ok another production question

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
since you guys have been so kind as to help me with my other questions concerning production let me hit you with another one....should I splurge and get a protools setup??? I heard if you save files recorded in other programs as .omf files you can dump them into protools. Is that true? Cause if it is I don't see the point of buying a pro tools rig just you can be "compatible" with countless professional studios...Anyone know about this?

Comments

• since you guys have been so kind as to help me with my other questions concerning production let me hit you with another one....should I splurge and get a protools setup??? I heard if you save files recorded in other programs as .omf files you can dump them into protools. Is that true? Cause if it is I don't see the point of buying a pro tools rig just you can be "compatible" with countless professional studios...Anyone know about this?

here is the deal with pro tools and why i think it has a reputable rep aound the way. their product is solid. it has its little quirks and problems here and there like the hardware being exclusive to the software, but it has all the bases covered.

it is easy as fuck to use. i was in a session working on somethings a half hour after purchasing.

it has become affordable. mbox for $450? yes plaese.

being compatible with other studios doesn't matter too much. you can always load track by track into another rig if necessary. but other programs will always try to be friendly to users with features that make it easier to use with pro tools, it is a great selling tactic. i still have never used logic. but if you know pro tools i can't imagine it being that hard. most functions and theories carry over.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I've got a lot of the professional production tools, but I still prefer using the early version of Acid that I copped free a few years ago, bundled with some other software I bought.

Its basic as feck - I need to edit my samples in a seperate wave editor (steinberg wavelab or whatever), but does the job for what I want to do, which is basically just looping and arrangement.

I dont use an amazing amount of VSTs. Only really normalizing and cutting up tracks, the rest is put through effects units as its recorded, so my needs are very little.

As long as the output is decent in terms of audio quality, I reckon just get what suits your needs.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    so yo...can you dump music projects made on other computer production programs to pro tools if you export it to cd as a .omf file????

• i don't know abotu all programs but i know pro tools will read logic files. you have to get a converter though

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    I've got a lot of the professional production tools, but I still prefer using the early version of Acid that I copped free a few years ago, bundled with some other software I bought.
    Amen! I always felt ashamed of using Acid(the program) but its so damn simple and easy to work with. Acid users stand up!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    so yo...can you dump music projects made on other computer production programs to pro tools if you export it to cd as a .omf file????

yess.

you cannot, however, import all the effects or other things of that nature into the session. basically, if you plan on exporting to an OMF, you might as well just have a system to track in(record to, however you want to say it), then dump it to an OMF and get whoever it is thats going to mix it, to mix it.

but on the real, protools is that hot shit.