Black Flag hair timeline

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    awesome... yunno i don't think i have ever seen a photo of brian migol

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The title of this thread just gave me the idea of replicating the black flag logo with four mini mohawks on a shaved head.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Spot still looks exactly the same. I see him as least once a week. He'll deny that he is Spot if you ask him though. I watched The Minutemen documentary "We Jam Econo" a while back and saw him in it. When I talked to him about it he said that it wasn't him and that it was all computer generated. For someone that has had so much influence on the punk rock music scene, he wants no credit for any of it. I guess that is punk rock in itself.

• By the Henry-heads on that chart I saw them in 82/83. At a roller rink of all places.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Awesome.

I have to say I'm not as up on my Black Flag records as I probably should be. Anyone got any recommendations - where to start?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Awesome.

I have to say I'm not as up on my Black Flag records as I probably should be. Anyone got any recommendations - where to start?

probably one of the most controversial bands when it comes to the "this one is great" "this one sucks" aspect. Most punk dudes hate the stoner metal sludge like "My War", whereas "My War" is my favortie...a lot of folks think the pre-rollins stuff is the only good Black Flag...but I suppose the most agreed on as great is the first LP with rollins, "Damaged" (my second favorite).

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Awesome.

probably one of the most controversial bands when it comes to the "this one is great" "this one sucks" aspect. Most punk dudes hate the stoner metal sludge like "My War", whereas "My War" is my favortie...a lot of folks think the pre-rollins stuff is the only good Black Flag...but I suppose the most agreed on as great is the first LP with rollins, "Damaged" (my second favorite).
    I'd recommend copping the pre-Rollins comp "First Four Years", All the best of the early stuff, not a bad track on it. Damaged is good, My War has it's moments (the title track is fire) but the more you get into the 80s the patchier (ie. more removed from fast hardcore) the albums become.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Awesome.

I'd recommend copping the pre-Rollins comp "First Four Years", All the best of the early stuff, not a bad track on it. Damaged is good, My War has it's moments (the title track is fire) but the more you get into the 80s the patchier (ie. more removed from fast hardcore) the albums become.

see, what did I say

• "GET IN THE VAN!"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

see, what did I say

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Spot still looks exactly the same. I see him as least once a week. He'll deny that he is Spot if you ask him though. I watched The Minutemen documentary "We Jam Econo" a while back and saw him in it. When I talked to him about it he said that it wasn't him and that it was all computer generated. For someone that has had so much influence on the punk rock music scene, he wants no credit for any of it. I guess that is punk rock in itself.

Isn't he involved in the old time scene these days? If my mush brain serves me correctly, I believe I heard that from one of my friends in the Can Kickers who, according to mush brain, bumped into him while on tour a few years ago.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Awesome.

That timeline is killing it, thanks...

I think the issue with most of the records after "Damaged" is that the production on the records is terrible, and don't do justice to the songs. There's a bootleg from 1982 of demos the band did of "My War"/"Slip it In" era track, that completely destroys the later studio recordings. This was during the brief period that Chuck Biscuits was on drums, easily my favorite era of the group.

There are some live mp3s floating around that are of dubious quality, go here to peep:

http://www.shavedneck.com/SoundFilePage.htm#A5

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I asked for "Slip it in" for my 12th birthday. Although the cover was out there for the time (a nun grasping a priests bare leg), my mom bought it for me.

So we're driving and I put the tape in for the first time. At the end of the title track,"Slip it in", there's a part where Henry Rollins and a girl are making sex sounds. It was a real awkward moment for both my mother and I. We both sat through it, pretending not to hear it.

A year ago I had a chance to tell that to Henry Rollins, and he laughed for a good minute. Then he told me the female on that track was one of the girls from the band L7. Forgot which one.

I was always amused by that story, and it was nice to amuse the person responsible for my discomfort as a child. lol

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    The title of this thread just gave me the idea of replicating the black flag logo with four mini mohawks on a shaved head.

I'm trying to get my boss to make some t-shirts for my kitchen staff...black flag related...

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Awesome.

Exactly! That one includes the Nervous Breakdown and Jealous Again EP's. Essential Flag if you ask me.
    Nervous Breakdown is so good to play real loud when you get all frustrated over something.