Anybody Seen Gil Scott-Heron Recently?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I tripped over a flyer on the sidewalk today saying he'll be performing here at World Cafe Live next Sunday.Has anybody had a chance to see him in the last however long?My initial thought is that I'll regret not going while he's still with us, at any cost...

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'd go just to go.

I've told this story on the Strut before, but it bears repeating. The one time I saw him was ten years ago, and already he was starting to coast. No more scintillating stage raps like on that PBS special (issued on video and/or DVD as Black Wax). The band was taking long, long solos while Gil went off into the wings to take a nap. I'm not trying to signify, but he was obviously sidetracked by something.

Not one of the better shows, but for the reason you mentioned:
    I'll regret not going while he's still with us
    , I'd check him out anyway. Hopefully you'll get a better show that what I saw!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i saw him several times in philly about ten years ago and i didnt have the best experiences. but mainly cause i was trying to catch a hype set and instead i get one with him just doing a monologue the whole time and another with real chill songs. he always did two shows a nite and id have to guess which one he'd be hype at. i always missed the set with "the bottle"

still. glad to support (i wont ask what)

• saw him about 5 years ago in new york, it was great!

• saw him about 5 years ago in new york, it was great!

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    I've heard that he can barely sing anymore because of drug-related issues (teeth missing etc.)

Live performance from january.... talk about butching a classic

• even without teeth, hooked on crack and obviously ill, he is a force of nature.

while his vocal range has shrunken and become grittier, he can still deliver on the tunes and the dude has still got a great sense of humour.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    That video...yikes... For $30, plus processing fee, I might have to sit this one out.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    he ain't gonna be around 4ever
    you shouldn't let 35 dollars deter you

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    That video...yikes... For $30, plus processing fee, I might have to sit this one out.

I would go if it's a smaller venue (I have seen him twice before at Blues Alley in DC-spendy but VERY intimate venue, maybe seats like 150-200 people), and that was out of 3 times I had tickets, the last time he was a no-show, and his band was there waiting for him.

I have shared this here before, but he is still engaging, even with dental problems impairing his singing (first time I saw him, this was not yet a problem), and his bands are pretty great. And if Brian Jackson is with him(they were together on the first show I saw-what a contrast), then GO. Brian is still vibrant and together, and a real unsung musical talent, the very definition of 'underrated'. Gil is in DC next week at the 9:30 club, and it's a bit too large for me to see him being very effectual in anymore, but I do hope I am wrong. I just found out about it last week.

Any DC ticketholders?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've heard that he can barely sing anymore because of drug-related issues (teeth missing etc.)

Live performance from january.... talk about butching a classic

damn...sounds like the band is doing "the bottle"

and GIL is doing "lady day & john coltrane" (plus something else better left unsaid)

and they're trying in vain to meet each other in the middle - WTF?

• That video...yikes... For $30, plus processing fee, I might have to sit this one out.

I would go if it's a smaller venue (I have seen him twice before at Blues Alley in DC-spendy but VERY intimate venue, maybe seats like 150-200 people), and that was out of 3 times I had tickets, the last time he was a no-show, and his band was there waiting for him.

I have shared this here before, but he is still engaging, even with dental problems impairing his singing (first time I saw him, this was not yet a problem), and his bands are pretty great. And if Brian Jackson is with him(they were together on the first show I saw-what a contrast), then GO. Brian is still vibrant and together, and a real unsung musical talent, the very definition of 'underrated'. Gil is in DC next week at the 9:30 club, and it's a bit too large for me to see him being very effectual in anymore, but I do hope I am wrong. I just found out about it last week.

Any DC ticketholders?

I really wish I could go but I'm DJing that night. Unhappy face.