NYC flea markets and car boot sales

SoundclashSoundclash 77 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hello all,I will be visiting NYC in a couple of weeks. I already have gathered info about record shops in both Manhattan and Brooklyn but still need some tips on flea markets with records and other similar places like car boot sales. I am especially interested in non so touristic markets, places where locals would go to or just areas where people often just put their stuff for sale in front of their doors...I??ve heard of a brand new flea market in the Fort Greene area but the comments on it are not so positive...I very much appreciate your help in advance!!Javi

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    yeah
    we'll give up all the dope spots to some momo limey wth 9 posts
    gtfoohwtb

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    yeah
    gtfoohwtb

With record shops closing all around us you'd think you'd want to be a little more helpful.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    yeah
    gtfoohwtb

With record shops closing all around us you'd think you'd want to be a little more helpful.

i'd be giving up the goods if i was in nyc.

• yeah
    gtfoohwtb

If you check my old posts you??ll see I??ve been happy to share my knowledge and point others visiting Barcelona to the right places. I think sharing info is what mainly this forum is about and I am willing to contribute every time I feel I have something interesting to share.

Unfortunately for me, very often discussions are about local themes or simply non jazz, soul, funk related, which is my main interest. Therefore I just don??t post.

No matter how many posts you have, attitudes like yours do not help this forum at all, son.

Javi

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    May or may not be happening, but try one block north of st. marks on 2 avenue in Manhattan on Saturday/Sunday.

• Thanx!!!!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Too, it seems logical that, with the gradual disappearance of Manhattan???s venerable Chelsea flea markets, their locations mostly lost to development (even the Antiques Garage on 25th street will reportedly be closed by November) something would eventually appear to fill the emptiness left in New Yorkers??? Sunday morning lives.

This is what I was gonna say, almost none of the spots in the city I used to hit are still around, so much construction.

Anyone hit the Brooklyn flea in the article?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Flea markets in Manhattan:

25th/6th
    16th/6th
    Hells Kitchen (don't know the exact streets, google it)

They all are very hit or miss and are barely shadows of the storied old Chelsea market (4 full lots!) or Grand Street... and the Avenue A/11th Street market (is this what Hemol was referring to?) is long closed.

Even a guy like me who sells records for a living now prioritizes sleep and breakfast far, far above scavenging the fleas here... although things do turn up from time to time.

Waiting for reports on the Fort Greene flea, also there's a sometimey flea in Park Slope that sometimes has records. 4th Avenue, can't recall the cross street.

As far as "places the locals congregate" and whatnot, there's no mythical flea of the downtrodden, free of tourists and speculators, with rare 7"s and West 63rd Blue Notes hidden under chicken coops or some such. There are most certainly local neighborhood fleas in the boroughs, in Jersey, Long Island, and wherever else... most of which are controlled by local dealers who are into the goods long before anyone else. But you'll have to do your own research on that note.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    As far as "places the locals congregate" and whatnot, there's no mythical flea of the downtrodden, free of tourists and speculators, with rare 7"s and West 63rd Blue Notes hidden under chicken coops or some such.

Bring a bunch of cash to 149th Grand Concourse. Ill have some special tourguides take you to a very special place.....Its near Vick St on the corner of Jack and Robert Aves.

-------

• As for the Brooklyn Flea market, i couldn't get through the throngs of people pillaging Small Change's and SportCasual's purged records, probably a few thousand records.
    but i'll bet those guys have some good leftovers....

-------

No doubt. That some Webster shit.

There are still a gang of beat-up street record peddlers around town.
    There is ALWAYS a couple of dudes sellin shit on 72nd and Bway, along w/ bad books and old Playboys. Its usually the worst of the common bin trash. Ive never copped from these dudes but if they are scavangeing in the Lincoln Center area someone is bound to come up w/ some decent Classical/Jazz.

I dont fux w/ that.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Bring a bunch of cash to 149th Grand Concourse. Ill have some special tourguides take you to a very special place.....Its near Vick St on the corner of Jack and Robert Aves.

there's nothing special about 149th anymore. you're livin in the past.

lol dude who are you telling

there's nothing special about 149th anymore. you're livin in the past.

This was pure fantasy bro I wasnt being serious.

But I can tell by your tone your crazy disconnected.

"veteran of the 4-train strain!"

"veteran of the 4-train strain!"

haha...along w/ Ced-Gee who i see on the regular at 149th.

haha, gotcha.

-------- #1 stain on the train [livin in the past]

haha, gotcha.
    -------- #1 stain on the train [livin in the past]

U got Polo cologne?

only egyptian musk & baby powder

only egyptian musk & baby powder

U mix it in the same bottle?

no

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Nah, Jp, it's a different one. It's on second avenue where that church is on 9th or 10th. I don't remember the name of it, and it was towards the end of Fall, but i hit it up and there were a few dudes with records. I scored some decent stuff, left a lot behind. They were saying that it was a trial run, and the curch was gonna see how it goes. I'd imagine that they'd be firing it up about now if it is going to be a fixture. Hit me up in Florida for the real deal flea market structures.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I scored some decent stuff, left a lot behind.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i went to that fort greene flea. was looking forward to meeting mr. sport casual but didnt know he was sharing a table with small change.

all my dudes keep asking me "did you hit up the new fort greene thing? is it good? is it good?". then when i give them my opinion they get a little suspicious, like i'm not telling them the truth. look, it's a great time. when they get some Mexican food trucks like the ones doing Red Hook weekend soccer it will be even better. but do not think that Grandpa Cosby is going to haul his Strata East collection 8 blocks for the indignity of a $75 table charge.

Soundclash guy, i'd advise you to hit it up on a warm Sunday. it reminds me of Camden Market in a way. but don't come to NYC with the idea that you will get amazing records on a street corner for $1. enjoy the city for what it is, and do the heavy shopping at GRNYC or Academy. the dollar is in the shitter right now, you will end up getting far better prices than at home.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i went to that fort greene flea. was looking forward to meeting mr. sport casual but didnt know he was sharing a table with small change.

I had a one-car crash while parking that managed to blow out my back window , so I didn't get to sell. will be there in the next few though

• Thanks everyone for the info!!

I will definetely visit Jonny??s Good Records shop in first place!! cheers mate!

Regarding the Fort Greene flea, I??ll be staying very near there, so I??ll hit it up anyway despite it doesn??t look the kind of flea I enjoy going to. That Camden market comparison is so spot on!!

I will try and write some sort of report when I??m back home.

Javi

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    if in NJ, try to avoid dentally-perfect, tanned Horshack-lookalike Brit-hating xenophobes toting vaseline-smeared cameras and babbling endlessly about not getting sonned by fryer, pausing only to shout at random passers-by, "you got Tolbert? Have you? Hmm?"

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    WELL CHUFFED