Country Murder Ballads

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Can anyone recommend any folk, blues or country albums/artists that are dark and gothic sounding? Not Johnny Cash please. I'm looking for that kind of grim backwoodsy country/folk/blues ish with storytelling jawns about revenge, jealousy, contempt and the like, lyrics like taking the wifey to the woods and chopping her hands off or finding the body of the local farmer with his head missing, Leadbelly's 'In the Pines' is basically the gist of itany recommendations are appreciated

Comments

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    OOOOH. good thread. I wish I had some recommendations for you. I'd like to hear these too!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    "Jesse's Corrido" comes to mind. Utah Phillips wrote it, but Rosalle Sorrels does a beautiful acapella version (on Folkways, allthingsrecordrelated). Not from the point of view of storytelling, but from real life shit.

Our fathers, they say, were just like us;
    Our children will all be the same -
    Hair like black leather and skin brown as wood,
    Speaking a low Spanish name.

Remember our mothers who gave us our lives,
    Like grass in the spring of their years?
    They left us behind with hearts light as wine,
    Their breasts undissolved in our tears.

The things that I do are all very bad things;
    I do them and then don't know why.
    You hold up your sons with their blue or brown eyes
    And tell me they're better than I.

My friends, they too all despise me;
    I do all the wrong they had planned;
    And all that I have for the years of my life
    Is a cross that I've carved on my hand.

They put me in jail behind iron bars,
    You'll find me with blood on my hands;
    And tomorrow I'll stand up in front of the guns
    And I'll give you the life you demand.

But tonight, as you sit at your table,
    With your wife and your child close by,
    Remember this corrido my young blood has made.
    And now, mi amigos, goodbye.

Utah Phillips wrote about this song in his songbook, Starlight On The Rails:

When Ammon Hennacy first came to Salt Lake, it was to do a number of things - to set up the Joe Hill House, to picket the Federal Building concerning war taxes, to talk, picket and leaflet about Hiroshima, and to protest against capital punishment.
    When Ammon came to Salt Lake there was a boy named Jesse Garcia on death row. He had originally been put in the penitentiary on a murder rap when he was 16 years old. Jesse had been as close to being an orphan as you can get, battered around from family to family. He got into a lot of trouble and had a pretty ugly life.
    There was a big sex and dope scandal at the state penitentiary. Evidently one of the convicts had a very loose lip, so the king con, Billy Randall, suggested that Jake Varner ought to be killed. Varner was found up in the attic of the penitentiary with slash marks on his throat.
    Jesse Garcia was just a kid - he was used by the other cons. He was used sexually, he was used to do their dirty work. He was a patsy - he didn't know what was going on. During the murder, Billy Randall locked himself in his cell so that he was clear. He turned in state's evidence. He finally had to be transferred to another penitentiary because he couldn't have stayed alive there any longer.
    It was a long, ugly trial when all this came out about the drugs and the sex. In the end, three boys - Rivenberg, Bowen and Garcia - were found guilty and sentenced to death. Now it's not that we thought that these folks should be turned loose on the street. We wanted the death sentence commuted to life. We just didn't think they ought to be killed.
    Ethel C. Hale, a fine radical, started the Life for Garcia Committee. Ammon Hennacy was very much involved, and I was writing songs we would sing up on the steps of the state capitol during rallies. But all appeals to the Board of Pardons failed to get the death sentence commuted.
    It came time for the execution. Ammon decided there should be an all?night vigil on the road by Point of the Mountain, where the penitentiary is. We would be there with our picket signs when the sun came up, and would hear the sound of the guns. I'd been involved for so long that I didn't want to do that. I just couldn't see any sense in it. So I stayed home, and along about midnight I wrote the song for Jesse Garcia.
    Sometime during the night Rivenberg committed suicide. The Board of Pardons met in emergency session and decided that they had their pound of flesh. So, just before sunrise, Jesse's sentence was commuted.
    A court psychiatrist during the trial had said that Jesse was a dumb kid, that he couldn't be educated, that he would have to be institutionalized all his life. A very fine Swiss professor teaching at the University of Utah, named Dr. Wieler, spent hours and hours with Jesse from the time his sentence was commuted, taking him through grade school and high school, and Jesse learned a hell of a lot. He can learn, he's bright, he knows what he's doing. It's my understanding that, in spite of this, Jesse Garcia has been in solitary confinement since 1961.

Another good song of the same vein is Bob Dylan's "Ballad of Hollis Brown", which Nina Simone covered if you're offended by Dylan's voice.

Hollis Brown
    He lived on the outside of town
    Hollis Brown
    He lived on the outside of town
    With his wife and five children
    And his cabin fallin' down

You looked for work and money
    And you walked a rugged mile
    You looked for work and money
    And you walked a rugged mile
    Your children are so hungry
    That they don't know how to smile

Your baby's eyes look crazy
    They're a-tuggin' at your sleeve
    Your baby's eyes look crazy
    They're a-tuggin' at your sleeve
    You walk the floor and wonder why
    With every breath you breathe

The rats have got your flour
    Bad blood it got your mare
    The rats have got your flour
    Bad blood it got your mare
    If there's anyone that knows
    Is there anyone that cares?

You prayed to the Lord above
    Oh please send you a friend
    You prayed to the Lord above
    Oh please send you a friend
    Your empty pockets tell yuh
    That you ain't a-got no friend

Your babies are crying louder
    It's pounding on your brain
    Your babies are crying louder
    It's pounding on your brain
    Your wife's screams are stabbin' you
    Like the dirty drivin' rain

Your grass it is turning black
    There's no water in your well
    Your grass is turning black
    There's no water in your well
    You spent your last lone dollar
    On seven shotgun shells

Way out in the wilderness
    A cold coyote calls
    Way out in the wilderness
    A cold coyote calls
    Your eyes fix on the shotgun
    That's hangin' on the wall

Your brain is a-bleedin'
    And your legs can't seem to stand
    Your brain is a-bleedin'
    And your legs can't seem to stand
    Your eyes fix on the shotgun
    That you're holdin' in your hand

There's seven breezes a-blowin'
    All around the cabin door
    There's seven breezes a-blowin'
    All around the cabin door
    Seven shots ring out
    Like the ocean's pounding roar

There's seven people dead
    On a South Dakota farm
    There's seven people dead
    On a South Dakota farm
    Somewhere in the distance
    There's seven new people born

I'd also personally recommend you go see Judith & Holofernes the next time they play in San Francisco, as 90% of their songs are murder/suicide ballads:

"Throw Your Skinny Body Down"

The cold grey ocean is calling you
    To throw yourself into it

So why don't you?

(Someone DJ Neta knows made a video for the song)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what about lefty frizzell's "long black veil"? it's sorta wussy, but great all the same. or "come all ye tender hearted" by the stanley brothers... most morbid song ever. check it out http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/AlbumDetails.aspx?ID=231
    if you like the "in the pines" song, also see roscoe holcomb's version... "louis collins" by mississippi john hurt is fucking fantastic, but might be more delta blues than country, and in delta blues, every song is about killing something.

• "Knoxville Girl"[/b] is a song that nearly defines the genre...

I would recommend the Wilburn Brothers version 1st and the Louvin

Brothers version 2nd.

It will give you the willies...

I met a little girl in Knoxville

A town we all know well

And every sunday evening

In her home I'd dwell

We went to take an evening walk

About a mile from town

I picked a stick up off the ground

And I knocked that fair girl down

She fell down on her bended knees

For mercy she did cry

"Oh Willy, dear, don't kill me yet

I'm unprepared to die"

She never spoke another word

I only beat her more

Until the ground around me

With her blood did flow

I took her by her golden curls

And I dragged her 'round and 'round

Throwing her into the river

That flows from Knoxville town

Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl

With your dark and roving eyes

Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl

You can never be my bride

I started back to Knoxville

Got there about midnight

My mother, she was worried

She woke up in a fright

Saying, "Dear son, what have you done

To bloody up your clothes?"

I told my anxious mother

That I was bleading in my nose

I called for me a candle

And I called for me a bed

And I called for me a handkerchief

To bind my aching head

I rolled and thrashed the whole night through

All horrors I did see

The devil stood at the foot of my bed

Pointing his finger at me

They carried me down to Knoxville

And put me in a cell

My friends all tried to get me out

But none could go my bail

I'm here to waste my life away

Down in this dirty old jail

Because I murdered that Knoxville girl

The girl I loved so well.

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

Not really country murder ballads, but this guy is certainly backwoodsy, paranoid, and creepy (and recently mentioned in another thread?)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Not really country murder ballads, but this guy is certainly backwoodsy, paranoid, and creepy (and recently mentioned in another thread?)

exactly.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Can anyone recommend any folk, blues or country albums/artists that are dark and gothic sounding? Not Johnny Cash please. I'm looking for that kind of grim backwoodsy country/folk/blues ish with storytelling jawns about revenge, jealousy, contempt and the like, lyrics like taking the wifey to the woods and chopping her hands off or finding the body of the local farmer with his head missing,

Leadbelly's 'In the Pines' is basically the gist of it

any recommendations are appreciated

Kristin Hersh, of Throwing Muses, fame recorded an album of covers that may prove compellin' if you're into that aesthetic -

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/h/hersh_kristin/murder-misery-and-then-goodnight.shtml

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As far as straight country-folk (no blues or other etcetera) I'd go with Dock Boggs. His compilation on the Revenant label is on the money.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Can anyone recommend any folk, blues or country albums/artists that are dark and gothic sounding? Not Johnny Cash please. I'm looking for that kind of grim backwoodsy country/folk/blues ish with storytelling jawns about revenge, jealousy, contempt and the like, lyrics like taking the wifey to the woods and chopping her hands off or finding the body of the local farmer with his head missing,

"long black veil" is a great one... skip james is great (and mental)...
    any Leadbelly is great... any hank williams is great, tho he's more kinda woe is me spooky imagrey than bodys in the woods:

We met in the springtime when blossoms unfold
    The pastures were green and the meadows were gold
    Our love was in flower as summer grew on
    Her love like the leaves now has withered and gone.

The roses have faded, there???s frost at my door
    The birds in the morning don???t sing anymore
    The grass in the valley is starting to die
    And out in the darkness the whippoorwills cry.

Refrain
    Alone and forsaken by fate and by man
    Oh, lord, if you hear me please hold to my hand
    Oh, please understand.

Oh, where has she gone to, oh, where can she be
    She may have forsaken some other like me
    She promised to honor, to love and obey
    Each vow was a plaything that she threw away.

The darkness is falling, the sky has turned gray
    A hound in the distance is starting to "bay"
    I wonder, I wonder - what she???s thinking of
    Forsaken, forgotten - without any love.

for real great country ballads:

Down in the Willow garden
    Where me and my love did meet
    As we sat a-courtin'
    My love fell off to sleep
    I had a bottle of Burgundy wine
    My love she did not know
    So I poisoned that dear little girl
    On the banks below

I drew a sabre through her
    It was a bloody knife
    I threw her in the river
    Which was a dreadful sign
    My father often told me
    That money would set me free
    If I would murder that dear little girl
    Whose name was Rose Connolly

My father sits at his cabin door
    Wiping his tear-dimmed eyes
    For his only son soon shall walk
    To yonder scaffold high
    My race is run, beneath the sun
    The scaffold now waits for me
    For I did murder that dear little girl
    Whose name was Rose Connelly

also, early howlin wolf like "down at the bottom", "i asked for water, she gave me gasoline" or "somebody in my home" have that vibe (which makes sense b/c he learned to play from Robert Johnson and those other Delta guys)

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    As far as straight country-folk (no blues or other etcetera) I'd go with Dock Boggs. His compilation on the Revenant label is on the money.

Yes. He does that Pretty Polly song which is the definition of a murder ballad. That song's also on the Sweetheart of the Rodeo album by the Byrds.

• Can anyone recommend any folk, blues or country albums/artists that are dark and gothic sounding? Not Johnny Cash please. I'm looking for that kind of grim backwoodsy country/folk/blues ish with storytelling jawns about revenge, jealousy, contempt and the like, lyrics like taking the wifey to the woods and chopping her hands off or finding the body of the local farmer with his head missing,

A little more modern, but Sixteen Horsepower are great for that murder in the kudzu vibe. Low Estate is creepy like the abandoned farmhouse up the road that nobody wants to go near.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002GP5/qid=1121274940/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_ur_4/104-0317795-6346318?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Also just heard these guys

http://www.smoochrecords.com/bands/munly.html

They have a song called "Another Song about Jesus, a Wedding Sheet and a Bowie Knife" which is

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Best ever:

Porter Wagoner's The Cold Hard Facts of Life

About a guy who comes home from a trip early, stops in at a liquor store to grab a nice bottle for his wife as a surprise, hears some dude in line talking about "Her husband's out of towm/and there's a Party/He winked as if to say 'you know the rest'", so he follows dude out of the parking lot and the guy pulls into HIS DRIVEWAY. So he stabs his wife and her lover and laments from his cell "I guess I'll go to Hell/or rot here in this cell/but who taught who the Cold Hard Facts of Life".

• oosouloosoul 2 Posts
    yeah doc boggs is amazing. the charlie feathers compilation on revenant is also pretty good for some weird ass backwoods ish. if you can get your hands on any rev. gary davis (sometimes blind gary davis) he's also a winner, i don't recall any murder ballads per se but "you've got to go down" is a killer.

i dunno if anyone i used to talk with in here is still here. but hey if you are.
    if you don't know me my name's chazz and in portland, or. peace.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I posted a sound clip of Judy Collins doing Pretty Polly a few weeks ago.

Leon Russell also did a a haunting contemporary version of Hollis Brown.

The Stapel Singers do a haunting version of Bob Dylan's John Brown. Very Relevant today, about a soldier who steps on a mine and has to rethink the meaning of life. It was first released on Epic I believe.

The Stanley Brothers were the kings of this stuff. All the bluegrass greats would slow things down for a murder ballad. I remember seeing Jim & Jesse once, the did a version of Banks Of The Ohio where the murder dragged the girl through town by her hair. As a matter of fact it was listening to all that violent music that caused the Hatfield and McCoy fued.

Here are some traditional titles:
    Pretty Polly
    By The Banks Of The Ohio
    The House Carpenter
    Barbara Allen
    Wind And The Rain
    Golden Vanity
    The Cuckoo
    Rose Connelly
    Omie Wise
    Tom Dula

Artists to look for:
    Doc Boggs (as mentioned above)
    Stanley Brothers
    Bill Monroe
    Hazel (Dickens) And Alice (Gerrard)
    Doc Watson
    Sister Cunningham

There are few songs more haunting than Leadbelly's version of In The Pines, but I think the Leon Russell one and the Staple Singers one a mentioned first are goose bump raising.

An another note many gospel and blues performers have done the scary When Death Comes Creeping In The Room.

Dan

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Best ever:

About a guy who comes home from a trip early, stops in at a liquor store to grab a nice bottle for his wife as a surprise, hears some dude in line talking about "Her husband's out of towm/and there's a Party/He winked as if to say 'you know the rest'", so he follows dude out of the parking lot and the guy pulls into HIS DRIVEWAY. So he stabs his wife and her lover and laments from his cell "I guess I'll go to Hell/or rot here in this cell/but who taught who the Cold Hard Facts of Life".

http://atlantatimemachine.com/images/Cold%20Hard%20Facts%20of%20Life.mp3
    sound clip

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I'd also personally recommend you go see Judith & Holofernes the next time they play in San Francisco, as 90% of their songs are murder/suicide ballads:

"Throw Your Skinny Body Down"

The cold grey ocean is calling you
    To throw yourself into it

So why don't you?

(Someone DJ Neta knows made a video for the song)

Yes, yes, yes. If you want your heart broken courtesy of your ears, check these guys out.

Terry Clubbup wrote:
    I would recommend the Wilburn Brothers version 1st and the Louvin
    Brothers version 2nd.

It will give you the willies...

I've hung out with Charlie Louvin. He gave me the willies.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    if you can get your hands on any rev. gary davis (sometimes blind gary davis) he's also a winner, i don't recall any murder ballads per se but "you've got to go down" is a killer.

Hey Chzz good to see you back.

Gary Davis does a haunting version of Death Come Creeping In The Room the title might be Soon One Morning. He also does a great version of Sampson & Delilah which may not be haunting but It is about a mass murderer who destroys a building and kills everyone inside including himself because he was betrayed by a woman. Kinda biblical really.

Well Delilah, she was a woman fine and fair
    She had good looks, God knows and coal black hair
    Delilah, she came to Samson's mind
    The first he saw this woman that looked so fine
    Delilah, she set down on Samson's knee
    Said tell me where your strength lies if you please
    She spoke so kind, God knows, she talked so fair
    'til Samson said "Delilah, you can cut off my hair
    You can shave my head, clean as my hand
    And my strength 'come as natural as any a man"
    If I had my way
    If I had my way
    In this wicked world
    If I had my way
    I would tear this old building down

Dan

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Best ever:

COSIGN!

There's a couple good ones on there, including the very creepy "The First Mrs. Jones", complete with dead body buried in the woods:

Her real first name was Betty but I'd rather just forget it
    So I'll call her the First Mrs Jones
    We were married in September and it lasted till November
    Then one day she just took out on her own
    I followed her to Savannah New Orleans and then Atlanta
    Every day I begged her to come home
    Pretty soon I started drinking tryin' hard to keep from thinking
    Just how much I loved the First Mrs Jones
    It was cold and dark one morning just before the day was dawning
    When I staggered from a tavern to a phone
    When she picked up her receiver I said you're gonna come back or either
    They're gonna be calling you the Late Mrs Jones
    I put a pistol in my jacket stumbled out and hailed a taxi
    I told taxidriver to take me to her home
    I remember walkin' proudly everybody said I yelled out loudly
    Come on out or I'm gonna come in Mrs Jones
    Then next thing I recall was walking to the forest
    Lookin' for a place to hide her bones
    I dug and dug for hours and then I planted flowers
    Right on the top of the First Mrs Jones
    Did my little story scare you oh I can see cause I'm so near you
    Little beads of persperation dot your clothes
    Aren't you sorry now that you left me
    Really now doesn't you wanna come go with me
    After all you are the Second Mrs Jones

Also don't sleep on Nick Cave's cover of "Long Black Veil" here:

or his album of (mostly?) original murder ballads, with guests PJ Harvey and Kylie Minogue(!):

i dunno if anyone i used to talk with in here is still here. but hey if you are.
    if you don't know me my name's chazz and in portland, or. peace.

hollar

John Lee Hooker's "Madman Blues" features the lines (paraphrasing but not much):

"I'm gonna take you down by the riverside / and hang you up baby, by your neck / I got the madman blues"

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Best ever:

That cover is ill.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Jesus, I knew I could count on SoulStrut to bringeth the edgar allen poe-country wisdom! you guys rule. Thanks so much, I will def. check these out.

That cover is ill.

for real! it's almost like a Blue Note cover

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Though not a murder ballad in the strictest sense, Louisiana Red's "Sweetblood Call" is pretty rugged:

I have a hard time missing you baby, with my pistol in your mouth

You may be thinking about going north woman, but your brains are staying south

Even if you sneak away

I'll find you before nightfall

You're tied to me girl

I can feel your sweetblood call

"Hollis Brown" is tough to beat, though. Most of these tunes use their last verse to kinda ham-fistedly hammer their point home ("And that is why I..."), but "Hollis Brown" just quietly closes the circle, simply, finally, and terrifyingly, and the whole thing just kind of...goes...away, like it was written in water. So apocalyptic, but ultimately so small...but still: so apocalyptic. Things fall apart, you know? The Neville Brothers do a surprisingly compelling version.

Here's a takeoff on the Porter Wagoner cover by a European neo-garage band:

The back cover is great - it's almost the same shot, but has the girl walking in on the two dudes cuddling on the couch.

• oosouloosoul 2 Posts
    if you can get your hands on any rev. gary davis (sometimes blind gary davis) he's also a winner, i don't recall any murder ballads per se but "you've got to go down" is a killer.

Hey Chzz good to see you back.

Gary Davis does a haunting version of Death Come Creeping In The Room the title might be Soon One Morning. He also does a great version of Sampson & Delilah which may not be haunting but It is about a mass murderer who destroys a building and kills everyone inside including himself because he was betrayed by a woman. Kinda biblical really.

Well Delilah, she was a woman fine and fair
    She had good looks, God knows and coal black hair
    Delilah, she came to Samson's mind
    The first he saw this woman that looked so fine
    Delilah, she set down on Samson's knee
    Said tell me where your strength lies if you please
    She spoke so kind, God knows, she talked so fair
    'til Samson said "Delilah, you can cut off my hair
    You can shave my head, clean as my hand
    And my strength 'come as natural as any a man"
    If I had my way
    If I had my way
    In this wicked world
    If I had my way
    I would tear this old building down

Dan

hey Dan! long time no see man. I'm doing a night now that might not be too late for you and you could meet another vinyl obsessive. i succeeded in robbing the east of my buddy haim, who runs longtallsimon.com. i'm sure some of these cats know him, i know marco does. anyhow from 8pm-12am friday and saturday nights at the 820 lounge. 820 n russell between mint and the white eagle. i'll buy you a drink. when's the next night owl? i got hit up by so many people i owed money at the last one i couldn't cop anything!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I've hung out with Charlie Louvin. He gave me the willy.

AYYYY YOOOOOO! [/b]

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    what about scott h. biran? dude is a crazy redneck...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not really "backwoods-ee", but I've always been fond of Gram Parson's "Millers Cave" on the International Submarine Band record.

• I've hung out with Charlie Louvin. He gave me the willies.

Man o man but he is talented with the hardcore...if y'all ever see
    an album or CD that looks like this:

...pick it up...

It's got one of my all-time favorites called

"Tonight I'm Going To The Gallos" [/b]

yep.

...so bartender tie the vine around my red-neck one more time,
    cause tonight, I'm going to the Gallos

yes tonight I'll lay my heart to rest
    till her memory lets me go---
    oh, tonight I'm going to the Gallos...
    with Ernest and Julio.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Not really "backwoods-ee", but I've always been fond of Gram Parson's "Millers Cave" on the International Submarine Band record.

oh for sure. gram rules! i just found out that he was like 19 in the ISB days. damn

and the version of him singing "The Christian Life" on The Byrds' outake lp Sanctuary IV is