CHIRP record fair

young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
any illinois citizens attending this?http://chicagoindependentradioproject.org/recordfair

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I plan to be on the scene.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'll be spinning there tomorrow.

And he was there spending wads of money today![/b] (((grin)))

Just got back myself, spinning some of my finds before I step back out.

Just got through this weird 1976 Solomon Burke single on Chess where he's trying to sing like Sugarfoot from the Ohio Players. On both sides. Here is one of the richest southern soul vocalists we have, with a creamy bass-baritone, and evidently he must have needed a hit real bad 'cause on this record he's shuffling out here with that bizarre sideways singing voice that the Ohio Players, Earth Wind & Fire, Brother To Brother, the Commodores ("Brick House") and all them other funk bands used. You're half expecting the man to start singing "yowww" or "brick...HOUSE" or "say WHAT!" Got it for a buck (maybe less). It's "I'll Never Stop Loving You"/"The Do Right Song," if you see it in the field cheap and want a good laugh. (And on "I'll Never Stop...", he even gives out the number of All Platinum Records!)

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

• chrischris 287 Posts
    is right.
    $25 for early-bird?! i bought 2 records last year.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    is right.
    $25 for early-bird?! i bought 2 records last year.

And you have to get up 2 hours earlier for those 2 records. Records fairs suck, unless you need some VG Beatles such-and-such.

"Artists" like me get in for free. Hell: if I'm accepted as an artist, then grits might not actually be groceries.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

And he was there spending wads of money today![/b] (((grin)))

Incredibly untrue. The most expensive single item I got was that late, odd Jimmy Reed - $5.

• went today, found some cool stuff. as soon as I walked in I could smell the strong scent of body odor. for the most part it was full of smelly collectros and hipsters but I found some cool shit. Plus Yea Big + Kid Static played and they are well good.

One thing I'll say about CHIRP (formerly known as the WLUW Record Fair) - that's the most females I've seen at a record convention ever. And I don't mean the usual 5%, I mean a full 50/50.

• One thing I'll say about CHIRP (formerly known as the WLUW Record Fair) - that's the most females I've seen at a record convention ever. And I don't mean the usual 5%, I mean a full 50/50.

word........

p.s. 750 dollar sun ra record..

grab & run