Producer Strut: Laptop recommendations?

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm looking to buy a laptop that can handle running sequencing software for .wav heavy tracks, most likely cubase. I'm not sure how much dsp I'll be using, but I'm thinking light on efx plug-ins, more focus on midi instrumentation.Just trying to extend the question out there, what do you use for your portable options?Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rfbutterrfbutter 49 Posts
    I'm not sure if you're PC or mac but I found a used powerbook for $850 that I use for Protools, Microwave, Ableton, Reason etc. Non-Intel macs are soooo cheap right now and the last few they dropped are quite fast.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    if you're intensive on the processor and that either macbook or macbook pro... I'm thinkin' the pro....

b

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Intel Macbook all the way.

If you're light on the DSP most anything out there should serve you pretty darn well. I run Logic on a Powerbook G4 just fine, though I wouldn't trust it for live use.

• Options
    I just got the new macbook pro intel 2.4, Frickin' in love with it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ive got a macbook pro 2.33ghz 2 gigs of ram and im running out of juice just running guitar rig. Suxors.

But i mean, it worked pretty well when i got it like 5 months ago. And it runs alot smoother than a comparable pc would, but they are so expensive.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm not sure if you're PC or mac but I found a used powerbook for $850 that I use for Protools, Microwave, Ableton, Reason etc. Non-Intel macs are soooo cheap right now and the last few they dropped are quite fast.
    why the hell would you pay $850 for a powerbook when a few hundred more can get you a macbook that will run circles around it?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    mac book pro all the way IMHO. i love mine, run pro tools and microwave. good shite.

• Options
    ive got a macbook pro 2.33ghz 2 gigs of ram and im running out of juice just running guitar rig. Suxors.

But i mean, it worked pretty well when i got it like 5 months ago. And it runs alot smoother than a comparable pc would, but they are so expensive.

Word? The dude at the mac store told me its 850 to install 2 more gigs of ram

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    www.newegg.com

do it yourself for about $200 or more....

• Options
    www.newegg.com

do it yourself for about $200 or more....

Thanks! I am afraid to take it apart though. Ive done about 20 mac mini ram installs at work though. Which you need spackle knifes to do. So maybe I can handle this.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    installing ram on a mac laptop is easy. look up a tutorial on youtube. takes about 5 minutes.

buy some RAM online, instead of with your computer at apple, and save $100 plus.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they detail how to install ram with the product manuals

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Word. Thanks again to all the posters in this thread. It's going to be sooo nice, just throwing down a little laptop next to the turntable when it's time to burn. You don't even wanna know how I'm I'm burning vinyl to data right now.

, indeed