Joe's Record Paradise --Anyone Else Been Here?--

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
This spot is in Rockvill, MD and I dig the shit out of it. It's the first record place I'd ever seen as a kid and it's probably the reason that I'm a record nerd today. The owner is a pretty big Blues fanatic but they have a solid selection of pretty much every genre worth listening too. Plus the vibe there is mad laid back. Just wanted to see if any MD heads have heard of/been to this place. If you are in the area and haven't been, I suggest checking that shit out.End

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Good store, I wish it was closer to where I am in DC. Plus it is so large, that I always am pressed for time when I do get out there!

I don't know if the one P*trick who does a Psych night with DJ Neville C posts/lurks here, but I know he works out there some.

Make sure to ask about the stuff behind the counter!

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    wow, totally forgot about that place. i haven't been there since maybe '01?

dude was an ass.

• used to go the the one near Baltimore, I think on Harford Rd. Place was awesome, I believe it closed.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

dude was an ass.

Aw, man. That sucks. Dude never seemed to be mean when I was there. Was it the owner?

I remember eavesdropping on a conversation that the owner was having with soe old OG and they were arguing over if this one blues artist was dead or not. The OG customer was like "dude is dead, I know it...I was a pall bearer at his funeral" and Joe was like "nah, man...he's alive I saw him last month"...they bet a meal at the Mediterranean joint down the street and Joe won...it was kinda' funny...but I'm not really doing it much justice...

But, sorry dude was a prick to you...

Was it the owner?

yeah. did you ever know about his w**eh**se?

What is that? I have no clue what that is...weedsack?

...weedsack?

dude, i just LOL'ed! you made my day man hahahaha!

off topic, in HS my friend Ben met this dude Ryu one night while riding an electric wheelchair with a lap full of beers down the block. i don't think we ever found out dudes real name, but he looked like Ryu and was drinking on the stoop of his scientologist grandparents house. he made his own beer in their house and we drank and smoked with dude on several occasions after that. but one night we were over there and his grandparents were doing some renovations and there was a copper pipe with an elbow fitting on it, so someone decided to outline it where it was sitting with a marker, and write WEEDPIPE with an arrow pointing to it.

the next time we went over to his [grandparents] house they said that Les had moved to Montana to do construction.

Les?

weedsack...weedpipe

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    When I moved down to DC metro area, this was the first place I hit. It's pretty good; I've found some sealed goodness there. I just posted about it in the DC visit thread, too.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    stopped through there on a road trip to dc last year. dude had a bunch of go-go joints that i scooped. a few other trifles, but nothing too amazing. i would have loved to have spent more time there though. had a lady friend sleeping the car waiting for me... then we had bbq at the spot next door and hit the road back to mn.

...weedsack?

dude, i just LOL'ed! you made my day man hahahaha!

off topic, in HS my friend Ben met this dude Ryu one night while riding an electric wheelchair with a lap full of beers down the block. i don't think we ever found out dudes real name, but he looked like Ryu and was drinking on the stoop of his scientologist grandparents house. he made his own beer in their house and we drank and smoked with dude on several occasions after that. but one night we were over there and his grandparents were doing some renovations and there was a copper pipe with an elbow fitting on it, so someone decided to outline it where it was sitting with a marker, and write WEEDPIPE with an arrow pointing to it.

the next time we went over to his [grandparents] house they said that Les had moved to Montana to do construction.

Les?

weedsack...weedpipe

Dude, they booted him for the weedpipe antics. Seriously, tho...what were you talking about the owner and his w**********?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    the owner must have a whorehouse or something

the old local (they had some big concerts in the parking lot)
    & the early years after the move you could still come up
    but it has been a while for r-ville
    the harford road spot always had something & i miss it !

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Joe's is definitely not what it used to be but good stuff still passes through there from time to time. One advantage to having been in business as long as they have is that people bring them records all the time. Record collector dad dies, who do you call? Joe's.
    Wish it was bit closer to DC though. Rockville traffic bites the big one.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Don't know about that, but I do know he had problems with Baltimore Vice because someone snitched about bootleg LPs and CDs being sold there. This was about 4 years back, and I got the impression that it was some bullshit over old Neil Young boot LPs from the 70s like you see at record shows and in the back pages of Goldmine. But I just remembered with a laugh that it was the Vice Squad who raided the stores looking for product....maybe it was really about a wh**eh**se?

Record Store Owners = unlikeliest Bordello operators ever.

Record Store Owners = unlikeliest Bordello operators ever.

Ha'....truer words might never be spoken...

So Gaffler, what the hell...Joe had a whorehouse?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    used to go the the one near Baltimore, I think on Harford Rd. Place was awesome, I believe it closed.

Yeah, it closed. I used to go there from time to time. Never been to the OG.

warehouse, yes
    whorehouse, yes- wait, no...maybe

i don't know if it's still "around", but i knew a few people use to have access to it years ago. it was real hush-hush. there use to be rumors that second story had a deal with him to keep their records stocked from the same warehouse.

• I heard Joe keeps his enormous backstock on a floating airship "around" jessup. It's real hush hush, but rumor has it that a certain reptilian had a deal with him to use it as a boss level.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

warehouse, yes
    whorehouse, yes- wait, no...maybe

i don't know if it's still "around", but i knew a few people use to have access to it years ago. it was real hush-hush. there use to be rumors that second story had a deal with him to keep their records stocked from the same warehouse.

i am very disappointed that its not a weedsack.

I heard Joe keeps his enormous backstock on a floating airship "around" STRIKE>jessup/STRIKE> Savage[/b]. It's real hush hush, but rumor has it that a certain reptilian had a deal with him to use it as a boss level.