Washington, DC...where should I go?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I am going to be in DC this weekend w/ some friends that have a gig at a club and wanted to know what I should do Sat and Sunday. Where's some cool places to check out,etc? Maybe some good record stores, boutiques, whatever. I like kicks, good food, and good marijuana. Where should I be?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    good marijuana

there are a plethora of coffee shops in dc selling amazing bud
    you can't miss,they are on every corner

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Good Food:[/b]
    - Bens Chili Bowl, U St -- that's a MUST
    - World's Famous Florida Ave Grill, Florida Ave
    - Pepitos, Columbia Rd
    - The Greek Spot, 11th & U (behind bohemian caverns)
    - Amsterdam Falafel, 18th St
    - Tropicana, Florida Ave
    - Soul Vegetarian, Georgia Ave

Good Shows:[/b]
    my friends have an installation at the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery, 8th & F St

a couple others are doing something for a show this weekend too, which i can find out the details for you later on today.

good marijuana

there are a plethora of coffee shops in dc selling amazing bud
    you can't miss,they are on every corner

Kaffa House [RIP]

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Definitely visit SoulStrut's own Som Records! Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville is decent, too.

• Great..thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am going to try to fit as much as I can in the very limited time I have there.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I am going to be in DC this weekend w/ some friends that have a gig at a club and wanted to know what I should do Sat and Sunday. Where's some cool places to check out,etc? Maybe some good record stores, boutiques, whatever. I like kicks, good food, and good marijuana. Where should I be?

How long will you be there? Gil Scott Heron is at the 9:30 club 04/19/08. This weekend I would go to some Go Go shows.

The "new" Trouble Funk might be worth checking out....

I would go to some Go Go shows.

ha! if he knows how to get around the PG suburbs.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I like that flyer, "Security by PG County", LOL

ia that the name of an actual security company, or is that shorthand for Prince George's County Cops?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Smithsonian

• If your into kicks you should check out

Major - www.majordc.com

Kickballers - www.kickballersdc.com

and

Commenwealth. - www.cmonwealth.com

I would just stick to major. They have what you need.

Other suggestions are all on point.

ia that the name of an actual security company, or is that shorthand for Prince George's County Cops?

yeah, Prince George's County PD. Capitol Heights, along with SE [which is pretty much in MD] is across the river, and it's all suburban. there's a few metro stops around to some of the go-go venues like Naylor Rd, but for the most part, the only go-go shows IN the city are usually for bigger events like Chuck Brown shows, or festivals. the closest metro to that TF show is morgan blvd, but you'll have to walk a little bit.

if you are in the PG suburbs, peep Memory Lane Records.

yeah, Prince George's County PD. Capitol Heights, along with SE [which is pretty much in MD] is across the river, and it's all suburban. there's a few metro stops around to some of the go-go venues like Naylor Rd, but for the most part, the only go-go shows IN the city are usually for bigger events like Chuck Brown shows, or festivals. the closest metro to that TF show is morgan blvd, but you'll have to walk a little bit.

if you are in the PG suburbs, peep Memory Lane Records.

Yes, if you are mobile, head out to Memory Lane and tell Marsh you are a strutter.

And PG cops don't play, if you go to that Trouble Funk show, behave thyself.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Don't forget the College Park record show is happening this Saturday from 10AM-3PM:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1084939&an=0&page=0#Post1084939

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    If you're into jazz, there are some good recommendations in this thread:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post997851

I'm going to be in D.C. this weekend as well. Anything of note happening Friday or Saturday night?

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    has anyone been to the spy museum? On CNN I saw some of the James Bond gadgets they have there, it looked kind of interesting.

I'm DJing upstairs at Marvin (corner of 14th and U) this Saturday starting at 10PM. Gonna play funk, soul, Brazilian, reggae, and salsa. No microwave, no cover. Come by and say high.

• kickballers is closed.

you should try to get some Ethiopian food while you are in town -- DC has a huge Ethiopian population and some great restaurants.

I recommend Dukem (12th and U) or Etete (9th and U)

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm DJing upstairs at Marvin (corner of 14th and U) this Saturday starting at 10PM. Gonna play funk, soul, Brazilian, reggae, and salsa. No microwave, no cover. Come by and say high.

We have a winner!

May pay another visit to your shop as well.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    has anyone been to the spy museum? On CNN I saw some of the James Bond gadgets they have there, it looked kind of interesting.

I've heard good things. Been there twice and never got in (line too long). I suggest buying tickets beforehand.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

We have a winner!

Is there usually a line to get into Marvin? Should I show up early?

We have a winner!

There is on the weekend unless you come early or real late. PM me if you're gonna come.

• Me and the Soulpower guys from Richmond will be droppin the funk bombs at the 18th St. Lounge Saturday night:

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    does anyone know what magazine those photos of Ms Grier originate? wasnt it called 'player' or something?

We have a winner!

There is on the weekend unless you come early or real late. PM me if you're gonna come.

Yes, get there early and stake out a table. DCDigga and I are doing the Friday night set tomorrow, I will be there 6pm-10pm, Marshall from 10pm to close.

• does anyone know what magazine those photos of Ms Grier originate? wasnt it called 'player' or something?

Players magazine from 1979

• Damn, what a shame I won't be able to check these spots on Saturday night since my friends gig is the same night. I won't be arriving Friday until late as hell, so Fri night is out of the question as well. I didn't realize so many strutters were in the DC area.

Sounds like no one knows what's good w/ the ....or do they?

I do appreciate all of the recommendations.