I listened to this today again because of this thread. I obviously own it because of UFO but I like the live side, the vocals are great! especially on earn it.

• I like all sides of this record and the cover.

ESG is the truth. And what he said ^^^

• I'm really not trying to be all chinstroke record store dude but I can't really imagine listening to ESG and saying "I find the vocals annoying" when there is a saw being played to sound like horror flick theme music and the drums are punching you in the chest and the bass sounds like it's being played with a tombstone for a pick.

ha! that poast reminded me of this

P.S.

I know I need to go and check these girls out because I've never heard an entire song by them (AMES HERBERT NAGL! ) and I think I would love it since i've been checking for "punk funk/no wave" little by little. J