Seattle Eats - what's good?

2»

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Spud's fish and chips on Alki is the realness and Red Mill burgers are EXTRA OFFICIAL!!!!!! I love their verde burger with the green chile.

Ahh common ground, both those spots are yummy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Spud's fish and chips on Alki is the realness and Red Mill burgers are EXTRA OFFICIAL!!!!!! I love their verde burger with the green chile.

Ahh common ground, both those spots are yummy.

Yes sir! Two CLASSIC Seattle joints right there.

• fronting on asian food in seattle is a bad move. outside of the bay and nyc, there is no place outside of asia that can fuck with seattle on the asian food tip.

i know i'm new around these parts and i haven't lived in seattle for a while, but i'll take the pepsi challenge on this one.

tamarid (sp?) in the i.d. (more like the c.d., but i digress) is killin it. it seems to be better when it's not busy though.

cafe flora breakfast/brunch is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. the hi spot in madrona also used to be chronic, but it's been a while. most of the ethiopian food in seattle is legit. red mill gets co-signed a million times. and romio's kicks the teeth out of piecoras as far as pizza goes. garlic crust is a must. is ms. helens still in effect? that is the soul food jump. and what's that place on rainier where the fat white lady made seriously large hamburgers?....and ezells never dissapoints anyone i've ever sent there/took there.

i could go on and on. it looks like you got it covered but i had to chime in. food is one reason i had to get back to the town for a while.

fronting on asian food in seattle is a bad move. outside of the bay and nyc, there is no place outside of asia that can fuck with seattle on the asian food tip.

i know i'm new around these parts and i haven't lived in seattle for a while, but i'll take the pepsi challenge on this one.

tamarid (sp?) in the i.d. (more like the c.d., but i digress) is killin it. it seems to be better when it's not busy though.

cafe flora breakfast/brunch is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. the hi spot in madrona also used to be chronic, but it's been a while. most of the ethiopian food in seattle is legit. red mill gets co-signed a million times. and romio's kicks the teeth out of piecoras as far as pizza goes. garlic crust is a must. is ms. helens still in effect? that is the soul food jump. and what's that place on rainier where the fat white lady made seriously large hamburgers?....and ezells never dissapoints anyone i've ever sent there/took there.

i could go on and on. it looks like you got it covered but i had to chime in. food is one reason i had to get back to the town for a while.

there is no place outside of asia that can fuck with seattle on the asian food tip. [/b]

WOW! LOL. That is a serious statement there Ziggy. I have some news for you. I LOVE Seattle and all the great Asian food we have here and I live in Chinatown hommie so believe me, I know the deal. Besides the bay and NYC here is the deal... The Asian food in Vancouver and Toronto Canada is KILLIN' Seattle!!!!! The HK Chinese food and East Indian food in Richmond B.C. is incredible. You should go up there for a weekend. Toronto has THREE Chinatowns and they also have next level joints like 24 HR pho shops. Toronto is NO joke with the Asian food. Garden Grove, CA in Orange County has the largest Vietnamese population in the U.S. and the Vietnamese food there is off the hook. You really think the Korean food in the Seattle area is fuckin' with Korea town in Los Angeles? No way. I have also had excellent Korean, Thai and Japanese food in London. I could go on and on but I think you get the point.
    Now on to the places you mentioned in Seattle,

Tamarind Tree is good, but Greenleaf Vietnamese restaurant is much better. Greenleaf has the best Vietnamese food in the city.

Cafe Flora is top notch. No one in their right mind will argue with that.

There is mos def a lot of good Ethiopian food in Seatown.

Red Mill burgers all day.

Romio's pizza is straight garbation like all the rest of the pizza in Seattle except for a couple spots.

Ms. Helen's closed back in like 2002 after the big earthquake and never re-opened. Ms. Helen has been cooking at various restaurants around town. Currently she is cooking at Rose Petals Restaurant, 6901 Martin Luther King Jr. Way.

Ezell's is official, even Oprah Winfrey knows that.

• alright. i haven't been in seattle, so i'm probably talking out my ass a tad bit, but i would say, pound for pound, across the board, seattle dominates over most places.

korean...i'll concede that l.a. has it on lock. it's my least fav. of all asian persuasions, but my korean friend made a bold statement about l.a. being official with the bbq, so i'll go with that.

vietnamese...i'll agree to disagree with that. i dated a vietnamese chick who grew up in norwalk and every spot she took me to, i was like "nah honey." i did have outlandishly on point vietnamese food in houston (i heard that they have the most vietnamese folks, but this was 99).

and london? for real? unless you are willing to shell out dumb loot, i would say you were tripping on this point. even my folks in london concede that the food there is wrong. you can get good indian, but other than that....i don't know man. and i only eat asian food (or nandos) when i am in london.

here's my point on seattle: you can get a pretty banging meal from any asian country in seattle. even left-field thangs like cambodian, loastion (meaning food from laos, i'm not sure on how to phrase that), and indonesian.

and the other thing about seattle, and again i haven't been around for a while, you can kind of blindly walk into a spot and it will score at least a 7. the same cannot be said for most major cities i've been to, at least in my experience.

i've been meaning to check out van. a bit more, and it makes sense given their racial make up.

i grew up on romio's so i am biased, but straight garbation? i don't know. it's way different than your usual pie, but their sauce does it for me, plus the garlic crust?!? son....

but if you live in l.a. for awhile (like i did), even that nasty pizza dude used to sell outside of art bar seems truthful. good pizza in l.a. is very hard to find.

but this is one of those things that literally comes down to taste.

is richlen's still around and is their chicken still kickin? i heard about a cuban/pork sandwhich spot that popped up in fremont. i've heard good things.

do you big chan, or anyone else, know the place on rainier i am talking about? i can't remember what that place was called. all i remember is the big lady in the kitchen cooking the biggest burgers i've ever seen. it took forever to cook, but was well worth the wait.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    alright. i haven't been in seattle, so i'm probably talking out my ass a tad bit, but i would say, pound for pound, across the board, seattle dominates over most places.

wait... what?

one thing i miss about seattle, and this might sound horrible, but there are teriyaki spots everywhere! simple, quick, cheap and filling. there isn't a single teriyaki spot in mpls. i'm not saying it compares to good asian food, but its good fast food.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Seriously. I pretty much only eat Teriyaki and Thai. It's everywhere around here. I remember Otto used to murder the Yakisoba! Big shouts to everyone in town for stopping by my club night last evening. Was a really good night until some jack ass jumped over the bar and punched the bar tender around 12:30. The girl to guy ratio was bananas last night.

Was a really good night until some jack ass jumped over the bar and punched the bar tender around 12:30.

Oh boy. Fools don't know how to act. The women were looking dope at your joint.

• I loved Tamarind Tree. Haven't been to the other Vietnamese spot, but TT was some of the best I've ever had. And Ron REagan jr was there, so it had to be official.

Palace Kitchen is a classic and still really good...Tom Douglas is like the Mario Batali/Bobby Flay of Seattle. I liked Lark a lot. The NYTimes, for whatever that's worth, just named a spot called Tilth one of the ten best new restaurants in the country.

I think Seattle is a pretty strong food town.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Taste of India in the U-District is off the chain.

Tutta Bella???s in Columbia City and Walingford is bananas. Seriously some of the best pizza I've had. They've got this official seal from Italy saying they make it the correct way. (according to their standards)

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

See this kind of talk is why we need Chan up in here REGULATING.

For my money almost all Indian food in Seattle is terrible, which is weird in a city with such a large Indian population. The two decent places are both in Redmond. Udupi Palace in Crossroads Mall and Preet's Casual Indian Dining.

Other old favorites not yet mentioned:

Paseo (Fremont)
    La Carta de Oaxaca (Ballard)
    Carmelita (Phinney Ridge)
    Harvest Vine (Madison Valley)
    Eva (Greenlake)
    Restaurant Zoe (Belltown)
    Georgia's Greek (Crown Hill)
    Pecos Pit (SoDo)
    Maneki (quality has been really up and down over the last few years)

I gotta go get lunch at Salumi next time I'm in town. I used to go there at least once a week.

• Paseo (Fremont)

Great sandwich for sure. I don't think I've ever seen so many people crammed into such a small restaurant as you see at this place during the lunch hours.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Was a really good night until some jack ass jumped over the bar and punched the bar tender around 12:30.

"The women were looking dope at your joint."

I was busy playing so couldn't get any flicks last night but took this one when I walked in. Absolute sponsored the night and we were giving out Kanye glasses to help promote his upcoming concert here. Safe to say there were definately ladies in the bldg. last night. You should have came back Chan!

See this kind of talk is why we need Chan up in here REGULATING.

• MTKMTK 45 Posts
    Best Teriyaki place I've ever been to is on the Bellevue/Factoria line next to a japanese video store and across the street from a cemetary.

Why are there no kebab places in the US? If they put one of those joints in the U-District, or on the hill, shit would go nuts. I want to move to Europe just so I can have some

• if by "kebab" you are talking bout falafel, lamb, chicken and other thangs put into a pita, i recall alladin on the ave. being cheap and decent and open late. cedars on the ave. was pretty decent as well. and the other spot with the counter a little more north on the ave. was legit. there was also a place somewhere more north....like in wedgewood or something. i forget. and then there was a spot downtown towards pioneer square that was good and had on point turkish coffee. but i am admittedly out of the loop.

teriyaki used to be my main diet as well. yasuko's up on like 10th and james was my spot as well as yak's over by u-village. the cook was mad nice there but he had a wife that was pure evil.